The Power Of Zeus | High Hops Brewery

The Power Of ZeusThe Power Of Zeus
3.68/5
Good
The Power Of ZeusThe Power Of Zeus

High Hops Brewery
Colorado, United States
highhopsbrewery.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

This powerful pale ale was brewed with Zeus hops to create a pale ale as hoppy as our friend, Zeus the Toad, who greeted us when we planted the first Zeus hop plant in our on-site hop field.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 16 | Ratings: 43
Reviews by Mebuzzard:
3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

High Hops Brewery "The Power Of Zeus"
12 fl. oz. can without production codes or freshness dating
$2.49 @ Roger Wilco, Pennsauken, NJ

Notes via stream of consciousness: Wow, is this one of those cloudy IPAs? No, it's an American pale ale. It's cloudy though, I can't see through it. Cloudier than a hefeweizen. Not much head though. So far it's not looking good. Maybe the aroma will improve it. Ahhhh, lot's of caramel malt there and not much in the way of hops. I'm guessing this is an old beer. Why don't breweries put dates on their products? So, OK, let's go with it though, if they chose to allow old beer on the market that's on them. So I'm looking for the Zeus in the aroma... it's herbal, and spicy, with some black pepper so I guess that matches up. It's floral with some light pine and soft citrus as well. It's nice, but not that bold. I guess it works as APA though. On to the flavor, wow, there's a distinct black licorice note in the flavor which is definitely a Zeus characteristic. Again, there's a definite caramel accented malt that's quite solid. It's bready and sweetish. It's actually a pretty good base for the hops though, it's full enough and malty enough to hold up to the herbal spiciness of the hops, and supports the black pepper and licorice notes. Interesting. I wish there was a little more citrus but it's OK. I'm not sure I've ever had a beer exactly like this - no, really, I am sure, I haven't, it's quite unique. How good it is in comparison to other variations is up to the individual. The bitterness is solid, up there in IPA territory. It works though. This is a lot better than I thought it would be with the poor start so let's just wrap it up. Medium-full in body with a moderate, seemingly natural carbonation - I'd certainly hope so with all that haze, although no yeast has fallen out so far. The limited carb has left little head, which has then left little lace. Unfortunately that will really hurt it number-wise. Taste-wise I'm giving it a bump for uniqueness although I have to set it back a bit for excessive bitterness. With a little bit of focus and some polish this could be a great beer but it's not quite there yet. - - - Update, tough call on this one, I'd scored it a 3.75 but it's better than that. To adjust I upped my score for appearance although it really should be a 3 or 3.25.

2.92/5  rDev -20.7%

12 oz can, dated 9/29/18. A gusher...pours hazy copper gold with a huge rocky off white head that retains well and leaves little lacing.

The aroma is subdued - biscuity malt with metallic hops.

The flavor is sweet biscuit caramel malt with mild fruity hops with a bitter finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, an OK APA.

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce can, w/o freshness/canning date info.

Pours hazed darker honey amber, moderate head khaki head, slowly goes to a quality looking film, thicker collar and some slippery blobs of lacing.

Mild nose of ripe fruit.

Smooth, and easy drinking, with more ripe fruits, some moderate citrus and faded tea infused hops.

Decent Pale ale, but lacks the excitement and burst of flavors of the all stars of the style.

3.77/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

I am doing my best to reduce my beer backlog by way of advancing The CANQuest (tm) and I am doing so via triage, so EIPAs, AIPAs and DIPAs get priority. You CAN probably imagine the toll that this is taking on my palate. I am not even sure where this one came from, but it could well have been my ex-#TheOldLady. This makes me sad.

From the CAN: "'Alle Types of Beer for All Types of People'"; "Camping[;] Climbing[;] Friends[;]Hiking[;]Frolfing[;]Treehouses[;]Fishing[;]Please Recycle"; "An Ameri[CAN] Pale Ale brewed with Zeus hops from our fields. These hops are carefully guarded by Zeus the Toad, the great and powerful protector of our fields. He greeted us as we planted the first Zeus hops."; "A well-balanced, remarkably delightful Pale Ale."; "Ingredients: Water from the Cache La Poudre River, In-House Cultured Yeast, Hops Grown On-Site, And the Finest Malts."; "Pairs Well With: People, Friends, Family, And the Outdoors[.]"

Wow, kinda trippy, man. I might need Cheech & Chong to translate that for me, man.

I Crack!ed it open to the tune of a loud Hiss and Bang, but surprisingly, it was initially calm. A minute or so later, however, and I was getting foam through the vent! I CANmenced a gentle, sideways pour, but I still got a good bit of foaming action which caused me to have to stop before I got an overflow. I am patient and so I allowed it to settle into two-plus fingers of dense, tawny head with excellent retention. This slowed my procession, but patience is key. I watched as it slowly fell, leaving sticky lacing in its wake. Nose smelled of mint and black pepper and while it might seem easy to characterize it as "peppermint", that would not be appropriate. Color was a slightly hazy Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17). Mouthfeel was medium-to-full with an unexpected viscosity, especially for the style. The taste was bitter, like grapefruit rind or zest had been added directly to the beer. It also gave off a honey malt-like sweetness which nicely counterbalanced the hops. The finish was semi-dry, but I kept coming back to that pithy, rind-like bitterness which kind of put me off of enjoying it more than I did.

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. Can
Enjoy By: 11/29/18

Poured into a tulip a pretty nice hazy dark golden orange color, pretty nice carbonation, with a pretty nice thick/creamy one-finger plus off-white head, which also leaves some pretty nice sticky lacing behind. The nose is hoppy, malty, with a nice citrus complex (orange, tangerine, mango, guava), some pine. The taste is nice, hoppy, malty, with a nice citrus complex (orange, tangerine, mango, guava), piney, nice little sweetness. Medium body, ABV is hidden nicely, with a nice little dry/bitter finish. Overall, a tasty brew.

3.79/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.89/5  rDev +5.7%

3.9/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.94/5  rDev +7.1%

Attractive dark amber with a modest foam. Winey, toasty, and full of malt. This is a very flavorful quaff that grows on you after some sipping. A little spicy, with a unique flavor that is slightly grapey, with a grapefruit bitter edge, and ends with a pleasantly musty note. Aroma of warm pine needles.

Brewed with Zeus hops, as you might expect, though grown around Windsor, which is unexpected but nice to know Colorado has a growing hop industry. Mine have been growing in Denver for years, making a lovely green screen but alas all are male.

A pleasant mouth-filling brew that provides a hop education without the terminal bitterness. It's nice that they make a single hop Pale Ale rather than the usual overhopped IPA. From the 22 oz bottle purchased at Wilbur's Total Beverage in Fort Collins.

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Outstanding appearance, with a lovely thick creamy head that lasts. Glowing amber orange-ish hue. Nose is impressively aromatic, with deep dried apricots, graham cracker malt sweetness. Fairly bitter, hops seem to loose some of their juiciness in the taste. Great feel, though.

Could use some more balance and bring out some sweetness. Decent.

3.72/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Aroma is lightly malty, touch of caramel and sweet bread, with resiny, piney hops.

Flavor is lightly sweet, with fairly earthy hops and pine entering mid palate and carrying into a moderately bitter, earthy finish.

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark, somewhat hazy gold body; decent very thick, creamy, white head; lasting. Fresh cut grass aroma; some zesty pine; earthy. Light bread flavor; sharp, edgy hop bitterness. Fairly heavy body; tingly on the palate; dry finish.

A pretty decent, hop-forward ale. The grains provide a low-key background for the hops to do their thing. Zesty and vibrant.

3.19/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.59/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.05/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Had a this beer with the High Hops Hops Shot. What a concept! I first took a taster of this beer before the hops shot. Very solid pale ale. Nice piney hops taste, not overpowering, but definitely strong. A nice darker color. Foamy head.

Then I had one poured in the hop shot glass. Poured over whole Zeus hops and steeped for 5 minutes before pour. Even better! The hops flavor mellowed out but in no way went away. Very smooth drink. This could be a very sessionable beer. Overall, I would definitely have again.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

a delightful pale ale, featuring the zeus hops, which are also columbus and tomahawk from what i understand, but they are grown right there on premises according to the can, so thats awesome. hazy look to it, nice white head though, and a great aroma of fresh spicy hops and a hit of grapefruit and cut grass in there too. pale malt base is rather straight forward, but the hops are really vibrant, and the grain does a good job of supporting while staying in the background. citrus and earthy spice to the hop profile, moderate sweetness in the middle, and a ton of grapefruit bitterness as it finishes. very delicately put together, very vermont and the like. carbonation is right there where it should be, above average, and the body is just a touch more than medium, making this a hearty and satisfying yet also very refreshing brew from high hops. this is my first from them and i like it a lot, i also support the fact that they seem to be so agriculturally focused. i think we need more of that estate type brewing, a true taste of colorado here, very very good pale ale.

3.87/5  rDev +5.2%