Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Rayon Vert | Green Flash Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Rayon VertRayon Vert

Green Flash Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Added by ocelot2500 on 12-14-2011

Reviews: 428 | Ratings: 1,365
2.52/5  rDev -35.5%

I tried this at Quencher's Saloon in Chicago. $5 for a 12oz bottle served in a small brandy snifter.

It took awhile to see what color it was because the entire glass filled up with frothy white foam from top to bottom. After a 10 minute wait (I'm not exaggerating) about half the foam dissipated showing a honey/orange liquid. Lacing was good but the retention bordered on being ridiculous.

The beer had a hoppy citrus smell.

Complex mix of flavors that just don't work well together. It's both bitter and sweet, fruity and funky, but the resulting taste is like a bitter medicinal band-aid dipped in fruity alcohol. I didn't care for it at all.

Between light and medium bodied with very high carbonation.

One reviewer thought it tasted like a dirty sock. I won't go that far, but I didn't much care for it either.

2.67/5  rDev -31.7%

Brett, yeast, apples, pears, spices, and well....this is a pretty good example of American's doing a Belgian pale ale. The carbonation and body are both wonderful. Sadly I'm not a huge fan of these flavors. There's an almost scotch like element mixed in with fruity and sour notes. I don't like how this all blends as far as flavors go.

2.72/5  rDev -30.4%

12oz bottle. Pours a hazy copper amber with a big rocky off-white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is bready malts with spicy earthy yeasty notes and a touch of brett as it warms.

The flavor is subdued - watery earthy malts and a little fruit with spicy floral hops that linger in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and watery with lots of sharp carbonation.

Overall, I haven't really liked the Belgian IPAs, and this is not a great rendition of one (watery, subdued). I didn't pick up much brett - a little came out as it warmed.

2.81/5  rDev -28.1%

I didn't like this bottle, fresh from Pizza Port Carlsblad store. So if you disagree you needn't read any further. A light golden body with a white foamy 3/8" head, lacy. Funky aroma - armpit sweat, menthol, my socks wt and used. The taste is comparable to floor wax, foot liniment, and pepper. Lots of menthol build up as I drink further into it, but it is not all that drinkable and I am forcing myself. Crazy stuff.

2.82/5  rDev -27.9%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a De Molen beer stemflute in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Expectations are above average; this brewery has impressed me in the past. Served refrigerator cold.

A: Pours a two finger head of decent cream, good thickness, and great retention - especially considering the above average ABV. Colour is a nontransparent murky copper. Not unique nor special, but generally appealing.

Sm: A moderately strong aroma of unexpected brett funkiness, sourness, wild yeast, and vague light hints of citrus esters. Very unexpected and interesting for a pale ale. I really didn't see that coming at all. I'm intrigued.

T: The funkiness is tonal and light, but unmistakably present, reaching its naked apex in the finish. It's yeasty without feeling sedimentary. In fact, yeast may be its main note alongside the vague malts and buried hints of citrus. Atypical and interesting for the style, but also simple and boring - even a bit bland. Bring out the funkiness or the malts. The flavours are muted rather than subtle - to its detriment (and my chagrin). No alcohol comes through.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with some cream on the finish. Not too thick or too thin per se, but it never feels quite right. It should be a bit lighter on the palate.

Dr: Drinkable but unremarkable. This boring pale ale from Green Flash intrigues with its funkiness, but quickly grows tired when it offers little else.

C

3.04/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bottle: solid brown 650mL longneck, with an acceptable non-macro label.

Appearance: even though I poured gently, this erupted into a veritable fountain of head. Once it had settled, it had a good, hazy mid-straw colouring with a thick and creamy head.

Aroma: there is a definite funky yeast up front, with remnants of fruity hops in the background, and some earthen flavours. Quite muted for the style, probably due to the explosion of head.

Taste: this beer takes a serious dive in this department - there are some pleasant Belgian ale qualities here - Belgian yeasts, earthen and spiced flavours - but they are overpowered by a truly unpleasant and pungent off-yeasty dirty flavour coming from the head.

Aftertaste: once the head had dissipated to almost nothingness and took away that dreadful taste carried through it, this is quite a decent Belgian pale. Those flavours that came across on the nose carry through here, with Belgian yeasts taking the main stage. Much better.

Mouth feel: no complaints here - with a medium body and fine but steady carbonation.

Overall: for AU$13 (2013) a bottle, I was getting ready for a quality Belgian ale. What I got was an exploding head that tastes like off yeast and dirt, and the distinct impression that I would have been far better off with a better and far cheaper alternative such as Leffe, Grimbergen, Kwak or Gouden Carolus. A truly unimpressive beer.

3.06/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Received a 12 FL. OZ. bottle of this in a trade w/ amacho1. Poured from the Blue labeled bottle w/ the normal Green Flash scene into my 0.3L La Fin Du Monde Tulip Glass. Has no freshness date on the bottle.

Aroma- Has a big time spice and peppery aroma from the beginning. Light hops and malt follow up but spice and floral characteristics. Not sure I've smelt something like this before...

Appearance- Pours a 3.5 finger, frothy head that keeps for a long amount of time. Has a amber/copper colored body with semi-haziness. Leaves thick lacing behind that coats the entire glass.

Flavor- Light, soft fruits hit the palate with a ton of Belgian hops (whatever that means). I'm going to say its in between an American hop and English hop character level. Has a ton of malty sweetness with some biscuity notes. A light-medium bitterness level finishes it off.

Mouthfeel- Light-Medium bodied, HIGHLY carbonated, Smooth, but then finishes with a musky finish on the palate. Did not find this finish to be enjoyable at all.

Overall Impression- From the beginning of the pour, this was a strange brew! I'm not sure what a "Belgian Pale Ale" should be but this guy was abnormal! The musky finish, non-characterstical hop flavor, and unusual carbonation levels did not make any positive influence on my review of this one. Won't be going back to this one again! Thanks for the try Alex and if you haven't had this one yet, your not missing out...

3.08/5  rDev -21.2%

I love a good Belgian so of course I had try this one... Pours a thick, foamy head that settles after a few minutes. Has a nice look, but the smell has a slightly sour note to it... Taste wise, it gives off an initially promising flavor that is almost immediately followed by a less appealing funky aftertaste... Good carbonation with a crisp mouth-feel though... Unfortunately, I just can't get past the aftertaste. When I think Belgian pale ale, I think Duvel, and this beer just doesn't do it for me. I'd still say that you might want to give it try anyway-- God knows I've tried far worse and I'm sure you have too... Cheers!

3.11/5  rDev -20.5%

Bottled 03JUL12

So, I knew this would be overcarbed, but this was stupid. It took a pitcher to pour this 12oz bottle. Nice clear golden underneath. Retained none of the foam once it died down. Smells nice with raisin, pale belgian yeast character, some hints of grain and metal and a bit of bitterness; some green apple skins and meat come through as it warms. Flavor is fruity, apple, lemon, honeydew and grain, some clay and a touch of strep mutans (maybe that's my mouth though). Medium bodied with now minimal carb and an off dry finish. Meh, would like to try fresh because this didn't do well with the age IMO.

3.21/5  rDev -17.9%

12 oz bottle poured into Dogfish Head tulip pint glass.

A- Two finger head after semi-aggressive pour. Nice creamy head that has good retention. A good amount of lacing as well. Color is typical of the style.

S- Citrusy hops, malt, and a little bit of funk brought on by the brett.

T- Taste follows nose. I dig the funky yeast, but other than that it's a simple pale ale.

M- Smooth creamy mouth feel. I would say the body is medium. Goes down smooth.

O- A good attempt at a Belgian Pale Ale, but it's lacking on overall flavor. Maybe I have met my Lupulin threshold. Enjoyed the one, but won't be seeking it out in the near future.

3.23/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

2012 batch, poured from the bottle into a tall snifter glass.

A - Holy crap! This is one crazy thick head. I poured this so slowly and carefully and I still had to wait for the head to die down a bit before getting the final third of the bottle in there. When I popped the cap I actually saw a head form and race toward the top of the bottle. Gargantuan head has excellent retention with pretty solid lacing. Pours a hazy copper tone with a little sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

S - Savory spices and sea salt. Bready yeast and a pretty heavy mossy aroma. I can also pick up a hint of lemon peel and grassy hops. Super earthy.

T - Very bitter right up front, although most of the initial flavor is heavily subdued by the thick carbonation. Yeast is very apparent and the earthy hops comes through as it rolls towards the back of your tongue. Finish is dry and has a grassy bite at first, but as the beer warmed it sweetened up significantly.

M - Extremely fizzy...a bit too distracting I'd say. Light body, not the most drinkable beer.

O - It's a tough beer to rate. Did I enjoy it? Yes. I really did, but the carbonation was just too overpowering. It left the beer unbalanced and it became the focus with every sip. I really liked the beer a lot more once it warmed up. I'll leave the bottle out a bit before drinking the next one in fact. Overall, it's pretty good, but definitely not amazing.

3.23/5  rDev -17.4%

A - ginormous head on initial pour, nice lacing, good retention, murky straw color, lots of bubbles

S - very funky - Brett, very fruity, pepper

T - Brett, barnyard funky leather, orange, hops, pepper

M - full, well carbonated

O - I despise Brett, that said, the brewer did a good job of integrating it into this brew, the fruit and hops provide a nice balance

That said, I still despise Brett.

3.23/5  rDev -17.4%

Thanks to thetomG for the share. Served in a FFF/Intelligentsia snifter.

A - A big white foam that settles to a thin collar, leaving behind minimal lacework. Hazy peach juice body with a hint of transparency to it.

S - Big earthy and dirty brett, citrus and tropical fruit hops, somewhat musty with a bit of plastic and playdough, some yeasty bread.

T - Pretty similar, with tropical fruit hops, pale malt sweetness, and some musty, medicinal brett. A bit of dirty funk and plastic - don't care for the house brett strain much.

M - Medium-bodied, lower carbonation, chewy and sticky texture, and a slightly dry finish.

D - Reminded me a lot of Green Flash Treasure Chest. It's fairly easy to drink, but the house brett strain produces some flavors I don't enjoy - too medicinal, with more plastic and band-aid than I like.

3.24/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Picked up at the COOP a couple nights ago.. off white head blooms up to an easy 3"... too much!! The brew is fairly clear light orange... the head takes FOREVER to die back.. great lacing.

The nose is definitely bretty... more than I was expecting.. dusty green apple skins.. something that I associate with lemon zest.. or even Lemon Pledge.. lite fusel alcohols... minor peppery notes and a bit more apricot with warmth.

Ridiculously dry... light plastic/vinyl phenols with warmth.. light lemon.. the RIGID drying almost tannic quality of this beer is not gonna be for everybody including me...

Carbonation is almost abrasive.. the body is light magnified by the huge CO2.

I respect this beer and appreciate the brett character, but it is just over the top.

Not my cup of beer.

3.25/3.5/3.25/3/3

3.24/5  rDev -17.1%

very attractive glowing golden color with a sizable almost white head that sticks around for a while and laces among the best.

peppery yeast, a bit of band-aid astringency, a bit funky, a bit hoppy.

again, the damn band-aid adhesive sticks out, but underneath that there is plenty of peppery yeast, bitter hops, crackery malts.

medium bodied with an abundance of prickly carbonation and a lingering acrid flavor.

definitely not for me. flavors just do not mesh well.

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Slow poured from 12oz bottle into a Belgium sniffer.

A- Uh oh. We have a gusher here. Even the most delicate of pours resultes in a 4 finger, massive head. I know the style dictates a high level of carbonation, but this is a bit much. The end result is a half glass of foam and a half glass of a cloudy orange/amber brew with evervesance similar to champagne.

S- A susbdued smell that has probably been masked by the half glass of foam. As it begins to settle I start to pick up a combo of sweet and spicy. Nectar meets pepper. Slight bananas. Fresh fruits and hops. Pale malts and barnyard funk.

T- Well, after waiting about 20 minutes for the head to dissipate, i have decided to jump in. Sweetness dected first with a heavy dose of wild Brett yeast. Band-aid and medicinal flavors appear. Citrus and grassy hops account for a crisp, bitter finish. Quite acidic as well.

M- Here is the biggest issue i have with this. The massive carbonation is difficult to look past. Drinkability suffers due to the evervesance. Dry finish.

O- I wanted to like this beer. I really did. I love Green Flash. I have worked with Brett yeast in my homebrews and understand how unpredictible it can be, but the carb level hurt this brew. It hindered the wonderful aroma from escaping and it caused the drinkability to really suffer. If you let it rest for a good while, then you can experience some nice qualities that remain masked. The characteristics were all there for this to be a great Belgian pale, but it fell short of spectacular.

$8.49 for 4pk

3.27/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Pours golden with a huge head that leaves plenty of lacing.

The smell is of bubblegum and cotton candy. A bit of citrus is underneath.

The taste is of sweet bubblegum and cotton candy. It does have a tart touch in the finish.

It is light to medium bodied. Fairly creamy. A bit of a late fizzy tingle to it as it goes down.

It has stereotypical "Belgian" characteristics with the bubblegum/cotton candy. It is not a Duvel. I thought it would be considered a Strong Belgian Pale because of the alcohol content and noticeable character. It is "okay", but missing a Saaz character to balance it.

3.29/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A - As others have said, ridiculous head on this beer, to the point of being a bit annoying. Golden/orange color. The head on this does not go away.

S - Funky, musty smell. Mostly brett. Honestly, not much gets through all that head. Very muted aroma.

T - The brett definitely comes through in this. Not super sour, but has quite a bit of funk to it. A bit bitter with some fruity aftertaste.

M - Medium bodied and very carbonated. Possibly a bit too much carbonation. The ridiculous amount of head on this beer isn't going anywhere.

I'm kind of disappointed with this one. I'm usually very pleased with Green Flash, but this one just hasn't done much for me. It's certainly got the sour funkiness you'd expect, but there just isn't much else going on here.

3.29/5  rDev -15.9%

Tasted On: 06-21-2012
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 12 oz. brown bottle, pry-cap
Glassware: Dogfish Head Signature glass
Purchased: 4-pack from Midtown, Nashville

A: Crazy pour on this beer due to the massive head formation. I tried 2 different glasses and bottles with the same result -- 5+ fingers of rocky, off-white head. I had to drink from the bottle because of the massive head that didn't want to go away. I think this batch may have gotten over-carbonated. Color is a clear pumpkin orange. Lacing is excellent along with the ridiculous head retention.

S: Big hop aromas of citrus, grapefruit and pine, plus some earthy and grassy notes and maybe a bit of tropical fruit.

T: As in the nose, the main taste component is the hops. Tangy and dry, with flavors of grapefruit and citrus. I think the dryness of this beer tends to make the hops stand out more than you'd expect at 32 IBUs.

M: Lively carbonation on a medium body. Finish is bitter, yeasty and dry, with some acidic character. Seems to soften pleasantly as it warms.

O: This was a bit of a disappointment for me. It seemed too hoppy for the style and the intense carbonation made it a pain to drink.

3.3/5  rDev -15.6%

A - Foamy white head. Excellent retention and lace. Deep orange apricot brown body.

S - Almost wit-like with a bright tart twang. Bitter white wine grapes, sour apple, apricot and pear.

T - Dry, deeply waxy, and tart. White stone fruits, wheat, grapefruit, and apricot.

M - Light body. Par carbonation.

O - Wax dominates the profile and bullies some of the softer, more interesting fruit flavors in the brew.

3.31/5  rDev -15.3%

An homage to Orval? Sign me up. $2.99 single from the Village Pump.

The pour is clear amber with a dense,white head with pretty excellent retention and nice lacing. The nose already has picked up quite a bit of Brett. Unfortunately, the Brett character is quite plasticy and mildly clove-like. Faintly hoppy with some citrus is present as well. The alcohol's a little too high, and there's some toasted caramel and sugar present. As it warms up, a little sulfur becomes apparent.

The palate is quite fruity with some citrus (ripe oranges), sugar and honey. The mid-palate is where the Brett is more expressive. Dry, earthy Brett with plastic and a little clove. Honey and citrus linger on the finish, but the blend of the honey and the Brett isn't particularly impressive right now, making this rather unpleasantly spicy. Medium in body with moderate carbonation, this feels pretty decent on the palate, but still, a little too sweet. Decent, I will revisit this simply because it's so cheap, but I do wish they dialed down the alcohol to 5.5 or something. This definitely ain't no Orval.

3.32/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a light straw yellow, but my oh my as soon as I opened this bottle it started foaming over and poured into the glass is 90% foam. Way over-carbed.

Huh, not getting much other than a musty funk and some weirdness.

Lemongrass, biscuits, and a rather offputting funkiness.

Light-bodied, (extremely) high carbonation, straight foam.

Overall, either a bad bottle or just a really terrible beer.

3.33/5  rDev -14.8%

Chill hazed amber with a tall fluffy white head.

Smells spicy and soapy with a mainly herbal scent and a fair dose of coriander. A little malt sweetness of the honeysuckle type.

Starts out sweet and spicy in the mouth. Low level of bitterness and a grassy hop flavor. This is a basic mild BPA but there is nothing really outstanding in the taste.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall this is mild and pleasing beer but not an outstanding one.

3.33/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

i was excited to try this belgian style pale ale. i poured about an ounce into a glass and it quickly exploded with head. after several minutes i was able to pour a little more into the glass. the head is a thick white color the beer is a gold color with faint cloudiness. the smell reminds me of an indian grocery store. there is citrus with a hodgepodge of other spices swirled around. as far as the taste goes- i have only managed to pour half the bottle in my glass b/c of the thick head.
-the taste is bitter and lemony with a huge wash of spices on the back end. this beer has a very eastern feel- it is very complex. i almost think that here is too much going on. i dont say this much but i feel like it is almost over done.

3.33/5  rDev -14.8%

let's just get Overall out of the way. This is a relatively tasty beer that doesn't seem at all like what I expect from a Belgian Pale Ale. The Brett is overwhelming the rest of the beer already. I am hopeful that new aromas will come forth as it ages (impoves?)

The beer looks great in the glass. gorgeous. Light coppery color, brilliant other than a tiny whisp of yeast that made it into the bottle and slowly spreads throughout the rest of the glass. Effervescent, topped with a large creamy white with hints of yellow head of such tiny bubbles it looks like meringue. A few lines of tiny bubbles feed the stubborn head and it leaves great lace.

OK, so there's one smell here that overwhelms. I have as good a nose as anyone but all I get is phenolic, specifically band-aid. I like phenolics but I want to smell malt - moderately rich caramel/pilsner/toasty malt aromas - and hops with restrained yeast components in a Belgian Pale Ale. I get a slight spicy hop aroma but really it is hard to think of this as anything but medicine cabinet.

I enjoy the flavor more, and quickly settle in to taste what it has to offer. Sort of a lemony spicy flavor that could be noble hops or a yeast component. ample phenolics. Light pilsner malt. Bitterness is moderate, fruitiness is as well. clean, no diacetyl. Seems skillfully done, but I don't really appreciate the yeast/brett profile in this beer to this point. Some alcohol flavor comes out as it warms.

moderately light body, effervescent, very light alcohol warmth, no astringency. Crisp, enjoyable as it goes down.

so, I'd have it again, but not if I were looking for BPA. Hoping for more depth out of the brett as this ages too...

Rayon Vert from Green Flash Brewing Co.