Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Green Flash Saison Diego | Green Flash Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by Zorro on 03-26-2012

Reviews: 131 | Ratings: 654
3.67/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Body is yellow with a big Belgian head.

Hops and spices, fruity.

Lemon hits first and stays throughout. I'm not getting any soapiness, nor the orange that it's advertised for. A little peppery, ginger sticks out, or clove; I can't think of the difference right now. Delightfully complex, a definite for summer.

Not so bitter but plenty bright. Crisp. I like saisons that stain, though.

3.65/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours straw yellow with a touch of haze, clean bright white three finger head. Farmhouse yeast greets the nose accompanied by a bit of spice and citrus. Opens slightly fruity, added spice joins in with yeasty esters. Finishes on the drier side. Slick mouthfeel with a very faint touch of creaminess. An enjoyable brew and a solid saison.

3.82/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

For starters I have never been a big fan of Saison/Farmhouse Ales. I find the spices to over balance the rest of the ale.
I love Green Flash, so gave this one a try. It poured the light color like most of the Saison's I've had, same head and very similar nose. I was expecting a huge amount of spice when I first tasted it.
I was very surprised. Sure there was some spice there, a good amount, but the body of this beer was full and to me, balanced the spice. SO, together with the bigger body , the spices were pleasant and easy drinking.

I have to say, I did enjoy this one, my first Saison that I really enjoyed!

3.56/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into belgian tulip. Pours with big white head and smells of sweet citrus fruit and peel. Tastes fairly thin and doesn't have much of a flavor profile. Even the citrus doesn't really show through. Kind of bummed with this one because I love the green flash barleywine. Might have to pick up another bottle and try it again

2.86/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Looks appetizing in the typical saison way: a bright golden color with a nice frothy head. But after that there's not a lot going on. The scent and the taste show hints of orange and ginger, but it's pretty subdued. What's more, the taste was slightly metallic. Might hit the spot after a day in the hot sun, but otherwise a fairly run-of-the-mill beer. My first disappointing beer from Green Flash.

Update: as I make my way through the four-pack my estimation of the beer goes down. More metal with each beer.

3.09/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottled on 3/04/13
Poured into a standard tulip glass

Appearance: (3.25)
Pours a bright and pale, milky yellow with a pure white, 2 and half fingers tall pure white head. The head has decent retention and leaves a little bit of lacing down the sides of the glass.

Aroma: (3)
Spicy, clove forward Belgian yeast streams off the glass with some accompanying notes of ginger, grain-y herbs and banana. Underneath the spice, there is a moderate orange-y hop character. There is a sweet, bready malt tone that punches through the waves of spice. The sweet smelling malts embellish the banana notes in the yeast esters a bit too much, in my opinion.

Taste: (3)
Spicy, banana ester laden yeast, ginger and generic herbal impressions strike your palate first with a grassy, citrus-y hop character soon to follow. Middle of the mouth, before the dry, slightly bitter finish, your palate is kissed by cracker like malt. In the finish there are long, lingering notes of sweet Belgian yeast; more banana, clove and some herbal tones.

Mouthfeel: (3.25)
Light bodied with high carbonation

Overall: (3.25)
A very herbal and sweet Saison; definitely not my favorite interpretation of the style. The yeast is definitely a bit too cloying for my taste. I prefer my Saisons very dry, complex and a little funky with Brettanomyces. This Saison certainly is not that. I'm not sure what Green Flash was thinking when they thought a sweet Saison would be a good summer seasonal.

4.11/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a bomber into 2 pint glasses. Split while eating some homemade black bean chili.

A: 2.5 finger hear, crystal clear with tons of activity and carbonation.

S: Citrus with a bunch of funk. One of the best smelling Saison's to date. The orange peel comes in first with the funky barnyard second.

T: Clean, crisp and refreshing. Really light with some yeast and ginger flavor. Great pairing for black bean chili IMO.

M: Light with some carbonation activity. Not as dry of a finish of most saison's I've had recently.

O: Like everything Green Flash does, was excellent. I used to be a big fan of Saison's but lately its been fading. This reminded me of everything I used to enjoy about a saison. Light, refreshing with a great crisp taste. Perfect with a hearty meal to wind down the day.

3.24/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from a bomber into a Teku glass. Clear gold in color with a substantial bubbly head. Has a fairly strong aroma of banana, cloves and a bit of barnyard funk. These are all present in the taste, but everything's fairly muddled, almost like it has been cut with water. Medium light mouth with a lot of carbonation, leaving it dry and crisp. This is the first Green Flash brew that has left me disappointed. I much prefer their Rayon Vert.

Poured from a 22oz bottle into an Orval chalice.

A: Poured a beautiful clear golden color. White head has good retention.

S: Belgian yeast aromas

T: Wonderful breadyness to the flavor along with belgian yeast flavors. Easy drinking.

M: Good carbonation, fits the style.

D: Overall, solid beer, I don't taste the spices (but this is probaly a good thing)

3.97/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours golden color with white head in TEKU glass.

Smell is belgian yeast, funk, lemon, coriander.

Taste follows smell. Lemon, spice with a light bitter finish.

Feel is light and refreshing. Nice effervecent carbonation.

Overall this is a nice saison. Worth a try.

3.98/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: pours a dark orangish yellow, little head, cloudy
S: funk, spice, fruits tropical, love the barnhouse funk
T: light, little sweetness, spice possibly light pepper, funky, orange, flavor fades really fast
M: highly carbonated, fine bubbles
O: not bad saison, wish the flavor didn't fade off the tongue so fast, very refreshing though

3.92/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - Massive 4 finger head with lacing, white soap suds, shining clear gold.

S - a little banana, white pepper, not strong smells

T - pretty dry, complex but no flavors are really intense, earthy/barnyard yeast

M - nice carbonation

O - fantastic for the style.

3.23/5  rDev -11.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

The color is a cloudy pale straw, almost like a lemonade, and it has a two finger head that dissipates quickly. The nose is big on yeast spices and also has straw, biscuit malts, wine-like smells, and a mildly sweet fruit smell like a banana. At the front of the tongue I get a bit of lemon, clove, and coriander that immediately fades, leaving a big bready assault on the palate. There's also an herbal earthiness to the beer. The body is light and watery, with a prickly mouthfeel from excessive carbonation. It's highly drinkable but not very flavorful, nor memorable.

3.74/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottled on 3/04/13 12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A: Lemon yellow translucent body with a frothy white head. Tons of lacing and lots of retention.

S: I have a cold so I cant smell much, but I can pick up earth scents as well as yeast.

T: Lemon and ginger are present.

M: Very crisp carbonation. Tart mouthfeel on the back end. Some lingering bitterness. Very refreshing.

O: I havent had any from this style before, however I could see this beer being a go to summer brew. If I see it closer to its bottled date I will be sure to pick it up.

3.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Straw colored, with a nice swirl of bubbles from the bottom forming a one-finger off-white head, which lingers and leaves scattered lacing.

Smell: Tartness, some mild citrus hops, along with a slight funk. Not terribly complex, and not at all big, but overall it’s pretty appealing.

Taste: More of the same in the mouth. What is there is tasty and nicely balanced – the lemony citrus keeps it bright, and there is a grassiness that joins the very mild funk – but there’s just not a lot there. There are hints, for example, of traditional Belgian yeast spices, but they’re almost nonexistent.

Mouthfeel: Very, very light. The carbonation feels punched up, and although it keeps it very light in the mouth I’m not sure if it actually helps this brew. Letting it settle down a bit might actually help.

Drinkability: I should say that I fully support creating lower ABV versions of great styles, particularly great quaffable styles like saisons. This one doesn’t quite do it for me for the reasons outlined above, but I recognize the challenge facing brewers and have confidence that a happy medium can be realized.

3.97/5  rDev +8.5%

A nice Farmhouse ale. Pours with a nice head, it's slightly hazy golden yellow.
Smells nice with the typical bit of sourness. Good mouth feel, and an overall very decent brew.

3.69/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle into tulip (bottled in march 2013)

Appearance- Pale straw, pretty big white head

Aroma- Lemon, the saison notes are there but mild, slight breadyness, picking up some spices but not real strong

Taste- Saison funk comes up a bit more here still very mild though, citrus, light crisp, spices are evident and may even be covering the yeast

Mouthfeel- medium-low, not watery though, good carbination

Overall- I tried to put the price I paid for this out of mind when I wrote this. I didn't see an abv and expected it to be in the normal saison range. As a session saison it is great, would be an awesome summer beer. But considering what I paid, I was looking for more complexity. Still very nice beer though.

3.47/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - pale yellow, murky, big frothy head at pour, falls quickly and then disappears completely

S - lemon, ginger, fruity

T - tart, lemons, grapes, ginger, pepper - a nice mix of flavors, yeasty spice dominates

M - the tartness makes it refreshing

O - easy drinking nice beer but nothing special

3.74/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The color is a light yellow in the glass. The head is white with lots of carbonation visible. The overall smell is of citrus with a hint of spice. There is a lack of lacing on the glass. On first taste, you have citrus, bread and a hint of spice. The taste is dry and crisp. The overall mouth feel is very soft and smooth to the mouth. This is a beer that would be good for after a hot day of work. It pairs well with light food, fruit, cheese and bread.

3.36/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured form the bottle into my large Chimay goblet.

A- translucent straw color. White head quickly dissipated

S- Love the smell of this. Belgian yeast, pepper (grains of paradise?), fruit (hint of banana and some tropical/citrus)

T- Kind of a let down from the smell, but it's just a bit too acidic for me. Lots of citrus, especially lemon.

MF- Very thin. Acidity tingles the tongue and the back of the throat.

Overall, not my favorite saison, but not a bad beer at all. I have acid reflux and generally don't care for citrusy beers, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

PS, pairs nicely with basil citrus turkey jerky.

3.58/5  rDev -2.2%

Appearance - This is what a Saison should look like, golden and unfiltered. Poured into my Duvel glass a four finger billowy head which quickly dissipated.
Smell - I get a soewhat sweet smell. I do not pick up a funky yeast smell typical with Saisons.

Taste - Not sassertive enough taste for me. The first Saison I ever tasted was Ommegang's Hennepin which for me is still the benchmark Saison.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium.
Overall - I can't recommed this one, I kept wishing for a more assertive taste.

3.44/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Overall I thought that this had great texture goes down really smooth. The one thing i didn't like was the smell. Even though i like stouts and a bit more hopper beers. It would be a great beer to relax to on a nice summer or spring night. For being a Farmhouse Ale i thought it was a bit on the weaker end of the scale.

4.23/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured from a bomber into a 24 oz bulge glass

A- light straw with white head and low retention. No lacing.

S- light tartness followed with orchard fruits. Light graininess in the background.

T- nearly identical as the smell

M- medium high carbonation. Light body. Very refreshing.

O- a very good sessionable saison.

3.57/5  rDev -2.5%

Bomber.
-A hazy pale amber.
-Not much in terms of head.
-Aroma has crisp citrus corners with a heavy funky barnyard yeast body that displays some hints of muted banana.
-Taste starts with a slight sour pucker, then the carbonation pretty much takes over with notes of spice hitting the tongue during. The finish is tinged with some bitterness with some tart and a dry finish. Aftertaste has some malt and a yeasty funk.
-Overall mouthfeel is crisp and on the lighter side. Kind of wished the carbonation was brought down a little bit.

Had a few saisons before (haven't reviewed them, yet), this one isn't exactly as funky as the others, but a good one to cut through some meals with.

3.3/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

S- smells of Bavarian hops, citrus, lemon, orange and maybe some coriander

A- pours a hef colored unfiltered golden color. Super carbonated with a 2 finger foamy white head that disappears in minutes. It turns into a non-carbonated apple juice like drink in the matter of minutes/ pseudo cider if u will.

T- tastes reminiscent of a Bavarian hef with a light bodied finish. Orange is definitely there. Bavarian hops, some lime, ginger, with some mango notes.

O- I'm not the biggest fan of this beer. The carbonation and body is just not for me which I imagine is appropriate for the style. It reminds me a a mediocre hef, with good flavor but flat finish. A decent summer light beer for around the pool.

Green Flash Saison Diego from Green Flash Brewing Co.