Sleepin' With Shaggy | Green Flash Brewing Co.

Sleepin' With ShaggySleepin' With Shaggy

Green Flash Brewing Co.
greenflashbrew.com

Style: American Barleywine

After spending 4 years in Brandy barrels it became time to unleash the dark monster within. Thick toffee aromatics exude with dense layers of fig, molasses, caramel, and a medley of dark fruits. Sweet flavors of toffee and caramel mingle with the warming spice of vanilla, sherry-like notes, and brandy barrel oak tannin. When served above 55 degrees Fahrenheit (highly recommended) more dark fruits like plum, date, raisin, and fig are further revealed. Our CEO/Founder Mike Hinkley has enjoyed pairing this Brandy Barrel Aged Barleywine with a big stuffed “Shaggy” dog that came from the local fair carnies and therefore we now have “Sleepin' with Shaggy”.

Added by MasterSki on 01-03-2013

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

I think this style caters to a very specific type of taste, which does not make it bad at all. I, personally, did not care for it. This may have been because I had an American Wild Ale before it, I did take my time to sip it. It never grew on me. It had a lovely aroma of dark fruits, figs, red wine, plums, and dates. It never really wanted to make me take another sip other than the 12.8% to get a buzz. I will try this again soon to judge it once more, but for now I can say I would not buy it again. If you like a barley wine that taste like red wine and dates with a thick syrup and mix of dark fruit aroma - this is for you.

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

3.05/5  rDev -20.4%

Bottle (2013)

Thanks for the gift, cocoapuph!

Very dark brown body with a huge, quickly forming, and incredibly persistent head of light brown bubbles. Over-carbonated, especially for the style. This started to gush some upon opening. Once the head settles down, what's left is a very pretty barrel-aged barleywine, but before then it's largely just a glass of bubbles. I'll split the difference and call it average.

A flawed aroma, though there are some sweet, somewhat charred caramel candy notes peeking through which is nice. Lots and lots of oak character. Unfortunately, there's also some herbal qualities I don't particularly care for (juniper is actually really accurate--nice call Subpoena!), and the booze is quite present, especially on bigger whiffs. Some strengths, but definite weaknesses.

The flavor is just slightly better than the aroma, but it suffers from similar failings. Juniper, booze, lots of oak, and earthy and sweet brandy combine. There's elements of charred caramel candies as well. The flavor don't integrate particularly well, but they're not bad either.

The true failing of this beer. Very high carbonation, especially upon the first few sips seems akin to Pop Rocks or something similar. Aggressive carbonation, as in, they seem to be attacking my mouth. The mouthfeel gets better after swirling out a lot of the carbonation, but I shouldn't have to do that.

Overall, very disappointing, but not bad in the true sense of the word.

This gets better the more it warms and once the carbonation is knocked down to nearly zero (where it belongs).

3.1/5  rDev -19.1%

3.1/5  rDev -19.1%

3.14/5  rDev -18%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

1726th Review on BA
Bottle to Cycle Brewing Snifter
12oz

2013 release
Thanks to GuruDel for sharing.

App- Out of the bottle I was expecting a really nice looking beer. I was not let down. A deep crimson with some browns and reds mixed in. The head was a nice 1/2" of off tan head, that clunk well to the glass.

Smell- Okay. So this was pure brandy in the glass with some oak behind it. Very muddled and lacked integration. I didnt get a balance of oak, malts, vanilla. This was very prickly and off on the nose. I get the toffee and some burnt sugars like a creme brulee but very lacking balance and integration.

Taste- I am floored by how bad I didnt like this. Average at best and I am being nice. The brandy completely took over and added layers of prickly booze with some charred sugars, a bit grainy and earthy and a little bit of dark fruits. I am not sure what happened to this, but I expected a lot more. Was very let down.

Mouth- Well I think this is the major flaw of the beer. Completely not what you want out of a brandy barrel barleywine. A lot of prickly booze and a thinner body. The carbonation is too puffy and has a sweet tart prickly feel behind it.

Drink- Its just a touch above average. Sad they spent so much time sitting on this one.

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

Sleepin' With Shaggy from Green Flash Brewing Co.