Silva Stout | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Silva StoutSilva Stout

Liked:
4.28/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,071 |  Reviews: 257

What a great little beer. On my top ten at the moment. Bought a case, and sold out before I was able to get another one. Chocolate and molasses hits the nose. Bourbon aroma, strong coffee is there and present up front. It's a kicker of a beer. Strong and chocolaty swirled on my palate. It sweetens up a bit as it warms in my glass.

Serving type: Bottle served in a room tempurature tulip glass.

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured into a wine glass, shared a 12oz with warnerry
A: 1/4 finger of dark brown head with fair retention. Near opaque dark brown. More head would be nice. The head only sticks around as a film.
S: Vanilla, some bourbon. Nice slight cherry. Some buttery aroma, maybe diacetyl? This makes it smell almost cake-like. Mississippi mud cake in a glass.
T: Chocolate, bittersweet cocoa, very slight bourbon. Some fruit. Fudge-like. Maybe slight coconut. I like how the bourbon is subdued.
M: Warm, not hot. Smooth, viscous, bitter from cocoa. Silky.
O: Would have been able to drink the entire 12 oz gladly. The scarcity maybe leads me to a greater appreciation. I would love to have this again. One of the best BBS I've had. Full flavored and not hot.

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

12oz bottle poured into tulip / Have also had this on tap several times.

A: Pitch black with a nice dark chocolate mocha color head. Good 2 inches of head with a nice slightly aggressive pour

S:Wonderful! bourbon, chocolate syrup, coco nibs, coffee, and just a wonderful vanilla oak smell.

T: I get a little bit of bitter coffee and roast at first followed by a very wonderful blend of bourbon, chocolate syrup, and barrel aged flavors that come through on the finish

M: smooth and creamy. carbonation is just enough.

O: I love this beer. i have probably killed at least a couple four packs with ease. I wish they would make this stuff again.

Servin

4.94/5  rDev +15.4%

4.93/5  rDev +15.2%

Batch 1

Served from a 12oz bottle into a Smutty half pint. Shared with RoninTK3.

Appearance- Pitch black with little mocha head. Some solid lacing.

Smell- Heavy Bourbon. Caramel and vanilla, some coffee and chocolate, but mostly bourbon and oak.

Taste- Chocolate, caramel, vanilla, bitter malt, oak, cherry. Extremely light booze. Super smooth. No heat.

Mouthfeel- Very smooth, light viscosity, mild carbonation, no heat or booze.

Overall- This is hands down the best bourbon barrel stout I've had to date. Super happy I could try this.

4.92/5  rDev +15%

Ok, my mind has been blown by this one. I love stouts, but to be honest, I've had alot of letdowns when it comes to BBA stouts. I've also found some that I really love, but this one is perfect for me. I'm not saying I'll never come across one better than this, but wow. I've been lucky enough to have this on-tap during Cleveland Beer Week, and didn't think I'd ever see a bottle on shelves.. lucky me.

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours black, nice 1 inch mocha head. Beautiful wicked lacing and retention, I'm talkin beautiful lacing and retention. Smells like tons of milk chocolate, dark chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and a touch of bourbon. Smells like a double chocolate cookie. All of that can be found in the flavors as well. The bourbon is blended harmoniously. There's a nice sweetness, but far from cloyingly sweet. Not bitter. Chocolate and coffee/expresso dominate. Every once in awhile I catch a blast of vanilla. Oak/wood is there, but not dominant. There's also a touch of caramel and butterscotch. Mouthfeel is perfect. It's not milkshake thick, but thick enough. Perfectly carbonated, so damn smooth. This beer can be dangerously drinkable, because it's so good you'd never want to stop. Such a treat, very complex. Aromas and flavors are extremely bold. This is the REAL deal.

I'm confident this is the best stout I've ever had, to date. World class, phenomenal.

4.92/5  rDev +15%

Shared a couple bottles with a few BA's recently.

A-Jet black with a nice brown head that fades into some thick lacing.

S-A big bourbon aroma, vanilla, oak, coffee and some dark malts.

T-Awesome bourbon aroma but the blending has took it from being over the top to complementing the vanilla, and oak. I get some cherry like fruitiness in the middle with some wood notes. It has a very nice boozy finish.

M-Nicely carbonated with a creamy mouthfeel. Some stouts come off harsh like they're tearing apart your mouth, not this one, it's like the beers making love to my mouth.

D-A delicious bourbon bomb! I'm getting a case of this!

I'm very surprised and delighted by Green Flash on this one. Good job guys!

4.91/5  rDev +14.7%

A - Near jet black with some thin mocha lacing

S - Lots of bourbon. Chocolate, roasted malts, and alcohol come through. Some vanilla.

T - Wow! The bourbon does not overpower the flavor like it does the smell. Lots of chocolate, roasted malts, and bitterness nicely complemented by the bourbon. This is a perfectly balanced stout.

M - Smooth and medium bodied with light carbonation. A bit of alcohol heat on the finish but hard to believe this has a 10.1% ABV.

This is easily one of the best stouts I've ever had. Perfectly balanced and goes down very easy for the ABV. The bourbon complements this one rather than is the predominant flavor.

4.9/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

A - Deep brownish black with a finger mocha head. Lacing slowly blotches down the side of the glass. A thin mocha patch remains on top with a healthy ring. For me, the epitome of a perfect looking imperial stout.

S - sweet, vanilla heavy bourbon, a touch of wood and sweet, vanilla-y and raisin-y brandy. Roasty and caramely malts are heavy here.

T - Oh wow...this is solid. Tastes like a blend of bourbon and brandy; plenty of sweet vanilla, rum raisin, burnt sugar, caramel, milk chocolate with hints of wood and coffee. The sweetness is counterbalanced with some coffee grounds and dark chocolate bitterness, resulting in a fair amount of dryness in the finish. Reminds me of a fresh KBS, but better.

M - Just a little too thin. It definitely has a medium body, but I want a little more viscosity here. Carbonation is spot on.

D - This is a fantastic sipper, but at the same time, the bourbon./brandy sweetness has me drinking this quickly. I'd drink this constantly if possible. Seriously, Green Flash, I'd be fine if you completely scrapped any other annual beer to make more room for this.

Silva Stout from Green Flash Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 91.4% out of 100 with 1,071 ratings