El Dorado | Aztec Brewing Company

3.36/5
Alströms:

Reviews by mactrail:
3.05/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This is a darker amber than the usual Blonde golden color. Modest foam with an average carbonation. A faint nose of buckwheat and something lemony.

Some malty taste of a generic beery sort with a little sweetness. After that, the flavor is just bitter without anything aromatic. There is a little of the Pale Ale browned biscuit taste. This actually tastes more like the fruity English hops are buried here. I don't know why they like to call it "Kolsch style," there is certainly nothing of the perfumey German hops. This reminds me of the New English Brewing beers that are vaguely British but rather flat in flavor.

From the 22 oz bottle bought at Liticker's in Ocean Beach.

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

2.89/5  rDev -14%

I purchased this beer in a 22 oz bomber from the cooler at the local Major Market where I live for $3.99. Seemed like a good buy...

This beer poured a dark yellow. Much darker than one would expect for something called a "blonde ale". There was a white, thick head that lasted throughout much of the pour. It eventually settled down to a skim of white foam, with some lacing on the glass.

Initial aroma was strong pale ale like malt. That was followed by some very lightly fruity/flowery hop aroma coupled with some sweet smelling malt & yeast.

The initial taste was for me was a strong malt and yeast flavor. I have to be honest; this was very similar to most home brewed ales that I've had. I think it either fermented at too warm of a temp (somewhat medicinal tasting...), or they used the White Labs Cal Ale Yeast V, which I think has a very distinctive flavor to me. Getting over the initial taste, I could pick up malt which was balanced nicely by the fruity/flowery and somewhat bitter hop flavor.

The beer had a medium body and was fairly effervescent for a blonde ale. I was surprised at home much carbonation it had as I poured and tasted it.

Overall, this beer is just average to me. It's a lot like the other ales out there. Its a lot like home brews that are out there. I would say that it's not distinctive or remarkable in any way. I wouldn't buy this again.

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

11/26/2011

On tap at Aztec Brewery.

A: Yellow gold with a small white head that quickly fades.

S: Mineral, a touch of apple, and a little bread. Light and simple but not unpleasant.

T: Big mineral flavor with an assertive hop bitterness. Malt is soft, imparting notes of bread. The finish is pretty clean with a trailing bitterness and evident astringency.

M: Light in body with moderate carbonation.

Overall: A little more mineral than I typically like and a bit too bitter.

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

On tap at Aztec Brewing Company in Vista, CA.

Pours a clear honey orange with a tan head that settles to a film on top of the beer. A curtain of lace forms on the glass on the drink down. Smell is of sweet malt and some fruity aromas. Taste is very much the same. There is a mild herbal bitterness on the palate after each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is easy drinking.

3.69/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

El Dorado from Aztec Brewing Company