Lazy Mutt Wet Hopped IPA | Rhinelander Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Availability: Fall

Added by biboergosum on 11-03-2013

2.75/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

650ml bottle. Erg, where to begin? Does Minhas (eep, I mean, Rhinelander, of course) actually use Wisconsin local-grown hops (Cascade, Centennial, and Crystal, purportedly) in this offering? Would that really be the lowest-cost alternative? Am I beating my head against a wall once again?

This beer pours a clear pale copper amber colour, with three fingers of puffy, bulbous, and silken foamy off-white head, which leaves some chunky drooping cloud lace around the glass as it steadily bleeds out of sight.

It smells of muted citrus and pine oils, well mixed with generic soapy cleanser agents, a la Mr. Clean, grainy, bready malt, stale apple and pear fruitiness, sticky cheap perfume, and veritable leafy, weedy hops. The taste is thin generic citrus, rotting pine forest flora, soapy, well, soap, I guess, weakly grainy, pale and caramel malts, and very little else - thankfully, I suppose.

The bubbles are average, and a tad frothy at best, but supportive enough, the body on the lee side of medium weight, and rather tacky in its futile attempt at straight-up smoothness. It finishes surprisingly plainly (not usually a good thing, I know) - with a generally retreated citrus and pine hoppiness (for better or for worse), middling pale malts, and the faintest of skanky industrial off-flavours yet.

Keep reaching for those stars, Minhas - while this is probably the worst 'wet-hopped' beer I've ever had, it's also one of the um, 'best' beers that you've ever put out, so I'm cutting you a whole shitload of slack here. Oh, and from here forward, this dyed in the wool hophead may be just too busy to take your still sickly call.

Lazy Mutt Wet Hopped IPA from Rhinelander Brewing Company