Green Flash / St. Feuillien Friendship Brew | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash / St. Feuillien Friendship BrewGreen Flash / St. Feuillien Friendship Brew

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Availability: Fall

Added by notchucknorris on 08-29-2012

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

2.95/5  rDev -13.7%

Ok, every once in a while you come across a beer that does not sit well with you. I am not saying that this beer is bad, but it just wasnt for me.

The pour was ok, semi- dark, but thats it. I couldn't pick up any aromas, hops or anything.
The taste was overwhelming. To me, I was hit with so many different spices and flavors that I couldn't enjoy any of them.

The aftertaste left something bitter for me. Almost to the point, I felt the after taste was skunked.

We cant like every beer we taste!

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

3.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Into a Belgian Independence day glass.

Friendship Brew pours out a dark color, coca cola black that is not pitch black with a nice amount of dark tan bubbles forming a nice cap and lacing on the way down. Spotty and thick, nice head, good retention. Smell is very spice laden, way more spicy scents than a base saison. I get some herbal remedies with lavender and some underlining pine. No alcohol and some faint dark fruits. I cant really tell what way this beer is going. The taste mimics the scent with a lot of floral notes and the lavender flower I am getting in the nose is boosted in the taste. Some dark malts with underlining fruit taste and some roast. This beer is a different animal. The body is a step up from light with a soothing feel and some ummpphh from the carb. All in all a good effort, but not something I will revisit. Reminds me of something Stillwater would brew up. Either way a good effort from the Green Flash outfit

3.83/5  rDev +12%

Having reviewed this on tap, I realized I have a bottle in the fridge. There's not much difference, but it's noted where there is.

The look is pretty much the same out of the bottle as I saw from the tap. It is, again, as black as a "black saison" could be, and crowned by a thick, fat tan head 1 1/2 to 2 fingers high and sturdy. It drops strong, creamy lacing on the glass as the beer recedes.
Nothing changes in the smell or taste; stillthe strongest smell I get is mint basil. It seems to be a mix of the minty character of the hops and the strong herbal notes. It's also floral and piney. I don't quite get the balance from malts that I get in the flavor which, again, strongly reminds me most of mint basil but lets things play together as more floral (almost perfume-like), toast, pine, and a touch of roasty sweet notes come into play. There's no question the not-quite-funky but herbal and earthy characters of a saison are here, with a bit more in play.
The feel is where this beer deviates just a little. It's still got a medium body,but as the dryness pulls out more, it still has crispness but loses a bit of the smoothness. Carbonation still brings out a little of that creaminess, but it fades off. As it dries out, I get slightly more of a chalkiness in the dry finish.

3.67/5  rDev +7.3%

Dark spiced ale that I would call a Belgian Dark rather than a Saison, but I suppose it's all in the yeast. Really interesting spicy flavor with a lot of the meaty, savory umami taste. Seems like there are three kinds of bitterness-- hops, herbs, and Belgian yeast. Barnyard funk in the nose, hay and hoppy resins on the tongue. The herbs are hard to place. Perhaps anise, hibuscus, licorice root, cigar wrappers, sage, and coriander.

Dark brown and near opaque in the pint glass . Modest foam and appropriate carbonation. Ends with a bite of bitter bark. On tap at Local Habit in San Diego. 5.7% seems to be the accepted abv. I had a couple of different St. Feuillien brews in Belgium last week, and it was one of my favorite breweries. Green Flash ought to just borrow a couple of their recipes for the classics and brew them here.

3.73/5  rDev +9.1%

Bottle was given as a gift. (How appropriate.)

Pours dark black. Small head with moderate lacing.

Smells faintly of malt. Didn't get much of a smell, but my nose isn't the best.

Hop flavor up front followed by rich malt. There's an earthy spiciness that I can't quite describe -- maybe a touch of cinnamon, but that's not quite right. The spices are subtle.

Not so thick that I have to chew, but full bodied.

Good beer. Very interesting. I'm enjoying it more and more as I drink.

3.25/5  rDev -5%

3.25/5  rDev -5%

4.03/5  rDev +17.8%

A - blackish brown with a huge brown, foamy, dense head that has great retention

S - anise, roasted malts, sage

T - anise, citrus, sage, bitter finish, some other spices that I can't put my finger on

M - medium to full bodied, well carbonated

This doesn't resemble a traditional saison, but it's unique and tasty. I'm a huge fan of the herbal notes. I wouldn't have expected these flavors to have all worked together so well. This isn't my favorite "saison", but I give it bonus points for uniqueness. It's definitely worth a try especially if you're a fan of herbs in beer.

4.08/5  rDev +19.3%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a dark brown color and a thick texture. There was an inch and a half of foamy, off white, long-lasting head. Great lacing.

S: A nice aroma of hops, yeast, and some spices.

T: A very interesting flavor for this beer: Lots of hops - way more than I expected considering the style - but also a good amount of yeast, light spices, and a floral quality. Didn't have the funk you expect in a saison. Certainly not your typical saison flavor, but still very tasty.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a super dry finish. Medium-bodied.

O: An unusual beer, but well worth checking out. Drinkable.

3.65/5  rDev +6.7%

A new style for me, so I am not sure how it "should" taste. However, I liked it. A very complex brews. Pours a clear, deep brown looking black in the glass. Thick and enormous coffee head settled to a quarter-inch rocky cover. Heavy lacing. Nose is sharply herbal with sage, mint tea, rose, chamomile. Taste is initially lightly sweet, then delicately sour with umami notes. The finish is bitter and floral. Avg carbonation. Texture is slick. Finish is bitter and long. Overall, it was a fascinating beer. Complex and interesting. Dark and wild with an interesting spiciness and rough finish. Not at all forgettable, bur for the right reasons.

3.68/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Serving type - Bottle

Appearance - Dark tan/black with a monster , foamy 3 inch head, tons of lacing.

Smell - Loads of floral fruits, cherry, grape, plum, rasin. Spices, belgium yeast, Chocolate, fig, smokey malts.

Taste - Lots of spices, floral/grassy notes. Bitter fruits, some malts and yeasts. Lot of cherry and grape flavor. Plum and rasin add the bold, dark fruty flavors. No real alcohol to speak of. A little chocolate, cocoa and coffee comes at the finish.

Mouthfeel - Its medium thickness along with all the spices coats mouth. Tounge gets the spices, hops and yeasts. Palate gets more spices, hops, along with the roasty malts. The aftertaste is bitter, farmhouse sweet and funky.

Overall - This is decent, has a nice mix of malt and saison flavors. Easy enough to drink and enjoy. I guess i was expecting more, the fruity flavors are a little weak though. Its worth a drink, just not something that floored me.

3.28/5  rDev -4.1%

Friendship Brew pours a very dark mahogany brown color. It’s nearly opaque. A few burgundy highlights are noted at the outermost edges. A nice tan head covers it. It stands a couple of fingers tall and sticks around for quite a while. It never fully dissipates. Lacing was sticky and moderate as it trailed down the glass. For a Saison – very interesting.

The nose is pretty good. It features a few dark malt notes out of the gate. Cocoa and dark chocolate are most notable. Coffee is noted. That’s surprising and seems a bit out of place. It smells very earthy and grainy. There’s even a strong piney scent. It has a very strong mix of floral notes and spices. I can’t even begin to identify them. Suffice it to say there are many. Alcohol is blended pretty and isn’t all that noticeable.

The flavor’s alright. It’s far from great. Chocolate malts are definitely noted. Cocoa and bittersweet dark chocolate flavors are the base. Roasted coffee is also noted. So far, it’s definitely not your typical Saison. Earthy and grainy notes are prevalent throughout. It does have a rather strong piney flavor to it. I’m not crazy about it. There are some strong spicy notes throughout. Ginger is probably the strongest. Alcohol isn’t noticeable. Given its strength, that’s not too surprising. Finishes malty, spicy, and piney. Eh. For a Saison, it’s pretty average.

Friendship Brew has a medium body. Carbonation seems pretty light and soft. It’s smooth and goes down relatively easy. If the flavor were a little better, this would be much more drinkable.

This collaboration between Green Flash Brewing Co. and St. Feuillien is alright, but doesn’t quite live up to the expectations I had for it. Its biggest problem is the flavor seems convoluted, too spicy, and far too piney. It’s probably worth a try, but I’d suggest sticking with a single bottle.

2.25/5  rDev -34.2%

3.58/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours an ebony color with a pillowy tan head that leaves chunks of lacing.

Smells of big floral notes with a bit of roasted notes.

Tastes of the floral notes upfront with an earthy undertone. Floral notes leads off with also some spruce or pine notes. Gives a very perfume like feel. Roasted notes come with cocoa and coffee as well as a bit of roasted bitterness. A bit of herbal notes also come through and combine with the floral notes to have a bit of a tea like feel. Not much spice, but a bit of pepper comes through on the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium with a slightly crisp amount of carbonation.

Overall, this was not quite what I was expecting, but it is still pretty good.

2.75/5  rDev -19.6%

2.75/5  rDev -19.6%

Green Flash / St. Feuillien Friendship Brew from Green Flash Brewing Co.