Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Green Flash / St. Feuillien Friendship Brew | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash / St. Feuillien Friendship BrewGreen Flash / St. Feuillien Friendship Brew
3.24/5
Okay

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Availability: Fall

Added by notchucknorris on 08-29-2012

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Chilled 22 oz. bomber into a 12-oz tulip. Bottled 7.31.12.

Look- Deep ruby brown, started with a glass full of foam, needed four pours to get it into the two tulips. Head is loose, pearlescent off-white, falls quickly. Sparse lacing.

Smell- Funky, lighter than expected. Spicy, minty, floral. No trace of darker malts. Dominated by the yeast.

Taste- Similar to the nose, light citrus, mint, funky, touches of roast and black malt here and there, but pretty vague- more like cola than anything. There are a number of things going on here but they don't add up to anything good- spices come across as medicinal. Finishes ashy and metallic, borderline unpleasant.

Mouthfeel- Prickly, dry-ish, medium heft. Coating, lingering listerine feel. 5.7%? I would have guessed at least 8% with how harsh it is.

Overall- It's got a feel that I generally associate with an infected homebrew- slick, overcarbonated, harsh, metallic finish. Vaguely reminiscent of a few of Jester King's wild yeast-spiked offerings, but theirs are actually good, whereas this one was pretty difficult to choke down. Feels sort of half-done, like they were shooting for something and fell short. I wouldn't buy it again and would probably pass if it was offered for free. A pity, as I generally like Green Flash.

I'm going to knock another half-point off of my overall score because the brewers chose to A) bottle the stuff and B) charge so much for it.

2.75/5  rDev -15.1%

4.17/5  rDev +28.7%

Appearance: Poured into a tulip is a beer that is quite dark. On top is a dark beige head two fingers thick.

Aroma: Musty, black licorice, lots of spice, band aid, yeasty, light coriander and some faint cinamon.

Taste: Tons of spice in the front and lots of dryness on the palate. Black licorice, yeasty, coriander, light tones of cinamon, band aid.

Notes: A great Saison nice and dry. Cheers.

3.76/5  rDev +16%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a stemmed tulip: Deep, dark body on the border between black & purple, thick mocha head, sticks around nicely.

Interesting, heavily herbed nose. Can't quite put my finger on exactly what herb this evokes, but it really reminds me Saison du BUFF, I think sage is the dominant note. Throws in a little mint, anise, lime, but yeah, that "other" herbal note is way stronger than any of those. Some fig & floral smells, too. Tough getting at the actual beer through all this, but a pretty unique smell among beers. Ooh, I think I got it - cardamom!

Again, strong herbal & dried flower taste at first, right on the border where fruity turns to flowery. Moves into a mildly roasty, sweet character, which makes for a curious interplay with the floral aspect. Like many ''black'' hybrids, ends with that roasty flavor, but the cardamom lingers.

Both silky & heavy on the tongue at the same time - very smooth & kind of slides right along, but leaves a lot in its wake. Medium-bodied, & that roasty character leaves a slightly ashy feeling.

It took me til halfway through the beer before I realized what it reminded me of: Epic Ales' OTTO-Optimizer, an ale with cardamom & roasted barley. I think this is more balanced than that, but it was fun reliving that crazy rollercoaster of herbs & roast. A unique beer, enjoyed it enough but can't say I'd revisit it a bunch.

3.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

P: Black slightly transparent body with mahogany tint. A massive mountain if rocky brown ice cream float head. Great retention that settles to a creamy crown. 3 rings of lacing cling to the sides.

S: Roasted malt, cocoa nibs, dark fruits, cumin, cardamom, black pepper, clove and faint licorice. Earthy farmhouse yeast and roasted grains. Aroma is similar to the spring time gain laundry detergent.

T/M: Lots of char in the taste with a bouquet of floral hops, dark cocoa, chalky yeast and a bite of cayenne pepper midway through the swish. Sweetness from burnt molasses, brown sugar and dark fruits. Medium-full body boasting zesty carbonation. Finish is semi dry with lingering spice, wild onions and leaves a dirty grainy feel behind.

O: Super complex nose with a great a roasted earthy spiced profile that delivers sugary sweetness to bring balance. The aroma is the main attraction. Im not a huge fan of dark saisons but this one is pretty decent.

3.07/5  rDev -5.2%

I contemplated the merits of Friendship with a tulip.

Appearance- The pour results in two-inches of foam colored like milk chocolate. It recedes so slowly and leaves behind a wall of sticky lace. The body is not quite black, but oh so close. The beer looks formidable so far.

Smell- Is this what mint extract mixed with black pepper would smell like? Oh, and some roasted malt hiding under that interesting bouquet. I do not necessarily think these are two scents that should be mixed. And I definitely do not detect your run of the mill saison flavors either.

Taste- There is more acidity than I would have expected from what the nose offered. It is not a nice surprise either. That weird herbal smell transfers a little to the palate, but there is less mint and more haymow. I also get some peppercorn and roastiness in the finish. I just don't get this amalgamation of flavors.

Mouth feel- Friendship is silky smooth and a solid medium body.

Overall- Maybe someone out there will like this minty, peppery, roasty concoction. I just am not that someone.

3.65/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured into a pint glass. Pours dark cola brown out of the bottle and turns black in the glass. There is a thick, light tan head that dissipates very slowly. There is plenty of lacing left behind on the glass as the head dissipates. The aroma of Brett hits the nose up front. There's citrus, roasted malt, and some other spices as well. It definitely conjures up memories of Rayon Vert. Dark roasted malt and those spices hit up front along with that farmhouse yeast. More of the citrus comes out as I sip it. The hops don't really show up very much here. The roasted malts add some of that bitterness you would expect. The flavors are unique. The body is light with moderate carbonation. The finish is dry. This is a decent beer that's worth trying.

1.25/5  rDev -61.4%

2.25/5  rDev -30.6%

3.25/5  rDev +0.3%

2.25/5  rDev -30.6%

4.03/5  rDev +24.4%

A- pours a deep black with a velvity two fingers of dark tan head. Great retention with good lacing.

S- beautiful blend of roasted malt, spice and anise. A kiss of leafy floral hop in the middle. Yeast spice on the finish.

T- rustic dark bready malt envelopes the palate at first. The spice kicks in with mint, anise and nutmeg.touch of floral hop with a lingering roast character on the finish.

MF- sharp mouthfeel with a medium body. Expressive carbonation.

D- good drinkability.

Overall a very unique beer.

2.95/5  rDev -9%

Ok, every once in a while you come across a beer that does not sit well with you. I am not saying that this beer is bad, but it just wasnt for me.

The pour was ok, semi- dark, but thats it. I couldn't pick up any aromas, hops or anything.
The taste was overwhelming. To me, I was hit with so many different spices and flavors that I couldn't enjoy any of them.

The aftertaste left something bitter for me. Almost to the point, I felt the after taste was skunked.

We cant like every beer we taste!

3.06/5  rDev -5.6%

Split a 22 oz bottle poured into a duvel glass

A: pours black with a finger of mocha colored head after a gentle pour, the head shows some decent retention and settles into a film, leavs some good spots of lacing... Looks good.

S: smell is dominated with herbs and spices, I get mint, oregano, basil, sage, rosemary, some other floraly notes, and way in the background I start to pick up some slightly chocolaty dark Malts, seeing as I am not a huge fan of herbs and spiced beers I did not find this aroma very appealing. I also do not get a whole lot of Belgian yeast aroma, perhaps a touch of Clove, but overall I feel the spices overwhelmed the aroma.

T: unfortunately for me, the taste is much like the aroma, although the hops deffinatly make there presence know here, I get a nice west coast American hops right off the bat blended into the spices.... But again I feel as though the spice dominates the taste of this beer... I wish the Malts were more forward and the spices were toned way back. I do not get a whole lite of Belgian yeast flavors from this beer, as I feel they ate drowned out by the herbal/floral/spice notes.

M: medium body with medium carbonation.... Finish is dry and leavs a herby/floral aftertaste that I am not to find of in my mouth.

O: I did not enjoy this beer, too many things that I personally do not enjoy jammed into one bottle, I feel I would have liked this more if the malts were much more forward and the spices were seriously toned back.... Not my cup of tea.

3.5/5  rDev +8%

Green Flash / St. Feuillien Friendship Brew from Green Flash Brewing Co.