Rayon Vert | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Rayon VertRayon Vert

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Added by ocelot2500 on 12-14-2011

Ratings: 1,366 |  Reviews: 428
3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

When I opened the bottle I immediately put my nose to the lip. I get a ton of the yeast. I like this horse-blanket smell.

I poured this beer into a fluted glass. I get a ton of foam on the pour. I recommend letting the beer settle for a minute after opening, or be patient until your first sip. The upside is clumpy foam making for some cloud-like lacing on the side of my glass.

I really enjoy the smell coming off the top of this glass. You get some really good saison like sour quality. I also detect a little bit of spicyness. There wasn't any hoppiness that I could pick up.

The flavor is a little bit of a challenge. I get a decent amount of bitterness. This is one of those beers that smells much better than the taste.

Overall this was a good beer, but it is a challenging drinker.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

3.69/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a hazy, copper color. One inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of sweet malt, tart citrus, hint of hop, hint of pale malt, hint of spice, hint of grass, hint of alcohol. Fresh, strong, and pungent aroma. Fits the style of a Belgian Pale Ale. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of tartness, hint of sweet malt, hint of pale malt, hint of hop, and a hint of of citrus. Overall, good appearance, amazingly great aroma, but the body is greatly lacking in comparison to the strength of the aroma.

4.36/5  rDev +11.5%

Pouring this from a bit above the glass is a slight mistake, leaves three quarters of the glass in frothy white head that doesn't give up its domain very easily. After trying to drink through this frothy head i gave it a rest to let it fall into a pretty nice lacing.

A rich golden honey colored beer that seems impossible to see threw on an almost creamy medium bodied beer.

Crazy, citrus fruits, light caramel malts, light malts, some yeast, floral aspects, light spices, and smells I don't know, as I drank a glass of this I would take a whiff of the aroma and be baffled as it seemed to change slightly but in good way.

The taste almost follows the aroma, with malts, hops, yeasts all making random appearances and keeping me totally focused on trying to discern what exactly is going on. I wish I knew more about the brewing process, really, might help me know what or how to make beers taste like this.

The only draw back is, well as I see it, this beer lacks the traditional light dry aftertaste of beer, with it's hidden or lingering grains or hops or yeasts, or whatever gives most beers it light to not so light dry aftertaste. But, other than that this really impressed me, I hope it's not just an amazing bottle or a crappy beer prior to it, but I hope this beer gives these tastes to everyone who tries it.

And, on that note, give this beer a try.

4.02/5  rDev +2.8%

A - A standard pour yields a mammoth perfectly uniform fluffy light tan colored head comprised of big chunky bubbles... Stellar retention... The color is a dull slightly hazy amber... Loaded with swirling micro bubbled rapid paced carbonation... Loads of lacing clings to the glass...

S - A dynamic mix of Belgian yeast and potent earthy slightly pungent hoppiness... Some light fruit notes lie beneath the surface... There is also a distinctive funkiness... This really is a bit intoxicating, I love this aroma...

T - A mix of funkiness and Belgian yeast to start... An earthy hop presence... Some light fruity notes... White pepper notes... A light spiciness on the finish...

M - On the lighter side of medium bodied... The carbonation has a certain unique potency... A bit on the dry side of the equation throughout...

D - A very nice rather assertive Belgian IPA... A home run in terms of aroma... Solidly above average in all other facets... Definitely an American interpretation of the style... Tasty and something I would gladly drink again...

3.95/5  rDev +1%

Serving type: 12-ounce bottle. No freshness date.

Appearance: Poured into a tulip. The color is rusty caramel. Tons o’ dense, eggshell-colored head developed and dissipated very slowly, leaving the inside of the glass lined with trails of foam.

Smell: My first whiff was a load of funky fresh Brett, which tends to dominate. Underneath are musty farmhouse basement, hoppy citrus (a little grapefruit and orange), pine spice, perhaps a little caramel, and a nice fruit complexity with scents of apple and pear. It also has a hint of raisins.

Taste: The mouthfeel is smooth and dry. The funkiness from the smell is toned down a couple notches but the Brett is still noticeable. The pale ale qualities — the citrus, pine, and caramel — are given room to shine. The Brett and caramel begin to balance as the beer warms and the fruits emerge. Each sip leaves the tongue tingling with a lasting bitterness.

Drinkability: This is a very nice brew. I do not have much experience with Belgian pale ales but I really enjoyed this beer’s hybrid qualities.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

4.17/5  rDev +6.6%

12 ounce bottle poured into a wine glass.

Rayon Vert pours a bright golden-orange tone with a couple fingers of a bright white head. Its` nose comes across with citrus, brett and pine. A very nice smell to be sure. Sipping on this bpa and I taste lemons, belgian yeast, coriander and some light hops. Damn, this beer tastes good. Mouthfeel is medium, it has a rather lively carbonation to it. All in all, a very good beer that is well balanced and easy to drink. I have found it to be tasty fresh and also with a bit of age on it.

3.73/5  rDev -4.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip

A- Pours hazy straw yellow/orange with some particles. A massive white head. Big bubbly lacing. Careful on the pour with this one.

S- I get a big spiciness up front. There is a lot of fruit here. Citrus tones from the hops and a tiny bit a darker fruit. Certainly an intriguing smell on this one.

T- This is a weird one, that's for sure. There is a ton of carbonation up front. The taste, is very fruity, the is some west coast hops in here for sure giving it a citrus and piney taste. The yeast gives this beer a really spicy taste and feel and is very crisp on the finish. The taste is a strange sour hay flavor that im trying to decide just how much I enjoy it.

M- This beer has insane carbonation, at times it was too much. The yeast really gives this beer a full silky feel which is quite nice.

O- This is pretty decent beer, very unique to say the least. I don't know how old my bottle is and if this beer is "constantly evolving" there's no telling here. I would be interested in trying a fresh and aged one side by side just to see the difference. As of now, i am not quite sold on Brett.

4.12/5  rDev +5.4%

12oz bottle into a tulip. 1.5 years old.

dark golden color. great head. very bretty and funky aroma...oooh! taste starts out dry and then the funk of the brett hits you full force. wow! age has done this beer wonders. so much better than when it was fresh. medium carbonation and a mild body. great!

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

A: golden beer with an impossibly huge head, settles down with lace

S: some floral and citrus, fresh and bright

T: tasted like across between an IPA and a Belgian pale ale - some wood and citrus flavors, crisp hops and zesty yeast

M: crisp, clean, refreshing

O: a well-made Belgian-style ale, but unique enough that it presents its own merits; slightly hoppier and less smooth than the Orval to which I have heard it compared

Rayon Vert from Green Flash Brewing Co.