Export Beer | Rhinelander Brewing Company

Rhinelander Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
rhinelanderbrewery.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

The beer that started the entire stubby beer bottle craze is back! Made with the original recipe from yester-year, it is a refreshing and malty beer made with only the finest 2-row malted barley and sun ripened hops that create a light and smooth finish. Carbonation dances off your tongue and reminds you that the best things in life are crisp just like the northwoods! Look for it in your favorite retailer and on premise establishment.

Added by DabblinWiscCraft on 07-15-2011

View: Beers
Reviews by ChrisMon02:

3.32/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

There are times, WRT The Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody, that I feel compelled to laugh. Previously, it was in frustration at the mounting and (seemingly) insurmountable volume, but in this case, it is at the small and subsumable volume of a "Shorty". Yo, Shorty, let's get it on! I am short in stature as a male, but people constantly make the mistake of thinking that I only like women of my height. Au contraire! I have had many statuesque girlfriends, but for them, I was a novelty & not a keeper. 8=( I like being their little monkey, climbing all over them as they laugh & giggle. Big things come in little packages. Many thanks to my local, in-person trader, tone77, for dropping this off for me!

From the bottle: "Shorty"; "Refreshing as Wisconsin's Northwoods".

I was not pleased by the screw-top nature of this pee-wee bottle, but I still conducted a gentle pour. No matter how vigorous my swirl, I could not raise anything more than a skim of foam as head. Sometimes, you just have to concede & give up. Color was Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with filament brightness. Nose was off, but only slightly off. It had a honey-like sweetness, but something just did not seem right. Mouthfeel was kind of thin and watery, The taste was Minhas light - plastic, bubble gum & dry cleaning plant & I could hear the Cyberleader suit calling me, but not strongly enough nor in enough volume to risk being found by Doctor Who and/or Torchwood. It strikes me that ALL Minhas products nee beers should be put in shorty/stubby/pony bottles for quick & easy consumption. Less to suffer through that way. Finish was semi-dry, moderately passable & another example of a flawed style. Enjoy!

2.75/5  rDev -2.1%

7oz Bottle
$4.99 8-Pack
Herman's Package Store - Ottawa, IL

I have to say, Minhas got me with the old time-y, Northwoods labeling and the cool little stubby 7oz bottle. Rhinelander pours about like any other mass produced lager.A crystal clear golden body fills the mug with large bubbles meandering to the surface. The head is pure white and actually shows some good staying power. A cap sticks around for a good long time and leaves behind some sticky lace.

The smell leaves something to be desired. Initially I'm hit with soggy grains and an indistinguishable, musty, pale maltiness. Stewed corn picks up quickly and brings along sweetness while a touch of sulfer brings up the rear. While my description doesn't sound good in the least but it's certainly not bad either.

The flavor is spot on with the aroma. Watery grains and that same maltiness that adds sweetness and is pale but that's about all I can tell.Stewed corn brings along sweetness in the middle through the back. There's subtle fruitiness on the swallow, soft green apple. The sulfer note has disappeared, which helps. Not bad.

A body that feels a little watery and carbonation that's overly fizzy put a little hurt on the beer overall. The bubbles are enough to tickle the tongue. A 7oz bottle of this is easy enough to put away and fairly fast.

Rhinelander is far from being a good beer but at times a beer of this sort hits the spot. While it drinks a little sweeter than some other adjunct lagers I buy more often, I could see myself picking this up again in the future. Sure beats the hell out of Bud and MGD.

3.75/5  rDev +33.5%

3.1/5  rDev +10.3%

2.5/5  rDev -11%

1.85/5  rDev -34.2%

207ml bottle, label sez 'Shorty Export Beer' for we good folks north of the 49th, who must be tired of those American-style bombers of beer flooding the shelves lately. Time to fix that, eh, Minhas?

This beer pours a clear, bright apple juice colour, with a wisp of fizzy, and indeterminately hued head, as it phases out in less than a blink of an eye. Same goes for any lace you might have been expecting.

It smells of sweet, sugary corn gruel, nail polish remover, and a faint dead leaves on the ground rotten vegetation essence. Urg. The taste is more saccharine, slick corn, some rice pudding runoff, a lesser, but still within the realm of evil, swirling, undead phenolic cheap white wine character, and a comparatively inoffensive, but at the same time over-matched earthy dryness.

The bubbles are pretty well comatose, the body a pithy medium weight, sure, but accompanied by a tacky, cloying, and somewhat oily texture. It finishes with a rehash of all of the above, though thankfully waning.

I sure hope that the marketing pap on the bottle (sorry, 'shorty') is wrong about Wisconsin's Northwoods having the same refreshing attributes as this beer - otherwise I'd probably have to hold my nose if ever visited there. The real silver lining here is that there was only 7oz of this stuff to suffer through.

1.53/5  rDev -45.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

"Shorty" bottle poured into a bar glass.

A - Poured out a lifeless yellow color with no head and not even a hint of lacing.

S - Cooked corn with a sickening sweetness.

T - Kind of like a really bad beer with sugar added. I only rated 1.25 since I am sure I will eventually try something worth of a 1.

M - Thick and syrupy.

O - This is the kind of beer that gives "bad beer" a bad reputation. This has to be the worst beer I have had in a long while. I rarely can't finish a beer, but even in a shorty bottle I couldn't finish it.

3.95/5  rDev +40.6%

Poured chilled from a 7 oz. bottle into a standard pint glass. Warmed up to about 45º before sampling.

A=Darker golden hue; richer looking than mainstream adjuncts. Nice white, foamy head.

S=Sweetness, more like honey than maple syrup.

T=A strong malt bomb, with little if any hops; sweeter than most...maltiness dominates...perhaps a bit of mustiness.

M=Nice body, but the light carbonation almost seemed to make it taste as if it were flat.

O=I enjoyed this beer, and I am glad I got to try a bottle before buying a 6-pack or more at the store. I will purchase this again, as I often prefer a 7 oz. to a 12 oz. bottle, and this is a better beer than Miller High Life, Lite, and even the Little King's Cream Ale that are sold locally in 7 oz. bottles. I don't think I like this enough to purchase the 24 bottle case commonly sold in the area for $9.99, but if I find a 6-pack or 12-pack, I will buy it again. If you are in Wisconsin and prefer "shorties"--this is one that you should go out of your way to look for to replace the BMC's or Little Kings you've been buying.

2.25/5  rDev -19.9%

3.12/5  rDev +11%

A thank you to cpolking for sending this beer. Poured from 2 brown 7 oz. bottles. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts, some grains. Taste is crisp, malts, corn, some grains. Feels light and highly carbonated in the mouth and overall is your standard, run of the mill AAL.

2.57/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

A- Poor showing for the bottle size...what is this? The beer pours a golden color and is very clear. The head is pretty much non existent and lacing is invisible as well...instead there is an oily film coating the side of my glass. Carbonation appears to be normal, with only a few columns of bubbly goodness rising to the top of the liquid.

S- Bananas! This is heavy in ripe banana fruit for sure. There is another heavy aroma of sweet honey, which is a unique combination....butterscotch sweetness, candy corn and other sweet adjectives are noted as well. There is zero hop bitterness....

T- Corn! There isn't much more to this beer except that the flavor is much too sweet and reminds me of boiled corn water. To it's credit, there is a honeyed sweetness about it as well but is is strictly an adjunct lager....not good on the palate.

M/O- Very light bodied, heavy in carbonation and not quite a beer in my opinion....rather a cloying, fizzy rendition of something resembling my favorite beverage. I've had worse but not too many have this distinction.....Minhas....need I say more? Don't waste your money on this swill.

2.63/5  rDev -6.4%

7 oz. "tiny Rhiney" served up with a tumbler glass.

Pale gold, very little visible carbonation, thin strand of foam around the edges. Generic beer look, barely any head, very fizzy.

Smells like corn and grain husks, and tastes like corn and grain husks with a shot of C02 adding a slight carbonic bite, otherwise watery and flaccid. Hint of sweetness, dominated by swilly grains. How drinkable is it, that's really the essential question. It's average and utterly mediocre though fairly drinkable after a walk in the 70ºs, then again, so is water.

Glad I only got a single for the novelty value and wasn't stuck buying a case. There are far better budget beers out there, and even for nostalgia's sake there isn't much substance here.

Note: Rhinelander is a separate beer marketing company from Minhas, they bought the name back from them in 2009. All Rhinelander beers are flagged to move here: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/27642

4.25/5  rDev +51.2%

2.41/5  rDev -14.2%

7 oz twist-top bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint.
5% ABV, 12 297 1[Missing half the number] on the neck.

A - The tiny $.49 bottle intrigued me. Believe it or not, I don't think I've ever partook from a "shorty". Pours a golden pale yellow in color with good clarity and a low, frothy white head. Low retention and little specks of lace.

S - Pale grainy malt and a burst of corn adjunct, Rhinelander Export has a dry straw and dry grass aroma with a faint drizzle of honey on the finish.

T - Pils malt, in low quantities, provides overarching sweetness that lasts throughout the brew but does little to mask the grainy pale malt and corn characteristics.

M - Highly carbonated, medium-light-bodied, and somewhat hard-finishing, it's not terrible here. Actually, it's somewhat drinkable.

O - Let's be honest with ourselves here, I got this for the bottle assuming that it's contents would be far from "Refreshing as Wisconsin's Northwoods". Swill at best, Rhinelander's Export is not quite something a Rhinelander native can be proud of in the craft industry, but locals would most definitely put it away repeatedly. Hey, us geeks are a brutal bunch.

2.73/5  rDev -2.8%

Appearance - Medium-light yellow. Clear. Short white, soapy head. Short-lived.

Smell - Reasonably noticeable for style. Slightly funky light pale malt. A little corn.

Taste - Light. Sweet malt with no noticeable hops. Features a cloying corn flavor.

Mouthfeel - Light and crisp.

Overall - This beer doesn't repay paying attention. It does come in a moderately cool shawty bottle.

2.83/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

3.25/5  rDev +15.7%

2.37/5  rDev -15.7%

3.25/5  rDev +15.7%

1.89/5  rDev -32.7%

Way too sweet. Also getting some diacetyl notes, no bueno

3.38/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reincarnated Rhinelander, saved from destruction from the beer gods yet again. I never drank the original Rhinelander, but enjoyed it by the case in the 70s at about a $4.69 retail, sold in returnable bottle cases.

2-7oz 'shorties' to fill my beer stein, an off-white head rose to about 1.5 fingers and lingered awhile, while the beer underneath poured to an appetizing golden color, similar to the color of apple juice. Slight smell of malt and corn combined; the taste of a very refreshing export lager, with a lingering sweetness. Just enough carbonation to provide a bit of bite.

Could this recipe be the same one that Minhas uses to brew Regal Brau? I've never had both side-by-side, but this version of Rhinelander seems remarkably similar.

Nice summer refresher at an affordable price.

2.25/5  rDev -19.9%

A little sweet, a little malty, no hop flavors to speak of. It's far from the worst adjunct lager I've had and was pleasant enough at an outdoor bar.

Export Beer from Rhinelander Brewing Company