Green Flash / St. Feuillien Friendship Brew | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Green Flash / St. Feuillien Friendship BrewGreen Flash / St. Feuillien Friendship Brew

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Availability: Fall

Added by notchucknorris on 08-29-2012

Photo of
2.75/5  rDev -19.6%

You had this beer. Write a review.

2.76/5  rDev -19.3%

2.76/5  rDev -19.3%

11 ounce pour - $6.50 at Taco Mac in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Brought to my dark, dank corner of the bar a very dark brown body with infinitesimally small bubbles arising from the sides of the glass. Smallish, khaki-colored head depositing a fair amount of lace on the way down.

Smell: Florals that crank the scent dial towards heavily herbal atop astringent burnt, blackened malts and licorice root. Smells like Ricola cough drops.

Taste: Roasted maltiness leaning towards touches of burnt black malt. Near nil sweetness. Then, that rather curious St. Feuillien spice mix that again just screams Ricola (though I guess honking Ricola through one of those long-ass alphorns is more appropriate). Charred prune skins. It's warming, heavily spiced, with coarse burnt malts.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium-plus carbonation.

Overall: It's all well and good to have a collaboration but one best ens--hey, hold up a sec, my cough... it's gone! Thanks, Green Flash/St. Feuillien!

2.79/5  rDev -18.4%

Bottle (2012)

Thanks for pre-release opening this with me, Josh!

Very dark brown in color with a quickly-forming, persistent dark brown head, which eventually leaves messy webs and irregular bubbles and lines of lace down the glass. Very pretty and an unusual style.

Very herbaceous aroma, perhaps sage or rosemary even. There's some black pepper notes along with roast and a mild yeast character as well. A lot going on, though I'm not sure it comes together particularly well.

The flavor suffers a similar fate as the aroma; there's simply too much going on, and none of it working in concert. It's a roasty, yeasty, herb garden of a beer, without much nuance or drinkability.

Medium bodied with high carbonation.

Perhaps some time will help this one, but I don't have high hopes. Yet again, an interesting idea does not necessarily translate into a tasty beer.

2.81/5  rDev -17.8%

A - opaque, dark brown with good head and retention
S - lots of spice, peppery, a bit medicinal and floral
T - unbalanced. Too much spice with a pretty poor after taste. Different.
M - taste aside it's got an okay mouthfeel. Medium-full bodied with average carbonation
O - dumping it. I can't drink this.

2.88/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Even though I paid $1.75 for this I still feel cheated. Color is that of a stout with no inescapable light and a 1/4 inch of deep mocha head. For some reason I wanted this to smell like a Black IPA but alas little to no hops in the nose just mint, anise, and a touch of coriander. Taste is only mildly palatable and makes me wonder why they even bottled this monstrosity. Burn rosemary, deep black anise (which isn't terrible but not great) and a mildly fruity yeast in the finish. Mouthfeel isn't that terrible giving me a medium chewy body much bigger than I would expect for such a low ABV Saison.

Overall this beer is pretty much a fail in the sense of friendship. It made me hate green Flash all over again (still can't drink west coast IPA it taste like soap)

2.9/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

2.9/5  rDev -15.2%

I had this from a pilsner glass.

This is a very black beer. On top you get about two fingers of pillowy head. This retains well and leaves clumps of foam on the side of the glass.

I like the smell coming off of this. There is a good sour presence. The horse blanket smell works well. I also pick up a little bit of red wine there.

The flavor is a car wreck. There is a lot going on here, but none of it works well. You get coffee, sour, some infection, a lot of spice, and I think I even got some rye there. This mix of flavors has absolutely no balance.

This is the first time I have not enjoyed something from Green Flash. I was really disappointed.

2.95/5  rDev -13.7%

Ok, every once in a while you come across a beer that does not sit well with you. I am not saying that this beer is bad, but it just wasnt for me.

The pour was ok, semi- dark, but thats it. I couldn't pick up any aromas, hops or anything.
The taste was overwhelming. To me, I was hit with so many different spices and flavors that I couldn't enjoy any of them.

The aftertaste left something bitter for me. Almost to the point, I felt the after taste was skunked.

We cant like every beer we taste!

Green Flash / St. Feuillien Friendship Brew from Green Flash Brewing Co.