Hop Odyssey: Cedar Plank Pale Ale | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Hop Odyssey: Cedar Plank Pale AleHop Odyssey: Cedar Plank Pale Ale
Liked This Beer
3.67 w/ 381 ratings
Hop Odyssey: Cedar Plank Pale AleHop Odyssey: Cedar Plank Pale Ale

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by mactrail on 11-05-2012

Liked:
3.67/5
Alströms:

2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

2.63/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Not good... Far too bitter aftertaste!

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

2.76/5  rDev -24.8%

2.89/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.9/5  rDev -21%

Green flash cedar plank pale ale

Had on-tap at Avenue Pub New Orleans. Served in a cask glass.

A- Pours a light amber color with a 3/4 inch head that retains well before slowly retreating to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a sheer sheet of surface foam. Very resilient lacing adheres to the side of the glass.

S- Has a very stinky smell to it almost like marshland or something. No, you know what it is? It's that smell you encounter when you drive by a waste processing plant. Never smelled this in a beer before. There's a hint of cedar in the end but doesn't make up for the nastiness before it. Hope the beer doesn't taste that way.

T- Much better in the flavor. Moderately bold cedar is welcome on the palate as the hops create a mild bitterness. Still, the strange and unpleasant aroma greets my nose with every sip and kinda ruins it for me.

M- The feel is zesty and bright with medium carbonation and a lightish body.

O- So, needless to say, I don't like my beer to smell like a waste processing plant. I have no idea if that smell is intentional or if I'm dealing with dirty draft lines or what. Either way, this was a great disappointment. Seriously, I've smelled some crazy aromas in gueuzes and other wild ales before but this was seriously foul.

2.9/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Ugh this one is awful

2.95/5  rDev -19.6%

As long as Green Flash keeps sending hoppy stuff to MN, I’ll keep buying it. 22 oz. bomber split with my wife.

The pour is a filtered dark yellow. The nose is surprisingly hoppy; I suppose I’ve grown accustomed to the Cigar City take on cedar-aged beers, which mostly involved lining the inside of the bottle like a cedar chest. Very floral, & I wouldn’t detect the wood at all if I hadn’t read the label.

Cedar Plank might have been plucked out of Menard’s bargain bin. The cedar/woodiness comes on strong, unlike the nose, & clashes spear on shield with the hoppiness. The delicate citrus & floral notes can’t stand up to the wood, & the combination is jarring on the palate. Finish cleans up to a nice bitterness, but I can still feel my brow furrowing after several sips. Strength? Easy enough going down.

My second go at their “experimental hop” series or whatever it is, & the only two Green Flash beers, that I really haven’t enjoyed. The flavors just don’t play well together, & IMHO, the hops need to be amped up to have a chance against the cedar. Doesn’t even touch average.

Hop Odyssey: Cedar Plank Pale Ale from Green Flash Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 54.3% out of 100 with 381 ratings