The Power Of Zeus

May 07, 2021
Added:
Sep 02, 2013
SCORE
Good
The Power Of ZeusThe Power Of Zeus
Notes: This powerful pale ale was brewed with Zeus hops to create a pale ale as hoppy as our friend, Zeus the Toad, who greeted us when we planted the first Zeus hop plant in our on-site hop field.
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
Ratings by Mebuzzard:
3.75/5  rDev +1.6%
by Mebuzzard from Colorado

Oct 14, 2013
More User Ratings:

3.58 by BD3 from Wisconsin on May 07, 2021

3.6 by Haybeerman from Colorado on Apr 18, 2021
4.14/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
by CHickman from New York

Pours hazy copper color with a 2-3 finger extremely thick beige colored head that dissipated so slowly it was like watching a glacier melt, leaving really nice foamy lacing coating the glass. Smells equally malty and hoppy with sweet malt and caramel blending with piney and floral hops, along with peppery spices plus earthy notes.

Tastes like it smells, again it’s equally malty and hoppy with sweet malt, caramel, roasted grains and tea leaf blending with piney and floral hops, as well as some citrus bitterness with lemon zest and grapefruit showing through. The finish is dry and on the spicy side with tea leaf, dry grass and pepper.

Apr 02, 2021
3.87/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4
by BobMagruder from Oregon

Poured a foamy golden color from a can into a goblet. Smell up front was hoppy but not intense. I was expecting an overhopped Pale but the taste had a little malt backbone and finished with a lingering hop bitterness without a big bite.

Mar 18, 2021
3.5/5  rDev -5.1%
by Navanation from Pennsylvania

Lovely amber color with a slight haze. One inch egg shell colored head that laces nicelydown the glass. Hops and malt blend perfectly, not too bitter with hops, not too sweet with malt. Citrus on the tongue.

Mar 14, 2021

3.54 by Kolb from Montana on Apr 25, 2019
3.78/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
by Wasatch from Colorado

12 oz. Can
Enjoy By: 11/29/18

Poured into a tulip a pretty nice hazy dark golden orange color, pretty nice carbonation, with a pretty nice thick/creamy one-finger plus off-white head, which also leaves some pretty nice sticky lacing behind. The nose is hoppy, malty, with a nice citrus complex (orange, tangerine, mango, guava), some pine. The taste is nice, hoppy, malty, with a nice citrus complex (orange, tangerine, mango, guava), piney, nice little sweetness. Medium body, ABV is hidden nicely, with a nice little dry/bitter finish. Overall, a tasty brew.

Sep 26, 2018
2.92/5  rDev -20.9%
by Beaver13 from Colorado

12 oz can, dated 9/29/18. A gusher...pours hazy copper gold with a huge rocky off white head that retains well and leaves little lacing.

The aroma is subdued - biscuity malt with metallic hops.

The flavor is sweet biscuit caramel malt with mild fruity hops with a bitter finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, an OK APA.

Sep 12, 2018

3.5 by DerwinWentworth from Utah on Sep 03, 2018

3 by VaporDome from New York on Sep 01, 2018
3.78/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75
by NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

High Hops Brewery "The Power Of Zeus"
12 fl. oz. can without production codes or freshness dating
$2.49 @ Roger Wilco, Pennsauken, NJ

Notes via stream of consciousness: Wow, is this one of those cloudy IPAs? No, it's an American pale ale. It's cloudy though, I can't see through it. Cloudier than a hefeweizen. Not much head though. So far it's not looking good. Maybe the aroma will improve it. Ahhhh, lot's of caramel malt there and not much in the way of hops. I'm guessing this is an old beer. Why don't breweries put dates on their products? So, OK, let's go with it though, if they chose to allow old beer on the market that's on them. So I'm looking for the Zeus in the aroma... it's herbal, and spicy, with some black pepper so I guess that matches up. It's floral with some light pine and soft citrus as well. It's nice, but not that bold. I guess it works as APA though. On to the flavor, wow, there's a distinct black licorice note in the flavor which is definitely a Zeus characteristic. Again, there's a definite caramel accented malt that's quite solid. It's bready and sweetish. It's actually a pretty good base for the hops though, it's full enough and malty enough to hold up to the herbal spiciness of the hops, and supports the black pepper and licorice notes. Interesting. I wish there was a little more citrus but it's OK. I'm not sure I've ever had a beer exactly like this - no, really, I am sure, I haven't, it's quite unique. How good it is in comparison to other variations is up to the individual. The bitterness is solid, up there in IPA territory. It works though. This is a lot better than I thought it would be with the poor start so let's just wrap it up. Medium-full in body with a moderate, seemingly natural carbonation - I'd certainly hope so with all that haze, although no yeast has fallen out so far. The limited carb has left little head, which has then left little lace. Unfortunately that will really hurt it number-wise. Taste-wise I'm giving it a bump for uniqueness although I have to set it back a bit for excessive bitterness. With a little bit of focus and some polish this could be a great beer but it's not quite there yet. - - - Update, tough call on this one, I'd scored it a 3.75 but it's better than that. To adjust I upped my score for appearance although it really should be a 3 or 3.25.

Dec 22, 2017
3.58/5  rDev -3%
by Parmesan from Colorado

L: Slightly hazy copper ruby color, with a large frothy white head and a few fingers of lacing around the glass.

S: Sweet caramel meets the nose, followed by piney, floral and spicy hops, smells a little maltier than I expect a pale ale to be.

T: Begins with Sweet caramel followed by a strong pine on the nose, a bit of floral and spice. A strong bitterness for a pale ale, but also still pretty malty.

F: Medium body, a little bit of tingly carbonation.

O: This isn't a bad pale ale, but I would prefer it to be less malty and a little less bitter.

May 17, 2017

3.79 by NickMunford from Wyoming on Nov 16, 2016
3.98/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4
by akolb from Colorado

I was excited to try this beer from a lovely local brewery that has lots of great stuff. Pours amber-brown with a tall head. Aroma of caramel and mild pine. Fairly subdued. Taste focuses on the malts. Caramel and bread dominate, with some bright citrus and pine notes in the background. The Zeus hops add some interesting herbal and spicy flavors.The bitter finish is substantial and very pleasing. The only real flaw I can find is the watery mouthfeel. A solid malt-forward ale.

Aug 31, 2016

3.75 by hozersr from Pennsylvania on Aug 27, 2016
by BeerLouie from Colorado

Wow. How can I put this.. Decided to try a random beer and I got this one, Got me by surprise after 2 still going on the last from a six pack. Well played. This is amazing beer, I like the bitter taste on my tounge, tells me I had a damn good beer!

Aug 22, 2016

3.19 by nuebs from South Dakota on Oct 21, 2015
3.72/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
by barczar from Kentucky

Aroma is lightly malty, touch of caramel and sweet bread, with resiny, piney hops.

Flavor is lightly sweet, with fairly earthy hops and pine entering mid palate and carrying into a moderately bitter, earthy finish.

Sep 28, 2015

3.59 by habaceeba from Colorado on Aug 28, 2015
3.5/5  rDev -5.1%
by ANIMOUL from Vermont

Stronger type of American Pale Ale. Initial thoughts: more malts than hops for the style. Goes down smoove and not a bad APA. Almost tried fresh at their brewery in Windsor; but my wife's foot hurt

Aug 16, 2015

3.5 by Chucker17 from South Dakota on Aug 09, 2015

3.5 by jpuetz from South Dakota on Aug 04, 2015
3.77/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75
by woodychandler from Pennsylvania

I am doing my best to reduce my beer backlog by way of advancing The CANQuest (tm) and I am doing so via triage, so EIPAs, AIPAs and DIPAs get priority. You CAN probably imagine the toll that this is taking on my palate. I am not even sure where this one came from, but it could well have been my ex-#TheOldLady. This makes me sad.

From the CAN: "'Alle Types of Beer for All Types of People'"; "Camping[;] Climbing[;] Friends[;]Hiking[;]Frolfing[;]Treehouses[;]Fishing[;]Please Recycle"; "An Ameri[CAN] Pale Ale brewed with Zeus hops from our fields. These hops are carefully guarded by Zeus the Toad, the great and powerful protector of our fields. He greeted us as we planted the first Zeus hops."; "A well-balanced, remarkably delightful Pale Ale."; "Ingredients: Water from the Cache La Poudre River, In-House Cultured Yeast, Hops Grown On-Site, And the Finest Malts."; "Pairs Well With: People, Friends, Family, And the Outdoors[.]"

Wow, kinda trippy, man. I might need Cheech & Chong to translate that for me, man.

I Crack!ed it open to the tune of a loud Hiss and Bang, but surprisingly, it was initially calm. A minute or so later, however, and I was getting foam through the vent! I CANmenced a gentle, sideways pour, but I still got a good bit of foaming action which caused me to have to stop before I got an overflow. I am patient and so I allowed it to settle into two-plus fingers of dense, tawny head with excellent retention. This slowed my procession, but patience is key. I watched as it slowly fell, leaving sticky lacing in its wake. Nose smelled of mint and black pepper and while it might seem easy to characterize it as "peppermint", that would not be appropriate. Color was a slightly hazy Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17). Mouthfeel was medium-to-full with an unexpected viscosity, especially for the style. The taste was bitter, like grapefruit rind or zest had been added directly to the beer. It also gave off a honey malt-like sweetness which nicely counterbalanced the hops. The finish was semi-dry, but I kept coming back to that pithy, rind-like bitterness which kind of put me off of enjoying it more than I did.

Jun 26, 2015

3.98 by aussiebeer from Illinois on Jun 16, 2015
3.48/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25
by deleted_user_357747

Outstanding appearance, with a lovely thick creamy head that lasts. Glowing amber orange-ish hue. Nose is impressively aromatic, with deep dried apricots, graham cracker malt sweetness. Fairly bitter, hops seem to loose some of their juiciness in the taste. Great feel, though.

Could use some more balance and bring out some sweetness. Decent.

Jun 11, 2015
3.77/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
by beergoot from Colorado

Dark, somewhat hazy gold body; decent very thick, creamy, white head; lasting. Fresh cut grass aroma; some zesty pine; earthy. Light bread flavor; sharp, edgy hop bitterness. Fairly heavy body; tingly on the palate; dry finish.

A pretty decent, hop-forward ale. The grains provide a low-key background for the hops to do their thing. Zesty and vibrant.

Apr 26, 2015

4.42 by mrjbrown27 from South Dakota on Feb 15, 2015

3.71 by WDJersey from Colorado on Feb 14, 2015
3.96/5  rDev +7.3%
by SD-Alefan from South Dakota

Pours from the can a nice copper color with an off white head. in the glass, the beer is slightly cloudy and leaves pronounced lacing.
Nice aroma, loaded with citrus and pine notes, a bit of grassiness as well.
Taste is pine, resin and all things bitter. No lie, a big bitter hit that lingers nicely. There is a hint of grapefruit and a very slight caramel sweetness.
Mouthfeel is medium.
Overall, this is a pretty tasty brew.

Feb 09, 2015