Rayon Vert | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Rayon VertRayon Vert

Added by ocelot2500 on 12-14-2011

Ratings: 1,366 |  Reviews: 428
3.55/5  rDev -7.6%

3.56/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Too much foamy head! It almost never went away. Im trying to drink this, and all I get is foam. NO NO! Other than that, cooper/dark orange, lots of lacing (obviously), hazy.

S- Sour, citrusy hops, & yeasty. Grapefruit forward. It's Belgian funky for sure!

T- Juicy and carbonated, with a grapefruit kind of hop presence. Sour towards the end. Finish is citrusy and somewhat sweet, and ends sour.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Juicy and bitter qualities prevent this from being extremely drinkable, but this beer was not designed to be a thrust quencher or had quickly.

I had Palm Speciale once, and I felt a sweat coming on when i had that. I am a little sweaty after drinking this. I have no clue if that is just these two beers or a side-effect of Belgian Pale Ales in general.

Overall, this was tasty. It didn't wow me, but it was good.

3.56/5  rDev -7.3%

First ever review. Poured from a bottle into a new belgium globe glass.

A - Nice dark golden almost copper in color. Thick cream color head that really seemed to last for a couple of minutes.

S - Sweeter smell with a stronger alcohol smell on the end of it. lots of fruit on it as well.

T - Pretty smooth tasting. A bit of a bite and it seems like the alcohol taste is more in the middle than the end although it it isnt that high of an alcohol content.
y
M - Seems pretty balanced. Has a nice solid taste that doesn't linger to long. Taste good and not to overly hoppier or complex.

O - Decent beer, Would probably drink again. Not overly impressive but good enough to drink if i needed something differnt.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A: straw gold and hazy. A massive three finger head that sticks around for a while. Eventually it breaks down and leaves a thin film with a small foamy iceberg in the center of the glass.

S: sour apples and funkyness.

T: follows the nose...seems a bit like some saisons I have had, but this seems a little off.

M: high carbonation and dry finish.

O: honestly, I am a little befuddled by this beer. It would seem that everyone I know who has had it has had a different reaction. I can't say I didn't enjoy this beer, but I can't say I did either. It continues to be an enigma to me.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.58/5  rDev -6.8%

Appearance: Golden amber in color. Pours 1/2 finger of white head that fades fairly quickly. Moderate lacing.

Smell: pine resin, hoppy, grassy, earthy, a bit funky.

Taste: earthy, caramel, hoppy, slightly medicinal finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, moderate carbonation, crisp on the tongue.

Overall: A decent beer. Not terribly complex. Drinkability is high.

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%

12oz bottle into a Lost Abbey snifter.

A - The hyper carbonation of this beer yielded a very heady pour of a rocky off white head. The beer that rested underneath was a nice, slightly hazy dark orange. As the head receded it left behind some serious lacing.

S - The Aroma is definitely belgian with some nice brett characters, tropical fruits, citrus and a slight sour note and a nice hop presence. Looking forward to this.

T - The taste follows the nose rather closely with a fairly prevalent, earthy brett character and juicy tropical fruits. There is a nice hop bitterness. The finish has a slight band aid flavor to it. Fairly dry finish.

M - As mentioned, the carb levels are really high on this beer, but that also does an amazing job cutting the fairly heavy body.

O - This was a good beer that i am happy to see come on the scene from an american brewer. Its not as good as Damnation and has lots of room for growth, but its a great first atempt. I'll give this a shot after a few months again.

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

its better than average, but its a weird brew. smells like a well hopped belgian yeasty pale ale, which it indeed claims to be, but the flavor is more akin to a wild or sour ale. very pungent yeasty funk going on, totally dominating in fact. good malt balance and hop accents underneath, but i think the balance is off. mouthfeel is way too carbonated here. or maybe just in regards to its medium to heavy body, which seems an improper paradox here. 7% abv is nice and works well, but this one could use a tune up. lots of potential here.

3.61/5  rDev -6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Great Divide tulip. Pours a cloudy medium golden amber with massive overproduction of foam; a careful pour was 80% foam and it took a long time to get enough in the glass for a taste; the massive head dissipated completely to a thin film, ring around the glass and pillowy lacing. Aroma of light bready malt, both Belgian and wild yeast, Belgian spicing and a hint of citrus. Flavor is very light bready malt with a strong dose of Bretty wild yeast and hints of apple and stone fruit juice. Finishes with lingering wild yeast and light hops. Light bodied. I'm not a huge fan of wild yeasts, but enjoy a touch of Brett or wild yeast to a sufficiently complex ale; this one did not support the level of wild yeast to my taste. It is light and overall pleasant, but too single note to hold my interest.

3.61/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

poured 12oz bottle into Duvel tulip

A - Dirty, hazy apricot hue. I poured it so gently and slowly, still took 2 pours as the massive foamy head erupted above the top of my tulip. Head retention is lasting a very long time.

S - Belgian yeast, rotten banana and other fruits (not as bad as you think). Sugar and spice, with a bit of floral hops and wet hay.

T - Belgian yeast and spice up front. Wet hay and some ripe fruit (no banana). A bit of floral hop and sugar round it out. Interesting.

M - Heavy carbonation, light bodied. Finish is slightly dry.

O - I typically like this style, but this one left me scratching my head. It is an odd combination of wet hay, fruit, spice and hop. I'll stick with a more traditional style, but this was good to try.

3.61/5  rDev -6%

A: Crazy volumes of carbonation. Opening the cap let off a hiss like a tractor trailer releasing its air brakes. I barely poured a dash of the beer and the whole glass is filled to the brim with foam. Be careful when opening/pouring. The head is an off-white mountain of clouds. The body is a hazy medium shade of gold. Good lacing on the glass.

S: I get a lot of saison character from the beer. It has a horsey barnyard smell to it...a lot of funk and sour scents.

T: The taste mimics the scent closely, focusing on a musky funk quality. There is a little bit of bread flavor, and a mild hop bitterness...kind of rustic tasting...a bit like rye bread in the aftertaste. Some sour notes in there as well, but it kind-of tinges the tongue and lips then dissipates. Some of the hop character comes through in the aftertaste as well...it is a very complex beer. My rating went from a 3...3.5...to a 4 while I continued to drink the beer.

M: It has a very nice mouthfeel. It's bright and perky, and the bitterness seems to counter-balance that by grounding the overall feel of the beer. It feels medium bodied. Drinkability is moderate, because the beer tends to be a bit abrasive with its sourness and bitterness. It's not something I would have more than a bottle of.

O: Overall I found the beer to be interesting and complex. I would recommend it to die-hard fans of Belgian sours, saisons, farmhouse ales, or just interesting beers in general. The carbonation seemed overdone, which makes it difficult to pour the beer (even for a highly carbonated Belgian beer). I probably won't be buying it again, but I don't regret buying it either.

3.62/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy golden hue which leaves a two finger head and lacing everywhere,the smell is a touch of farmhouse funk,peaches,blackberries,white grapes and grassy herbal hops and i find the Brett really dominates the aroma,the mouthfeel is medium bodied and abit overcarbonated with tastes of peaches,farmhouse funk,bready malts and finished with a bittersweet finish of herbal hops and candy and overall its nice and very drinkable but not really something for special occasions just a solid session beer for me cheers.

3.62/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a SA Perfect Pint glass.

A: A lighter straw color with a huge aggressive white frothy head on a conservative pour. Huge sticky lacing.

S: Barnyard funk, musty, yeasty, some hop citrus.

T: Light fruit is combined with the barnyard brett flavors. Musty, yeasty, some pear and apple, tart floral hops pepper, some slight sweet malt as the finish turns dry and musty again.

M: Carbonation was huge (must be bottle conditioned) as the mouthfeel is dry and prickly.

O: A nice brett beer with a fairly aggressive hop profile. As someone else said, this is almost an Orval clone that is not as good.

A good brett beer, but not a great brett beer. Give me a Matilda any day of the week, it has more balance and complexity. Still, not bad.

3.63/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

So sudsy with such a creamy mouthfeel. Handsome amber color in the Brigand snifter. Thoroughly unmistakable with that slash of Brett funkiness. Rather bitter, though it seems to hit more up front as the yeast and other peculiarities move in. But it's still more like an IPA scale of bitterness. Browned biscuit taste with a fair amount of malt. Here's a good test, if you can describe this edgy stuff. On the sharp side. Nose of fermenting apples with a little cardboard.

Seems a little more bitter than the last time I tasted it. I was a little taken aback, as I thought it was perfectly balanced before. Will be interesting to see if it's evolving in the bottle with all the sediment and bacteria. Four-pack of 12 oz bottles from Barons Marketplace in San Diego

3.64/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle marked 07-03-12. Sampled more than a year later on August 13, 2013.

The pour is pale yellow to golden with a tremendous white and light puffy head. Some haze and busy carbonation.

The aroma is quite nice with an inviting Belgian pale malts, yeast, and Belgian sugar ester with a little clove and nutmeg out back.

The body is in the medium range with a bit of acidity. That could be due to the age of the bottle.

The taste has an upfront toasted biscuit malt character at first which is superseded by a powerful peppery and mildly dry finish.

3.65/5  rDev -4.9%

Crisp and hoppy. A really nice blend of classic belgian sweetness and spiciness with a west coast hop profile. Nothing is overwhelming yet the flavors feel so big. Like a belgian style tripel with a west coast twang. Quite nice. Big yet brisk mouthfeel. Euro hop bitterness, slightly spicy finish. Tasty and drinkable. Little bit of alcohol heat but doesnt take away from the style much.

3.65/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Came gushing out of the bottle despite no agitation. Has a dark golden color with several inches of head. Smell is of fruits, yeast, funk. Taste is funky, spicy, malts, some fruits, different but good. Feels medium-full in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

Refrigerated 22 oz. bottle, poured into tulip glass

A - Deep amber color, even slow pour results in very large head (4 fingers plus) that lasts a while and produces significant lacing

S - Brett predominates (as it should), then some fruitiness and yeastiness

T - Yeasty/malty at first with a hint of spiciness, then the Brett kicks in and it ends pretty sour

M - A bit thin and dry, moderate carbonation.

O - A pretty good effort, like all the Green Flash offerings I've tried. It's a relatively uncomplex flavor, or I would have bumped up to an overall 4 instead of 3.5, but it's a close call.

3.65/5  rDev -4.9%

Served from the bottle into a globed DFH glass

A- Poured a hazy medium amber color with fluffy head that leaves quite a bit of spotty lace

S- Hay funk, banana, clove, lemon, and bready notes. Very well balanced aroma

T- Big funky barnyard hay taste, lemon, bready and chalky yeasty notes. A very unique flavor profile, I can't quite put my finger on some of these flavors, but it is spicy, yeasty, and funky.

M- High prickly carbonation, kind of dry chalky quality

O- A very unique tasting beer. I like it, but not sure how often I would go reach for a beer like this. I heard this is very similar to Orval, which I had recently and did not like. I notice some similarities in aroma and a little in taste, but I actually like this beer and did not care for Orval at all. I don't get the overly bitterness and salty qualities I got with Orval.

3.65/5  rDev -4.9%

A- Pours a clear, golden orange(until the sediment turns the clarity to a haze) with a huge white head. O.K. lacing throughout.

S- Slight clove spice, hops, and an "unknown" "funk" to my senses.

T- Hops. Just a hint of sweet clove spice at the start. Followed by the "unknown" "funk".

M- Clean. Somewhat dry finish. O.K. carbonation.

O- This is my second Green Flash beer. Either my taste buds are uneducated or something is a miss for me with this brewery. Could it be "Brett"? Only asking as I have not had that style. There is an aftertaste here that I am simply not a fan of.

3.65/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev -4.9%

When I opened the bottle I immediately put my nose to the lip. I get a ton of the yeast. I like this horse-blanket smell.

I poured this beer into a fluted glass. I get a ton of foam on the pour. I recommend letting the beer settle for a minute after opening, or be patient until your first sip. The upside is clumpy foam making for some cloud-like lacing on the side of my glass.

I really enjoy the smell coming off the top of this glass. You get some really good saison like sour quality. I also detect a little bit of spicyness. There wasn't any hoppiness that I could pick up.

The flavor is a little bit of a challenge. I get a decent amount of bitterness. This is one of those beers that smells much better than the taste.

Overall this was a good beer, but it is a challenging drinker.

3.66/5  rDev -4.7%

Deep yellow that's approaching gold with tons of bubbles. A soon as you pop the cap you get an above average hiss that translates into billowy, fluffy off white head that takes up half the glass. A constant stream of bubbles from the bottom feeds it's gigantor size.

The nose is a good portion of Belgian yeast, dusty hops and some farmhouse. It's the farm scents that I'll never understand in a beer but someone out there must love it.

Rayon Vert has smooth, balanced flavor that has one foot in the farm and one foot in a brew house. Sweet toasted grains mixed with that Belgian twang, light citrus and subtle ginger like spices. This one puts me out of my comfort zone but in a very good way. I find the flavor unique and interesting.

Mouthfeel is also a light with a fine champagne carbonation, adding to the sizzle and zest of the brew. Unique and tasty well worth trying. I remain not a huge fan of Belgian anything but this one was really good.

Rayon Vert from Green Flash Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.84 out of 5 with 1,366 ratings