Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) | Rhinelander Brewing Company

poor
Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)

Rhinelander Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
rhinelanderbrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by mactrail on 11-20-2011

2.77/5  rDev +4.1%

Great value for money. Easy drinking ale, but a poor representation of a DIPA.

3.92/5  rDev +47.4%

4.99 A six pack at Trader Joes. As this was a few dollars less than I'd expect to pay, let alone finding a double IPA in a six pack of cans, my expectations were not high. Poured amber orange with light carbonation, good head and very little lace. Smelled a little sweet, more on the pink grapefruit cocktail. There was also a note like JuJuBees candy. Bitter mouth, but not pucker bitter with a filling with foamy finish and lingering bitter.

So, how does this work? Lots of poor reviews and maybe it's not quite up to the style, but for the price. Raisin at the back with sweet fruit dominating. Alcohol muted and the JuJubee note wraps it up. A few years back I reviewed J.W. Dundee Pale Ale and thought for the price, it was a good buy. I guess this beer falls into the same category.

1.61/5  rDev -39.5%

This is my first review... I would like to encourage people to avoid this beer... It is a bad representation of IPAs.

Strong sweet and sour aroma. Very little hoppiness for an IPA, nevermind a double. Alcohol too prominent. Cheap purchase from Trader Joes. Little drinkability. Amber in color. Similar to a barley wine or Banana Bread Beer. Little body and Carbonation. Sour and Bitter Aftertaste… Would NOT purchase again.

2.5/5  rDev -6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.52/5  rDev -5.3%

1.28/5  rDev -51.9%

I have only one word for this "beer"..Terrible.

3.79/5  rDev +42.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.15/5  rDev +56%

I tried this beer with an open mind, granted, I did know it was cheap, but I decided to approach it with optimism.

It's better than any "Session" beer I've tried, and it's better than a few of the well reviewed watery "dry" bitter bombs I've tried also.

Look: looked OK, nothing remarkable. A little darker and thicker than say, Budweiser. Some head, about 1/2 inch poured in a pint glass without taking too much care to be gentle, but not a "hard" pour.

Smell: Nothing spectacular, no wonderful sublime hop aroma like Sculpin used to have, or a fresh Nelson Imperial, similar to a Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA.

Taste: Same as above - slightly sweet, nicely balanced malt "back bone" to the hop bitterness. Neither excessively bitter or too dry (thin wattery IPAs go down the drain).

Mouthfeel: Nice body to this beer, similar to 90 Minute IPA, not much "alcohol burn".

If I just wanted a substitute for water to go with my meal, I might have an ice cold Coors Light (I don't often), this beer is a little heavier and a little stronger than a Budweiser and doesn't have a particularly impressive hope aroma or flavor, but it's a decent DIPA and phenomenal for the price (84 cents a can?!?!!). I have skewed my review a little higher considering the value. I think I need to do a blind taste test with this one thrown in the mix to really do a fair comparison. I also think a lot of the other very low reviews are affected by a negative bias from the cheap price.

2.53/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I think this is a great beer! I've had thousands of beers. 1$ a can, 8.4% and its smooth. I know a typical ipa is intense, heavy, hoppy..but this is smooth and enjoyable. I brought it to a party and all the girls were hesitant, then fell in love because it wasn't overpowering and high alcohol content... My new favorite beer!

2.22/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

2.86/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This does not taste like a double IPA.

On the nose, this dark amber beer has some citrus and hops, but it's mostly banana and fruity esters. The taste is similar. I get a boozy 'wheat and spice' flavor, not unlike a fairly potent wit. On the front, there's a small hint of citrus and hops, but it fades incredibly quickly.

I enjoy the beer, but in no world does this smell or taste like a DIPA. As a wit, it's pretty decent. For its style, it's just... off.

3.72/5  rDev +39.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I'm a fan of TJ's strategy for making and selling beer. It expands the craft market... albeit at a lower common denominator.
So, I'm afraid I don't understand the low ratings on this one.
Boatswain Double IPA is an interesting take on a style that, IMHO, has been abused by hops.
While it doesn't Look above average, it certainly delivers a nice balanced Smell of sweet malts and hops.
Its Taste is consistent, a nice interplay of malts and bitter hops. I can taste more brewers sugar than a great beer.
Carbonation is low, which I like.
OA: this is not a Wow beer, but it is a good one. Balanced... much like the British culture.

1.24/5  rDev -53.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

2.77/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I was quite surprised. I expected a mediocre sub-Budweiser beer.

Poured a copper reddish color with a 2F head in Stone IPA glass.
Excellent aroma: fruit, especially esters.

The aroma transitions well to the taste. The esters and fruity taste continues, finished a by good hoppy bitterness.

Freshness may be key here. I couldn't decipher the bottle date, but it may have been fresh from Trader Joes. It's been in the fridge. Inexpensive.

2.29/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From a can, pours a clear gold with a frothy two-finger off-white head. Aromas are subtle of hops and, strangely, a metallic smell. Taste is mostly a bitter "bath-tub" hops with some sweet but watery malt. Carbonated but not worth $4.99 a six-pack.

3.25/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a clear gold with medium to low carbonation. Aroma is of hops and maybe some skunkiness or metallic stuff. Taste is much of the same. Deeply bitter but the hops seem more floral or herbal than typical american varieties used in the style. Not much malt to speak of and some booze is evident. Not as bad as I expected considering I don't think I've ever seen a 12 oz IPA sell anywhere for 75 cents like this can was. I'll probably sip my way through some of this but maybe not finish the entire thing.

2.97/5  rDev +11.7%

It's a beer. It's a very cheap and very high ABV beer, so if you want to get completely jacked, I recommend it. It is not hoppy, like at all. I usually put it in the freezer to dull the taste a bit. It does not taste great. It's like a Budweiser, but just really boozy. It does not taste like an IPA, so if you want a nice, hoppy flavor, just buy something else. But it's serviceable and it's cheap. So you know.

3.38/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.08/5  rDev +15.8%

1.14/5  rDev -57.1%

From Trader Joe's
Packaged in a snazzy looking can with a completely misleading statement that what lurks inside is a Double IPA
Don't be fooled. What poured forth into my Sam Smith's Perfect pint glass looked to be an almost flat, perfect representation of horse's urine, except horses can muster more foam.
The aroma is straight up spoiled malt liquor with a hint of moldy hay and old lemon peel. That alone almost caused a pre taste run to the sink, but I soldier on.
Taste is akin to chugging a Colt45 through a sink strainer at a vegetarian restaurant that specializes in fermented cabbage.
Useful for it's claimed alcohol content and not much else except maybe as a gag gift at a White Elephant party.
Twin screwed? Yep, once when buying and the second time trying to choke this disaster down.
Steamer? Yep, as in a huge steaming pile.

Avoid!

1.27/5  rDev -52.3%

Pathetic. Truly pathetic. Trader Joe's: stop selling this! It is not an IPA for one, there are no hops. The malt is completely dominant. It is sugary sweet and lacks depth of character. There is a significant boozy character, way too much for the style. The price was $5.99 for a six pack. Even at $1 a beer it is way over priced. Id say it should be no more than .25c and even then it should only be used for cooking chili or beer chicken; certainly not for drinking strait. I'm very disappointed in this beer. Shame on you Trader Joe's.

3.56/5  rDev +33.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) from Rhinelander Brewing Company