Rayon Vert | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Rayon VertRayon Vert

Green Flash Brewing Co.

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Added by ocelot2500 on 12-14-2011

Reviews: 428 | Ratings: 1,366
3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

12oz "Green Flash" embossed bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A- A mostly conservative pour yields a hazy, tangerine orange liquid with a massive, 3+ finger rocky head which sticks around for days. Huge amounts of carbonation geiser up from the bottom of the glass.

S- Wow...something that I've never experienced with a beer. Initially, I get something reminiscent of a creamsicle. However, once the head subsides I get this pungent musty/hay/barnyard/linoleum aroma that seems to make Rayon Vert a style closer to a Geuze than a Belgian Pale Ale.

T- Much like that surprising aroma described earlier, I get a lot of that in the taste. Again, this beer treads much more closely to a Geuze than anything...but without a bottle on date, the flavors I am experiencing might be due to sampling a bottle with some age.

M- Huge carbonation makes this brew finish spicy and a bit tart. The 7.0% ABV is undetectable and the medium body makes this one quite drinkable.

O- Unlike any Belgian Pale Ale I have ever experienced. Unfortunately, this won't be for everyone but for those wishing to expand their palate (or fans of Geuze beers), this is definitely one to seek out.

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.
Slightly hazy orange-yellow color with a frothy, 1" thick white head like whipped egg whites. Great retention with thick lacing. Some sediment floating around, some at the bottom.
Big tropical fruit on the nose, like spicy pineapple and passion fruit, a little mango. There's a subtle dry earth and hay note and some sharp funk, presumably from the brett. A little white pepper. Very nice.
The brett is a lot more prevalent in the taste, leading with funky barnyard notes, followed by white pepper and some subtle dried nectarine, tangy pineapple, and orange rind. Very dry, no real Belgian yeast presence (maybe it's 100% brett?). Finishes with bitter hops and dried hay.
Light bodied and highly carbonated (though it doesn't come off as too carbonated), finishes clean and dry.
An interesting and complex beer, but a little too brett-dominated for me. I was hoping it would be more balanced, and was disappointed that the juicy fruit in the nose wasn't more prominent in the taste. Still good though. If you love brett you'll be more in to it than me.

3.29/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A - As others have said, ridiculous head on this beer, to the point of being a bit annoying. Golden/orange color. The head on this does not go away.

S - Funky, musty smell. Mostly brett. Honestly, not much gets through all that head. Very muted aroma.

T - The brett definitely comes through in this. Not super sour, but has quite a bit of funk to it. A bit bitter with some fruity aftertaste.

M - Medium bodied and very carbonated. Possibly a bit too much carbonation. The ridiculous amount of head on this beer isn't going anywhere.

I'm kind of disappointed with this one. I'm usually very pleased with Green Flash, but this one just hasn't done much for me. It's certainly got the sour funkiness you'd expect, but there just isn't much else going on here.

3.95/5  rDev +1%

12 oz bottle poured into SN tulip/snifter
no bottle date

A: pours a caramel amber color with a thick four finger head, carbonation is streaming off the bottom of the glass. honeycombs of lacing stick around as it dissipates. clarity is nice

S: yeast, brett, funk, lemon, citrus, apple, pear, light fruit, spice, earthy

T: light fruit,lemon, citrus, belgian yeast, spice, brett, rose hips, brett bitterness lingers

M: airy, and pretty dry, it is medium bodied, easily quaffed

O: a nice beer, not the best beer, but a really affordable wild ale, just a bit too overpowering on the brett but nice and drinkable and complex, smell is awesome, taste is a little too repetitive though. Worth a shot if you have never tried it or are looking for widely available/cheap wild ales/sours

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Green Flash now gets imported cold to Australia via Pheonix Beers here in Perth. And gee does it show in this beer. A delightful belgian ale with a heavy kiss of brett on the finish. To me this tastes like a fresh orval in Belgium.

Worth the hefty price tag.

3.97/5  rDev +1.5%

Presentation: Simple label in the Green Flash style with simple yet nice graphics and color scheme that is very eye-catching. Label gives web info, a bit of brewery info, ABV info, states “Continuously everlasting”. No bottled on date. Bottle is embossed with Green Flash logo. Green Flash logo on cap.

Appearance: A slow pour from its 12oz brown bottle into a 13oz tulip glass led to a 3 finger tightly packed white head that turns airy and rocky atop a semi hazy deep golden orange color. Head explodes in the glass so much so that I had to make multiple pours to empty bottle. Amazing retention that was still going strong at 7 min leading to a thick coating and ring with extremely excellent lacing.

Smell/Aroma: Smells of a tart fruity estery aroma with a deep brett belgium yeast aroma. Has a bit of a green apple and spice in the smell as well as being slightly floral. Kinda Funky.

Flavor/Taste: Taste is very spicy and heavy on brett belgium yeast on the front end with a floral hop bitterness that come through midpoint along with a slight tart fruitiness that gives way to a floral brett finish and aftertaste. Funky and intersting.

MouthFeel/Drinkability: Heavily carbonated leading to a mouthfeel that is on the full side of medium bodied. Drinkable but funky!

Overall/Comments: This is a very unique and enjoyable beer that allows that drinker to sample some obscure flavors in a beer. Very interesting and complex. Classified as a Saison/Farmhouse Ale @ 6.8% ABV. Consumed 8/8/2013.

4.45/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12 oz bottle into St Bernardus chalice.

Pours a hazy golden color with a massive, foamy white head. Appears to have decent carbonation. Gobs of lacing.

Aroma is complex. Consists mostly of a farmhouse funk with a noticeable Brett presence. Gives off typical Belgian yeast aromas, including fruit (lemon, etc.) and spices. Can tell there is a lot going on in here.

This beer is great. Crisp, dry, and refreshing. Malt forward in the beginning which evolves to great yeast characteristics. Citrusy, with mostly lemon. A little bit of peppercorn and a generous dose of farmhouse funk gives it a light, dry, tartness.

Medium body and moderate carbonation. Extremely drinkable.

Probably my favorite Green Flash beer. Layers of complexity, extremely drinkable, and super refreshing. This could be a regular in my fridge. Reminds me of Orval.

2.48/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

POUR OVER A SINK OR OUTDOORS! Even with a cautious pour, it turns to a torrent of foam as soon as it hits the glass - impossible to pour without stopping to let it settle or overfill the glass. With a bottle conditioned beer, I chose to let it overflow to keep from disturbing the yeast sediment. Strike 1 for me. One thing I really don't enjoy in the appearance of my beer is seeing it overflowing into the sink. When it all settles, bubbles race up the golden amber liquid to maintain a airy sudsy layer that almost resembles sea foam.

The aroma of peaches and apricots hits first, with hints of green grapes. If you keep inhaling deeply, classic sour brett aromas cut through these light fruity scents. Lemony undertones. Perfumy. Their model for this is Orval, and the aroma is definitely reminiscent of the abbey beer. It is a refreshing aroma that is inviting in the summer heat.

The taste is a let down. Pretty one-dimensional - I mainly just get that brett sourness that is completely overpowering - it has sort of that sour cherry flavor to it that comes with this yeast. No real fruity complexity or malt flavors come through. If you wait long enough, you can almost get a hint of bread crust from the malt, but the sourness clings relentlessly to your tongue. No hop discernible presence, though, but I can't even taste anything through the relentless sourness that is starting to make me cringe with every sip. The more I drink this the more I want to dump it. The smell of perfume can be nice, but I don't enjoy drinking it. The mouthfeel is just foamy and bubbly with puckering sourness that doesn't let up.

The one dimensional sourness and over-carbonation really let you down after getting such a nice refreshing aroma from this beer. I am going to be generous with my overall score because I did enjoy the aroma. I won't be coming back for it though. This makes the press release for this beer look even more absurd. Add on their unjustified price increases, and I am just about done with Green Flash.

For anyone who sees this and is thinking maybe I just don't like the style, I love Orval (just not the price tag).

3.71/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a dark orange with a huge 4-finger white head that sticks all over the rim and reduces slowly, leaving lots of lace.

Reading about this, it sounded like GF was going for something very similar to Orval, and I'd say they certainly Americanized the Orval character, losing the subtleties in this nose with its notes of bread, blood orange pith, pear, honey and earthy herbs.

The medium bodied palate is bright with the slight Brett-tartness and a big carbonation- flavors of bitter orange, apples and earthy herbal tones. The middle brings a sizable bitterness while the booze makes a statement on the finish, lingering with the breadiness and herbal characters.

Overall not bad, but as I've said, it certainly tastes like an Americanized beer, with nowhere near the complexity of the brew I think its trying to mimic. That said, though, this is certainly a candidate for the cellar, and its ageability gives it a few extra points.

3.45/5  rDev -11.8%

I found a 4 pack of this in the back corner of one of my goto bottle shops. I had read that folks looking for a bretty beer should check this out. I love me some brett so I picked it up. I have also read about some over carbination issues with this beer.

A: Beer poured an giant 5 finger head and just a tiny bit of actual beer. Over carbonated indeed. Took 12 minutes to pour an actual glass. But once it was poured it looked perfectly fine to my eye.

S: The smell is everything I want in a bretty IPA. Brett funk. Loving it.

T: I get no brett in the taste, big letdown for me here. I want funk on the nose and in the taste. Not here. Taste is not bad, but no funk.

MF: Smooth, semi dry, pleasant.

O: This beer is not bad. It is just not what I was expecting given other reviews. It is a perfectly fine belgian IPA. But if you want a bretty IPA that smells and tastes funky, look for Anchorage Galaxy White IPA, Mikkeller Farmhouse Invasion IPA, or Grassroots/Mikkeller Wheat is the new hops.

3.78/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Look: A lot of carbonation, too much - tends to happen with brett, Huge, rocky, white head with big bubbles at start. There was so much foam that I couldn't pour the whole bottle at once. And on the second pour the head got even more ridiculously. The head has a very slow retention, mostly stays (thick layer) - well a fucking mountain with a big valley stayed. Had to wait for a while to even start to drink. Leaves behind good amount of random lacing. Color is golden amber with some haze. Looks light, fizzy and quite alive.

Smell: Berry, cherry, forest fruits acidity. Musty, funk. A relatively strong medicinal note with some pine, floral and herbal notes to follow. Light caramel sweetness. Everything makes a sharp, fresh, complex and interesting combo.

Taste: Funk (mostly leathery) steps up a notch and acidity tuned a bit down. Nice light caramel backbone followed with medium pine, grapefruit bitterness which stays for a while. Still some medicinal notes and some metallic ones come with a few sips. Light herbal, floral notes hidden beneath.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, feels less because of relatively high carbonation. Dry.

Overall: Well, yes, it's a Belgian ale. Some mix of bitter, light sour and gueuze. Carbonation flew too high on this one, the funk is fun and dynamic, medicinal part kinda off but overall complex and interesting one.

4.24/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured a 12oz bottle (slowly) into a pint class and it quickly exploded with a ton of foam. Aroma on this is amazing; when I cracked open the bottle, I thought I was in for one of the best brett beers I've found. Sadly no...taste is no where near in the same league as the aroma. Tastes very one-deminsonal, a bit too bitter and has an unusual aftertaste.

Will probably buy again, but mostly for the amazing aroma.

3.51/5  rDev -10.2%

No date.

A: Huge, loose head that hangs around forever.

S: Plasticy, medicinal, tart green apple candy. Quite a prominent nose.

T: Much like the nose, with a definate funk and tartness. Fairly dry on the finish. Light malt presence.

M: Fairly light and surprisingly still given the huge head.

O: A slow sipper for me. A solid beer, but not one I enjoy much or am likely to pick up again. I can see how others would like it, though.

Purchased from K&L, poured into New Belgium tulip.

This is extremely carbonated. Had to pour very slowly and still got a 2-3 finger billowy head. Appearance is golden with just the faintest red. Smells slightly hoppy and bretty. Smells like a bright, hoppy saison.

Taste is interesting. Very fragrant and floral. There's brett all over the place. I think the floral notes help tone it down somewhat. There isn't really a traditional hop taste/presence. Very unique!

Mouthfeel is great due to high carbonation. It's got a really good body but a little sharp on the palate. Goes down well.

Overall, this is certainly an interesting beer. I like it and would buy it again. It'd be interesting to compare this with Orval and other high Brett beers. Cheers!

3.56/5  rDev -9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Too much foamy head! It almost never went away. Im trying to drink this, and all I get is foam. NO NO! Other than that, cooper/dark orange, lots of lacing (obviously), hazy.

S- Sour, citrusy hops, & yeasty. Grapefruit forward. It's Belgian funky for sure!

T- Juicy and carbonated, with a grapefruit kind of hop presence. Sour towards the end. Finish is citrusy and somewhat sweet, and ends sour.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Juicy and bitter qualities prevent this from being extremely drinkable, but this beer was not designed to be a thrust quencher or had quickly.

I had Palm Speciale once, and I felt a sweat coming on when i had that. I am a little sweaty after drinking this. I have no clue if that is just these two beers or a side-effect of Belgian Pale Ales in general.

Overall, this was tasty. It didn't wow me, but it was good.

4.23/5  rDev +8.2%

Thanks to Dee over at Bobby's Liquors for sharing this one with me!
12-oz bottle into small Allagash tulip.

A: Pours a bright amber/orange color with noticeable carbonation rising to the top of an off white head that retains well.

N: A citrus nose is quickly overpowered and dominated by a Belgian yeast esters that brings to mind banana, spices, & lilly.

T/M: This one is dominated by the funkiness of wild yeast with flavors of banana, clove & allspice, as well as a bit of sweet dough. There is a nice blend of these floral qualities with a bitter citric hoppiness that compliments the sweet malt flavors. This ale is very light to medium body that finishes very dryly.

Overall, this is an interesting beer. It really is not my favorite style, but I find the style very intriguing. There is a great deal of complexity in general, and this ale does not disappoint in that regard.

4.18/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I've been pet sitting in a different part of Connecticut for the past two weeks. Fortunately for me, that puts me about two miles from the largest liquor store in the state. I was taking my time browsing through the exotic sours/Belgians/European oddities section today when I came across a few bottles of Rayon Vert. I'd always wanted to give it a shot since I love Orval (especially with age on it), so I bought three bottles. Their dates? 07/24/12. That makes these over three years old. Mmmmm, bring on da funk!

Look: The 10 minutes of slowly pouring this foamy monster into a glass was totally worth it. Atop a brassy opaque beer sits possibly the most lusciously fluffy head the world has ever seen. This looks like the top of a root beer float after mixing the vanilla ice cream in. It's white, wispy and beautiful.

Smell: Ohhhh man! I can smell the funk wafting its way over already. On closer nasal inspection, it throws all those crazy bretty barnyard goodies up my nose. Hay, leather, citrus, it's all here!

Taste: Ripe peach and apricot flavors lead into an earthy/funky brett flavor explosion that's backed by a little citrus, clove, and even some hop bitterness. Not quite as tactful as Orval, and there are some hints of metallic bitterness on the finish, which is oh so delightfully dry. But hey, at three years old, it's still quite the beer.

Feel: Mmmmm, luscious. Nice medium carbonation and full-ish body. Nice tingly finish, but I just can't seem to shake that whole metallic thing.

We need more beers like this. I think the modern interpretation would be to dry hop the shit out of it with some new world hops, maybe Galaxy or Citra? I'll probably drink another one of these within a few weeks, but I think I'm going to cellar that last bottle for a long time.

PS. I love brett burps. So funkayy

3.92/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Stone Cali-belgique tulip.

A - pours a slightly hazy light orange with 4.5 finger off white, rocky head.

S - smells delic! Some brett, sourness, juicy/citrus hops, alcohol

T - a little of a letdown from the aroma. Lots of brett character with a subdued hop flavor. Not balances at all. Some grainyness tasted with some alcohol present. Good old band aid on the back end. Finished fairly dry but has a slight off aftertaste i cant place.

M - slick, deceivingly thicker than expected, the carb hides this a tad

D - somewhat low. The unbalanced brett makes it a little hard for me to have more than two

Overall, not bad, but room for improvement. It has bonus points for the aroma.

4.48/5  rDev +14.6%

This brew was poured into a pilsner flute glass which was a poor choice due to the explosion of effervescence. It took three separate pours to empty the bottle. Even when sippinng the foam it spilled over. The color is a rich deep golden. After a few minutes the head falls to tasty looking peaks with huge rings of lace stuck all the way up the top of the flute glass.

The smell is a super funky phenolic belgian yeasty aroma of top quality with a somewhat sour apple and lemon character.

The taste follows with phenolic yeast funk and subtle malt with a sour tang that is appropriate to the style. Reminds me of Half Acre Ambrosia with the Hibiscus and Orange flavors but with extreme Brettanomyces yeast flavors.

Mouthfeel is not as fizzy as the initial pour would indicate. I like the moderate carbonation, light to medium body and crisp finish.

Overall this is a great surprise from a producer of fine west coast hop nectar beverages. My wife enjoyed this one too. Very refreshing as the 12 ounces disappeared fast. I would recommend Rayon Vert to anyone who appreciates funky belgian beer. Kudos to Green Flash!

3.08/5  rDev -21.2%

I love a good Belgian so of course I had try this one... Pours a thick, foamy head that settles after a few minutes. Has a nice look, but the smell has a slightly sour note to it... Taste wise, it gives off an initially promising flavor that is almost immediately followed by a less appealing funky aftertaste... Good carbonation with a crisp mouth-feel though... Unfortunately, I just can't get past the aftertaste. When I think Belgian pale ale, I think Duvel, and this beer just doesn't do it for me. I'd still say that you might want to give it try anyway-- God knows I've tried far worse and I'm sure you have too... Cheers!

3.96/5  rDev +1.3%

A: Poured a monster 2 and a half finger head. I'll be a big more subdued on the pour next time. Carbonation appears robust. This beer looks alive. Color is a caramel fig brown. Lacing and glass retention are standout.

S: Fruity and funky!! Pear, apple, and funk. It is very sweet and grassy.

T: Yeast, pepper, barnyard funk, apple, pear, spices. Interwoven through the fruitiness is a floral green stem flavor. The ABV is almost completely masked.

M: Tingly, full, sticky. This beer is moving and shaking across your tongue. Finishes clean, tart, and ever so slightly wet.

O: For me, this beer is controversial. It's complexity confuses. Others have mentioned this beer is a homage to the mighty Orval. There certainly are parallels, however it does not have the complexity of Orval. For this style, this beer truly delivers.

4.17/5  rDev +6.6%

Rayon Vert pours a lightly hazed copper. Things are topped off by a healthy two fingers of bone white head. Head has some staying power. Eventually settles to a ring. Plenty of sticky lace is left in its wake.

The aroma packs an interesting punch. Its a not to typical Belgian nose, but that is to its advantage. Very herbal upfront. Mint and floral notes stand out strong. Some mild lemon notes hit next. A light brett quality shows up. Brett becomes stronger as the beer warms, taking on a faintly barnyard aroma. Some faintly medicinal spice notes rounds things out.

There is some definite funk on the palate. Earthy, faintly barnyard-y brett hits upfront.. The lemon in the nose is stronger on the palate, lending a bit of a tartness. A healthy herbal bitterness takes hold mid palate. Herbal mint notes mix with tart lemons. The finish is lightly tart with a lingering floral quality.

Rayon Vert is light bodied with an effervescent carbonation.

Green Flash have said they spent four years developing this brew. Their efforts have paid off. This a great Belgian style ale. Light and refreshing with a good bit of heft. Their love of hops shines with out overpowering things. The brett adds just enough funk with out over powering. Reminds me of Orval in a way. It will be interesting to see how the brett changes and evolves this beer overtime. As is, Rayon Vert is one heck of tasty quaff. Props to Green Flash for doing Belgian beer right.

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a golden almost-orange with a monstrous white head. I like it already. Head settles, plenty of lacing left on the glass between sips.

Smells like... Orval. Which is just fine by me. Promising. Musty notes of medicine and spice. "Old man soap", according to my girlfriend, which seems fair enough. Band-aid, bread, grapefruit, rock candy, overripe banana. A great big mouthful of all sorts of stuff - lovely pale malts, big brett character, pepper, grassy and citric hops. A good but not amazing balance - the yeast dominates and the hops are not quite allowed to shine through. Still, pretty damn impressive beer.

Highly carbed & fluffy. Refreshing. A better Orval knock-off than say, Russian River Damnation. Something I will return to.

4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

Aged three months in chiller.

A- Dull orange with sizable almond-coloured head and some lacing.

S- Sweet, floral, and fruity hops (pineapple and passionfruit) ... even cidery (apple) aroma.

T- Bretty, but subdued. Dry in swallow with cidery finish. Hoppy throughout with tropical fruits.

M- Medium body, notable carbonation, smooth with nice afterfeel (hop-oil coating?).

O- Very tasty beer. Would certainly by in a four pack again.

4.09/5  rDev +4.6%

Suds out the door after the pour on this one...astonishing! Pours a dark yellow orange, cloudy and great and big, too-long-lasting head. Smells terrific! Distinct notes of fruit and citrus and light flowers and bread and biscuits...very distinctive and very inviting. Tastes lightly sourish, slightly brett funky, and citrus bitter rind and grassiness near the end. Moderate sustain on the hops. Mouthfeel is fine and so is the carbonation, the foaminess only mildly irritating. Brett funk is here, but well balanced throughout. I think a good ale, the best part is the nose.

Rayon Vert from Green Flash Brewing Co.