Chocolate Bunny American Stout

Notes:
Reviews: 59 | Ratings: 198 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Ferretferret:
3.41/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

This was, uh, an adventure. I'll pre-face this by stating that this beer seems to promulgate a difference between the taste of quality, and enjoying the taste of something. It tasted like the cheapest of lagers mixed with a backwash of instant coffee and a very strong aftertaste of the bitterest of chocolates. Thankfully for it, I love instant coffee and dark chocolate, so, I reveled in the overall experience. Still, I wouldn't recommend it to most. I'm surprised Minhas is such a large brand.

2.97/5  rDev -4.8%

22 oz. bottle tried 18 Nov 2011. Courtesy of R&S. Thanks, I think. Served in the 0.5 L Adambrau becker.

Large brown head. Medium carbonation. Clear dark brown in color with reddish highlights. Aroma is sweet chocolate, roasty. Starts fairly sweet and chocolatey. Cocoa through the middle. Medium body, light ethanol. A slightly burnt/charred note lingers in the aftertaste. Kind of one dimensional, not much depth of flavor.

Try to think of this beer as the picture on the label depicts, one of those hollow plasticy chocolate bunnies you got at Easter as a kid, and you won't be disappointed. I preferred to start with eating the eyes so it would stop staring at me.

This beer is all over the place, just so many faults. The worst of these is the horrible, cloying aftertaste that resembles vinegar mixed with cigarette butts. Avoid at any price.

3.53/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Transcribed from notes dtd Su, 14 July 2013

I had problems with my wireless internet, really with my home land line which I use for wireless internet and so the day became old-school pen-and-ink time as I really did not want to try and write my review through my phone. Needless to say, when my carrier tells me that they only have a skeleton staff on weekends and the problem will be fixed by 1900 h. on Monday, they are getting 86'd!

This was a real surprise in a recent box from my local, in-person trader, tone77. I always enjoy the bottles that he drops off as I know that I would not buy them myself, but I will never turn away beer. Many thanks!

From the bottle: "Stout Brewed with Cocoa Powder"; "Dark and silky rich stout loaded with chocolate flavor. Is there chocolate in my beer or beer in my chocolate?"

I admit, I was a little worried going into it when I read "Brewed and Bottled by Phinelander Brewing Company LLC Monroe, WI 53566" on the label as that spells MINHAS! "Open mind, Woodbo, open mind," as SKC (SW) Warner used to always exhort me.

I got a finger of deep-tan head with good retention just after sundown. Color was a deep, dark-brown with light penetration only at the edges. Nose was VERY chocolaty with a whiff of anise. Mouthfeel was thin for the style. The taste was curious as I got both a dark chocolate smokiness and an anise tartness, but there was also a graininess, like it had been over-saturated with cocoa powder. Finish was semi-dry and in addition to the chocolate smokiness, I got some dried, dark fruit flavors. Not really my style or my bag, but it was a fun, amusing drink and if that trips your trigger, then have at it!

3.88/5  rDev +24.4%

(Served in a nonic)

A- The black dense body has a thick cocoa head that last a good bit and has a nice gentle carbonation.

S- A touch of roasted bitterness to a smooth coffee malt aroma and some earthy black malt character. There is a chemical cleaner aroma that comes through as the beer opens up that is a bit off putting.

T- The fruity ester and softer cocoa note are mellow with a nice dark roasted malt dry finish. There is a touch of tartness in the finish that offers a nice balance.

M- The medium mouthfeel has a cleaning fizz that scrubs the finish.

O- This beer has a nice dry stout character that is very sessionable with a bit of depth. Not much chocolate nib character or American hop flavor but it doesn't need it.

2.97/5  rDev -4.8%

One of the special draft offerings at Craft Beer Market in Calgary. No mention of the brewery on the menu...

This beer arrived a black liquid with a thin, tan colored head. Foam faded away quickly leaving no lace. Served very cold, so had to let it warm up a bit to coax more flavor out of it. The smell of the beer has the slightest aroma of coffee and chocolate, even as it warmed up the aromas did not get any better.
The taste of the beer was very average, left me wanting more. Some roasted malts but finished a bit acrid. No deep rich stout-like character. Smell, taste, body and mouthfeel were thin and watered down.
Very average when compared to Wild Rose Alberta Crude or St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout (both of which they had available at the same time).

3.75/5  rDev +20.2%

Black amber appearance with lots of bubbly brown head that slowly settles down leaving some lacing. Smell consists of chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, nuts, caramel and sweetness. Some good features so far.

Taste is a lighter version of the smell, chocolate, caramel, nuts, coffee and some dark fruit. Has a sour, bitter and smokey taste to it overall. Light bodied with moderate carbonation. Aftertaste is bitter and malty.

Overall, this is a refreshing beer with some complex features. I can’t believe this came from Minhas and doesn’t taste like metal or chemicals; Good step forward for the brewery. But anyways, this is a decent chocolate stout, worth a try.

2.65/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours mahogany with 4 fingers of mocha colored head. Stellar head retention & lacing

S: Dark fruit, black currant, carob & cola

T: Cocoa & prunes, slight roasty notes up front, along with charred grains. More charred grains as this warms, prunes, cocoa & woody hop notes. Finishes dry, messy, &pruney

MF: Medium bodied, firm carbonation that flattens out as this warms. Gets real thin

A disjointed stout, not worth buying

3.08/5  rDev -1.3%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours dark brown/black with a half inch tan head. Head retention and lacing are both decent enough. The aroma is light, the beer smells like roasted and grainy malt, bittersweet chocolate and some coffee. Smells more like grain than it smells like chocolate. The brew tastes like slightly tart dark fruit, roasted malt, cola and a bit of chocolate. For a beer called Chocolate Bunny, I thought there would be a lot more chocolate noticeable. With that being said, it's not a bad brew. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick and creamy with moderate carbonation. For $2.99 a bomber, I can't complain too much.

4.21/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A= Black, with a half inch, tawny head of tight bubbles that recedes in a minute or two.
S= Roasted barley/coffee aroma with a touch of chocolate.
T=A bit of chocolate accompanying roasted barley flavor. Sweetness detected at the front and the middle, suggesting crystal malt, with a dry finish.
M=The bottle says silky, and I would say they nailed it. Lightly coats the mouth and lips.

This is a very nice chocolate stout. My own preference would be to dial the sweetness back a notch to see if it enhances drinkability. As is, it works as pleasant dessert beer. It might pair better with savory foods with less residual sweetness. If this beer came out of my homebrewery, I would be pretty pleased, because it is a hair's width away from being dialed in.

3.62/5  rDev +16%

A - Pours nicely into a very deep brown body with a light and somewhat frothy head of only about an inch tops. The head is a medium to dark brown and displays moderate stamina.

S - Chocolaty with a hinting of roasted malt and coffee.

T - Roasted malts are prevalent with a subtle mesquite and smoke flavor towards the end. While it claims to be a chocolate stout I don't know if I'm buying what they're selling as far as that goes.

M - The feel of his beverage is far too light for my liking. I like thick stouts with very little carbonation. This one seems to be carbonated to the gills.

~ For a light bodied stout with a a strong roasty flavor this beer does come through. I think the reason for the lower ratings here may be in part to the category in which this beer fits has a some real superstars. While this is certainly no star, it does fill its role nicely. And at $2.99 for a bomber, why would you not give this beer a sampling.

3.05/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

purchased this from Half Time, enjoyed chilled in a goblet.

The color is black, clarity opaque with thick medium tan cap which collapses to a ring of tight beads. The lace sticks in strings to the glass. The smell is kind of vegetal and very roasty, but not exactly sweet with mild toasted bread aroma. The feel is not great a little too much roast/char and mild sweetness with a slightly slick feel with mild carbonation and semi-dry finish.

The flavor is not bad at first with some malt flavor which is roasted with a mild caramel sweetness in the background with some light vegetal tastes in the mid palate. The taste is not very chocolatey, but it is dry and herbal with some mild yeast accents which give a subtle fruitiness to the taste. Overall I guess this is not all bad, but it lacks what you are looking for most in a chocolate flavored stout which is chocolate taste- this doesn't have much stout in the flavor either really just roasted malt so I would definitely not buy this again.

4.41/5  rDev +41.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had as Boatswain Chocolate Stout. Comes out of the bottle a beautiful warm sable with a very thick and rather persistent tan head. Aroma has roast malt, chocolate and coffee notes with a hint of caramel. Smoky flavor builds on a roast malt core with coffee, semi-sweet chocolate and caramel plus a hint of horehound. Smooth, firm texture is quite fizzy and lively. Boatswain or bunny, it’s a good choice.

2.92/5  rDev -6.4%

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

3.2/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Chocolate Bunny American Stout from Rhinelander Brewing Company