Green Flash / St. Feuillien Friendship Brew | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash / St. Feuillien Friendship BrewGreen Flash / St. Feuillien Friendship Brew

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Availability: Fall

Added by notchucknorris on 08-29-2012

3.24/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Sure, they call themselves friends, but do they go bowling together? Anyway, this stuff pours a midnight russet-garnet topped by a finger of khaki foam. The nose comprises pumpernickel, light perfume, black pepper, clove, light ginger, brown sugar, cardamom, light candied orange peel, light toast, and a bit of licorice. Man, there's all sorts o' things goin' on here, I almost don't know what to do with it all. The taste generally brings in more of the same, though the toast is stronger and there pervades a strange bitterness and spiciness throughout, one that puts me off more than it intrigues me. The body is a light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a dry-ish finish. Overall, this is an odd duck, indeed. It's aroma is more than complex and intriguing, but the corresponding flavors just don't meld well together at all, leaving me wondering why they lied to me in the first place. Not the basis of a strong and prosperous friendship, if you ask me...

3.21/5  rDev -6.1%

this is a miss to me. it pours really dark brown color, a little sludgy, with a tall and lasting tan head. the nose is odd, cocoa powder and cinnamon, which i dont think really go together well at all, and then a whole lot of dark roasty malts, almost smokey. all this under a real funky saison yeast. it doesnt work. the flavor is about the same, with the cinnamon taking on the main role. i love the yeast, its really different and potent, and i would love to taste it in a normal saison. all the additives in this make it taste pretty lousy really. not a drain pour, because it is still interesting, but not something i will ever buy again. too many things competing for my palates attention at the same time. mouthfeel is fine though, full bodied and well carbonated, but its not enough to save this beer. possibly me least favorite green flash beer to date, but i do appreciate the creativity, it just didnt work out this time.

3.2/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours black with a large tan head.
Nose shows slight roast along with an unmistakable tang and some spice that I can't pick. Interesting.
Same story with the flavours: wierd spices and some roasty malt along with the same tang again.
Carbonation is spot on at least.

3.19/5  rDev -6.7%

Pours an opaque black color with a solid half inch mocha head that lingers.

Sweet tarts, hay, and barnyard funk lead the aroma, with floral and perfumey/medicinal notes adding complexity. There's a subtle sweet roast malt character underneath.

Flavor is very phenolic, with medicinal and rubbery notes overtaking the flavor, carrying into a bitter, very dry finish. Tastes like robitussin with enough barnyard flavor to almost make it drinkable...almost. There's a little sourness, a bit fruity, if you can get past the phenols. Spicy notes surface as it warms, with chamomile, cardamom, and clove providing respite. The roast, burnt character of the malt comes out more, as well, and the medicinal tones subside somewhat.

Body is on the light side, with high carbonation and a bit of roast astringency.

Overall, as with the rayon vert, the medicinal and plastic phenols detract from the experience. The spice phenols are not strong enough to dominate. I'm apparently sensitive to 'bad' phenols, though, so some people may enjoy this more than I. It improves as it warms...so much so that I'd recommend ordering one and leaving it sit 20 minutes or so.

3.18/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

3.08/5  rDev -9.9%

Weird nose on this. Can't quite pinpoint it, but it's a wad of spices not very defined. Flavor is kind of the same, though seems like a ton of pepper just heaped on there. It's too much. As far as saison tones, it's hard to get any off here since its so clogged with spices. This beer is not that good. Or at least, not as good as it should be.

3.07/5  rDev -10.2%

I contemplated the merits of Friendship with a tulip.

Appearance- The pour results in two-inches of foam colored like milk chocolate. It recedes so slowly and leaves behind a wall of sticky lace. The body is not quite black, but oh so close. The beer looks formidable so far.

Smell- Is this what mint extract mixed with black pepper would smell like? Oh, and some roasted malt hiding under that interesting bouquet. I do not necessarily think these are two scents that should be mixed. And I definitely do not detect your run of the mill saison flavors either.

Taste- There is more acidity than I would have expected from what the nose offered. It is not a nice surprise either. That weird herbal smell transfers a little to the palate, but there is less mint and more haymow. I also get some peppercorn and roastiness in the finish. I just don't get this amalgamation of flavors.

Mouth feel- Friendship is silky smooth and a solid medium body.

Overall- Maybe someone out there will like this minty, peppery, roasty concoction. I just am not that someone.

3.06/5  rDev -10.5%

Split a 22 oz bottle poured into a duvel glass

A: pours black with a finger of mocha colored head after a gentle pour, the head shows some decent retention and settles into a film, leavs some good spots of lacing... Looks good.

S: smell is dominated with herbs and spices, I get mint, oregano, basil, sage, rosemary, some other floraly notes, and way in the background I start to pick up some slightly chocolaty dark Malts, seeing as I am not a huge fan of herbs and spiced beers I did not find this aroma very appealing. I also do not get a whole lot of Belgian yeast aroma, perhaps a touch of Clove, but overall I feel the spices overwhelmed the aroma.

T: unfortunately for me, the taste is much like the aroma, although the hops deffinatly make there presence know here, I get a nice west coast American hops right off the bat blended into the spices.... But again I feel as though the spice dominates the taste of this beer... I wish the Malts were more forward and the spices were toned way back. I do not get a whole lite of Belgian yeast flavors from this beer, as I feel they ate drowned out by the herbal/floral/spice notes.

M: medium body with medium carbonation.... Finish is dry and leavs a herby/floral aftertaste that I am not to find of in my mouth.

O: I did not enjoy this beer, too many things that I personally do not enjoy jammed into one bottle, I feel I would have liked this more if the malts were much more forward and the spices were seriously toned back.... Not my cup of tea.

3.03/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a globe glass. This rendition of the Friendship Brew pours pretty much jet black and with a fairly steady cap of mocha foam. A bit nontraditional yet I'm still interested to a degree.

Aroma is a blend of subtle Belgian yeast esters, some more prominent spices and a backdrop of chocolate malt notes. Coriander and chocolate are quite forward here and limit the yeast influence once the cap settles.

Flavor is a bit harsh and bitter, with the spice, dark malts and bitter hops combining to render a dry and brief finish. Feel is dry and unexciting, though more from the dark malts than a lack of sweetness per se. Surely lacks the complexities normally associated with the style.

Overall an interesting beer though not standing very tall in the Saison world. Just as a Black IPA fights back the hop aroma normally found, this Black Saison does the same with respect to the yeast. The result is perhaps interesting yet odd, and limits drinkability to a large degree.

Green Flash / St. Feuillien Friendship Brew from Green Flash Brewing Co.