Rayon Vert | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Rayon VertRayon Vert

3.84/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,366 |  Reviews: 428
3.33/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

3.84/5  rDev 0%

3.94/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.01/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.74/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.58/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

3.77/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.04/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

4.21/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle from the last 12oz bottling. Enjoyed 9/6/15

Pours golden with a huge rocky head. Aroma and palate follow each other with earthy, mildly fruity funk. Toasty cracker malt character. No acid.

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I've been pet sitting in a different part of Connecticut for the past two weeks. Fortunately for me, that puts me about two miles from the largest liquor store in the state. I was taking my time browsing through the exotic sours/Belgians/European oddities section today when I came across a few bottles of Rayon Vert. I'd always wanted to give it a shot since I love Orval (especially with age on it), so I bought three bottles. Their dates? 07/24/12. That makes these over three years old. Mmmmm, bring on da funk!

Look: The 10 minutes of slowly pouring this foamy monster into a glass was totally worth it. Atop a brassy opaque beer sits possibly the most lusciously fluffy head the world has ever seen. This looks like the top of a root beer float after mixing the vanilla ice cream in. It's white, wispy and beautiful.

Smell: Ohhhh man! I can smell the funk wafting its way over already. On closer nasal inspection, it throws all those crazy bretty barnyard goodies up my nose. Hay, leather, citrus, it's all here!

Taste: Ripe peach and apricot flavors lead into an earthy/funky brett flavor explosion that's backed by a little citrus, clove, and even some hop bitterness. Not quite as tactful as Orval, and there are some hints of metallic bitterness on the finish, which is oh so delightfully dry. But hey, at three years old, it's still quite the beer.

Feel: Mmmmm, luscious. Nice medium carbonation and full-ish body. Nice tingly finish, but I just can't seem to shake that whole metallic thing.

We need more beers like this. I think the modern interpretation would be to dry hop the shit out of it with some new world hops, maybe Galaxy or Citra? I'll probably drink another one of these within a few weeks, but I think I'm going to cellar that last bottle for a long time.

PS. I love brett burps. So funkayy

3.65/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Pours bright gold – a very slight chill haze that disappears as the beer warms. Has a very rocky 3” finely bubbled white foam collar that grips the side of the glass.
S: Resiny, piney hops backed by citrus and light bread.
T: Blends Belgian yeast flavors ripe and over ripe fruit, a light dose of funk, with a West Coast hop character and pale ale malts for a very balanced blend of flavors. Starts with a light sweetness and finishes dry and refreshing.
F: Very creamy, luscious and soft in the mouth with the kind of texture only Brett can produce.
O: A well designed and well balanced of West Coast meets Belgium.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

3.54/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Fruity aroma has a yeasty overtone and a malty underpinning. Pours a pretty clear amber with a very thick and fluffy eggshell head. Sharp flavor is fruity and a little sour, with malty and yeasty undertones and a hint of woody hops. Smooth, firm texture has a subtle but persistent tingle and leaves a fruity, slightly hoppy finish. Overall, decent.

3.08/5  rDev -19.8%

I love a good Belgian so of course I had try this one... Pours a thick, foamy head that settles after a few minutes. Has a nice look, but the smell has a slightly sour note to it... Taste wise, it gives off an initially promising flavor that is almost immediately followed by a less appealing funky aftertaste... Good carbonation with a crisp mouth-feel though... Unfortunately, I just can't get past the aftertaste. When I think Belgian pale ale, I think Duvel, and this beer just doesn't do it for me. I'd still say that you might want to give it try anyway-- God knows I've tried far worse and I'm sure you have too... Cheers!

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Rayon Vert from Green Flash Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 70.6% out of 100 with 1,366 ratings