Silva Stout | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Silva StoutSilva Stout

4.28/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,071 |  Reviews: 257

Butter popcorn infection, shit. Green Flash = Washington Generals

Something was off with this beer, It had to be infected. Shared a 750ml bottle between 4 people and we all dumped it. Very unfortunate, especially because of the cost of the bottle. We saved it for the last one of the night and were so disappointed.

1.18/5  rDev -72.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

Was like liquid roasted popcorn and butter, infected bottle

1.18/5  rDev -72.4%

On tap at Banger's Anniversary

Blatant diacetyl flaw, undrinkable. Nose was like I was snorting movie theater popcorn butter.

1.31/5  rDev -69.4%

Well, this was a major let down. Was one of the 2015 bottles. Right off the bat we all knew something was wrong. Smells like shitty butterscotch. Only goes down hill from here. Taste is cherry like and even shittier butterscotch. Huge let down for the almost $20 price tag.

1.32/5  rDev -69.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

I traded for this beer years ago and it was delicious. I was so excited to see it on the shelves in my area that I didn't even question dropping $20 on a bottle.

Sadly, this is not the same beer I had previously. As soon as a popped the cork, I was hit with vinegary butter. There are hints of what this beer should be in the background, but the apparent infection has taken over.

I had already given up on Green Flash's hoppy beers because the dating is so inconsistent/ridiculous. Now I feel like I can't even trust the other stuff. I will be swearing them off completely until they fix these issues.

1.42/5  rDev -66.8%
look: 4 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Mine was infected. Very disappointed.

1.68/5  rDev -60.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

1.76/5  rDev -58.9%

1.84/5  rDev -57%

1.86/5  rDev -56.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

1.89/5  rDev -55.8%

Popcorn butter. Undrinkable. Worst beer of 2015

2.14/5  rDev -50%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Potential bad keg, pure diecytl

2.4/5  rDev -43.9%

Was looking fwd to this one for awhile only to be super let down by the infected batch. I emailed green flash and was told reparations would be made to those who spent money on these infected bottles. I have yet to hear anything more from green flash. Will avoid buying their beers from now on.

2.5/5  rDev -41.6%

2.52/5  rDev -41.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at The American Craft Beer Fest Yesterday.
Rich coffee and chocolate with a huge hit of diacytyl. This one isn't right and shouldn't be served.

2.61/5  rDev -39%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Catch up rating from Saturday’s RS bottle share. The rumors of infection were swirling, and indeed something seemed a little off here. At that price point, I would feel ripped off....

2.63/5  rDev -38.6%

Off flavors, something wrong with this batch

2.66/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

2015 Batch 01: Brewed in April 2013 with golden naked oats, dark crystal and roasted malts, then aged for 18 months in American oak bourbon barrels and bottled on February 16, 2015. Pours black hole black color with zero light anywhere to be found that leads up to a nice creamy 1 finger tan/khaki head that was full of tiny bubbles and faded very slowly, leaving excellent foamy lacing coating the sides.

Smells is odd and not what I expected from the look; it’s a mix of maple syrup, spoiled chocolate milk, oak, vanilla, faint caramel, toffee, yeast, rotting fruit like pears and cherry, and finally a whiff of stagnant leftover beer like the overflow in a bucket after a daytime keg party. The nose did not have the rich malt or bourbon I expected and was more like rotting fruit and cheap keg beer with a box of red wine dumped in it. Heartbreaking as the hype and looks had me excited for this bottle, but the nose registered senses and aromas that just don’t make sense. There is no sign of the ABV, but the sour milk smell leads me to question if this bottle is tainted.

Tastes a little sweeter than the nose, but the same off flavors come through like they did in the nose: spoiled chocolate milk, oak, vanilla, faint caramel, toffee, yeast, rotting fruit, maple syrup, cheap red wine like MadDog 20/20 and some mild coffee.

WTF? The bottle is gorgeous, the pour looks good, the ratings are high, and then I pop the cork and this borderline drain pour sits before me. I am struggling to get through 1 glass of this bomber; it reminds me of going down and eating bad sushi if you know what I mean…yikes, what happened here?!?? This bottle must have gotten contaminated as it crossed the US in my mail order because I’m having a hard time accepting that this beer could be this bad with so many high ratings and reviews. Done here, I need to get another bottle which I will age longer and pray for the best. At $20 per bottle it is a sin to dump half of this, but it’s that not enjoyable for me.

2/15/2016: Cracked open another 2015 Batch 01: Brewed in April 2013 and bottled on February 16, 2015. It's a year in the bottle and looks just as good but tastes just as nasty and infected. What a damn shame and waste of good beer and money.

2.75/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Butterscotch bomb. Was hoping my bottle wouldn't be one of them. I even like some butterscotch flavor, but way too much.

2.79/5  rDev -34.8%

The taste seemed off on this one. Tasted like nail polish on the back end. I have one more hopefully it's better than this one was.

Silva Stout from Green Flash Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 91.4% out of 100 with 1,071 ratings