Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) | Rhinelander Brewing Company

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)
Liked This Beer

2.64/5
Alströms:

Reviews by brewerburgundy:

1.37/5  rDev -48.1%

This was very disappointing. I know it's a generic brand type of beer, being brewed for Trader Joe's, but I still expected much better than this. It tasted like a low quality old man sort of beer except concentrated. There was some bitterness, but nothing in the way of pleasant hop aroma or flavor. I really don't understand the purpose of putting a beer like this out on the market.

4.1/5  rDev +55.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Boatswain Double I.P.A.
22 oz. brown glass bottle, no apparent freshness dating
$2.49 @ Trader Joe's #766, Tampa, FL

Enjoyed at cellar temperature in an Imperial "nonic" pint glass. This is a beer that's contract-brewed for Trader Joe's, and I think we're all aware of that. I was really surprised by it given where the American craft beer industry stands right now. It has some flaws but I think it's basically just not understood (or I could be reading it completely wrong!). Read on...

Appearance: A clear deep-amber/copper body teems with life as hundreds of tiny bubbles steadily rise towards the surface. Its rocky off-white head holds remarkably well and leaves some decent lacing behind. If there's a fault to this beer that's probably it apart from the obvious alcohol (which should be better cloaked).

Aroma: Fruity and floral with a mineralish component that almost comes across as medicinal at first whiff, but then reveals itself to be more of a "Burton stench" as it rests. It may take a little getting used to as it's not that common anymore, but it's authentic, and taken in a historic context, quite charming.

Flavor: An edge of burnt sugar in combination with the mineral and sulphur character of the beer (and a bit of alcohol) lends a bit of raspiness to an otherwise basic medium-caramel maltiness that's threaded through with floral, grassy, and leafy English hops (Fuggles, for sure, and most likely Kent Godlings - or an American equivalent). The yeast acts almost as a layer of shellac overtop, coating it with fruity flavors of soft pear, apple, and some orange marmalade. It's sweetish on one side, but quite dry on the other due to its solid bitterness, mineral content, and yeasty sulphur. It's not a complex beer in that all of its cards are laid right out on the table, but neither is it a beer that shows 'one' flavor or side.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a dextrinous edge (perhaps medium-full), and velvety smooth across the palate with a fine-bubbled, seemingly natural carbonation (although I know it's not).

Overall: It's a double IPA to be sure, with a solid 8.4% abv, a slap of alcohol, and a solid bitterness, but I find it quite curious because I've only ever sampled American double IPAs - and despite the fact that this is brewed in the USA, it's clearly "English" in nature. Are there, in fact, any "double" or "Imperial" IPAs brewed in England? But that leaves us with one argument: is the aroma hoppy enough to be labeled an "Imperial" or "double" IPA? In this case I think the question is moot. It's unique, and entertaining in that alone, but whether you like (or are even familiar with traditional English ales) certainly makes a difference. For the incredibly low price it's offered at I'd suggest that it's a must try.

4.47/5  rDev +69.3%

Looking at the other reviews here, I'm a little puzzled. This is a very good beer for it's type. Not all I.P.A's have the hoppy, citrus character predominant in bombers such as Hop Czar etc there is quite a range of hop flavors... I was pleasantly surprised that this was more mellow for a double IPA, and the buttery, delicatley peachy fruity esthers are as desireable as banana is in beers the direction of barleywine.

Perhaps this beer is in conflict with it's name... those negative reviews might have been expecting a mighty Hop Czar in this one labeled "Twin Screw Steamer". But this beer is full of flavor, like a Scotch ale.... A little thin bodied, and not highly carbonated, but very smooth and almost creamy, with lightly bitter, but not the strong 'hoppy' overtones.... Leans toward a Belgian Tripel. beautiful, clear, orange-gold color. I liked it and found it refreshing change from the stouts and porters which are my favorites.

3.63/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Twin Screw Steamer opens to a surprisingly malty nose, for a double IPA, for while there is a good bit of hop aroma in here, with grapefruit rind, as well as lighter touches of pine resin, lemon, and a faint bit of dandelion stem, the malts are perhaps stronger, bringing toast crust, biscuit, Grape Nuts cereal, wet wheat, hay, grass, and a bit of toasted nut. Bits of orange, berry, and apricot fruit esters, as well as brown sugar, add further complexity. The aromas as a whole are, in addition, fairly light, regardless of hop-malt balance, and fast-fading, difficult to detect in an open bottle after a minute or two, and what’s left is mainly hay, with bits of sugar.

On the tongue, the beer proves far more flavorful than the nose let on, the initial flavors being a nice sugary, hoppy blend that brings pink grapefruit, grapefruit rind, and lesser touches of pine resin, dandelion stem, and lemon from the hops, and a nice assortment of fruit esters, including orange, berry, cherry, apricot, and even touches of melon. A large swath of brown sugar adds further sweetness, and the grains add a nice backing layer of toast crust, biscuit, and Grape Nuts cereal. In subsequent sips the sugars aren’t quite as sweet, and a more bitter, piney hop note creeps in, as well as a more earthy, hay-like, grassy malt touch. The aftertaste is more of these latter notes, with even more of a pine resin hop overtone, and lingers on the tongue for a good while. Mouthfeel is medium-light to medium, and carbonation is medium to medium-high, fizzing up on the tongue.

Overall, this is a decent double IPA, though the weak nose is a strange beginning to what is otherwise a fairly flavorful beer. The flavors are good, and present in decent strength, but lack nuance, especially in the hops, which could use a few extra dimensions to bring a more full and round profile. Having said that, for roughly $2.50 a bomber at Trader Joe’s, you’re not going to get a much better flavor for the price, and the 8.4% ABV is also surprisingly high. Excellent bargain.

3.72/5  rDev +40.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

One word to keep in mind with this beer - Value. Not a great double IPA by any means and actually more in the scotch/english ale style. It lacks proper hops to be considered a decent IPA and is balanced on the malt end of the spectrum. Nice golden bronze color with a good head. Smell is a bit pungent. A tad harsh on the palate; you almost want to chew on the malt however it is very drinkable. With that said you can't go wrong for the price. I give this beer a 3.75 based on it's value. It wouldn't rate as high compared to Lagunitas or Stone but that's OK. There is room on the entry level for a value DIPA.

1.02/5  rDev -61.4%

From Trader Joe's
Packaged in a snazzy looking can with a completely misleading statement that what lurks inside is a Double IPA
Don't be fooled. What poured forth into my Sam Smith's Perfect pint glass looked to be an almost flat, perfect representation of horse's urine, except horses can muster more foam.
The aroma is straight up spoiled malt liquor with a hint of moldy hay and old lemon peel. That alone almost caused a pre taste run to the sink, but I soldier on.
Taste is akin to chugging a Colt45 through a sink strainer at a vegetarian restaurant that specializes in fermented cabbage.
Useful for it's claimed alcohol content and not much else except maybe as a gag gift at a White Elephant party.
Twin screwed? Yep, once when buying and the second time trying to choke this disaster down.
Steamer? Yep, as in a huge steaming pile.

Avoid!

3.39/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Nose reminds me of Mad Elf; taste is similar with out half the sweetness. Feel is crisp with stars dark IPA aftertaste. Not bad @ $2.29 for a 650ml. Will probably buy again.

3.4/5  rDev +28.8%

I don't quite understand the hate behind this beer. For $2.29 at the local Trader Joe's and at 8.4% ABV with a decent taste, it is pretty good value.

The taste isn't very hoppy or scream 'IPA' let alone 'double IPA', but it isn't bad tasting. I had low standards for this beer considering it's price though.

Mouthfeel is average. Pretty alcoholic tasting, not in a good way, but it does have flavor there. It's much heartier than your average highly consumed beer which is good.

Appearance is average. Little to no head which is a disappointment. Cloudy orange.

Overall, this beer *isn't* great, but I don't think it's deserving of an extremely low rating. It has a slightly above average taste, and I would buy it again if I was in the mood. Great beer to take the edge off if you want to avoid the big brands just for only $2.29.

2.05/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

I don't know I guess I had to see what a $2.98 IPA taste like. I knew it would be to good to be true but I am in Seattle..curiosity killed the cat for sure. A Natty Light drinker might be impressed! Great for trick or treat or a spoof on your best friend.

3.1/5  rDev +17.4%

1 pint 6 fl oz (650 ml) brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a N'Ice Chouffe beer flute in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high. Acquired at a Trader Joe's in Los Angeles.

A: Pours a one finger head of slight cream, decent thickness, and good retention (especially for the 8.4% ABV). Colour is not a "deep amber" as per the label, but rather a transparent textbook copper. She looks pretty good, and about right for the style as well.

Sm: Caramel and candied sugar, actually. I was expecting a blanket of hops, but they're rather faint. There might be a cherry ester somewhere in there, but it's hard to tell. A mild to moderate strength aroma, and a pleasant one at that.

T: Where are the hops? Candied sugar is quite apparent, particularly in the second half and throughout the body. I don't get much hop bitterness, and what little there is is covered up by the well-placed caramelized malt on the finish. It's nicely balanced, but strange for the style with its relative lack of hops. I drank this the day after purchasing it, so I'm not concerned about hop death. It's rather simply built - to its detriment. There's not a whole lot going on here, but I do appreciate the balance. No alcohol comes through.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but also a bit coarse from the candied sugar on the finish. Too thick for the lack of flavours.

Dr: A drinkable beer but a boring one, this so called double IPA will disappoint hopheads. That said, it remains a pleasant brew that's probably best suited to a spring night. I wouldn't buy it again, and I doubt I'd even want to try it on draught.

I doubt it would pair well with food. Not recommended for aging.

2.98/5  rDev +12.9%

The Minhas stab at this style ends with much less emphasis on hop character and more nondescript malt influence than expected when reaching for the style.

The beer pours with a dense and hazy rust color, capped by a dense sand stained head that retains well and laces reasonably.

Off balanced aromas highly favor caramel, nuts, and grain with a mild rebuttal from hops. Leaves, twigs, and wood-like elements blend into grains and give rise to the fruity sweetness from esters.

Flavors favor similarly and caramel sweetness, part malt, part grain, and bread crust provide the base taste while pulling in esters of bruised fruit: apples, pears, peaches, and apricots deliver an English-like taste. Even the broad earthy bitterness of wet woods and damp earth sing a British tone.

Rich grainy-sweet textures also reside in mouthfeel as the residual sweetness sits heavy on the tongue. Mild carbonation does little to lift the sweetness or provide the creamy-dryness that the style demands. Finishing with extended sweetness, grain and hop astringency, the beer's clean bitterness is interrupted, thus compromising its pleasant finish.

All in all, this is a beer without identity. It bridges gaps of large English IPAs, strong ales, old ales, and lighter barleywines. Instead of satisfying a varying palate, it confuses and dispels the tastebuds.

3.59/5  rDev +36%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an orange looking color with a creamy head and lace. Not a bad looking brew. In the aroma there is a faint hint of orange peel, lots of toasted bread, some alcohol and a strong bubblegum aroma. The aroma actually reminds me more of a Belgian than an IPA. The taste is malt forward, citrusy and with a modest hops bittering and piny feel. Medium bodied and creamy. Overall, this doesn't really feel like an IPA, thus it loses points if you rate it according to style. Still, it is tasty and not as bad as compared to other ratings here.

3.37/5  rDev +27.7%

Bought this beer at Trader Joe's for $2.29. I was with my girl and my baby strapped to my chest. I'm in college finishing up my bachelor's degree and thus I am broke. When I saw this beer for $2.29, I literally debated buying it since I debate on whether I should buy beer since were on a budget, but my girl was like "go for it!" I think its because she likes seeing me drunk. Any how... I bought it, hence this review. I'll be honest I don't know much about beer and I am excited to learn, for the price, this beer rocks, definitely beats any other beer that sells at this price.

I was quite surprised. I expected a mediocre sub-Budweiser beer.

Poured a copper reddish color with a 2F head in Stone IPA glass.
Excellent aroma: fruit, especially esters.

The aroma transitions well to the taste. The esters and fruity taste continues, finished a by good hoppy bitterness.

Freshness may be key here. I couldn't decipher the bottle date, but it may have been fresh from Trader Joes. It's been in the fridge. Inexpensive.

3.92/5  rDev +48.5%

4.99 A six pack at Trader Joes. As this was a few dollars less than I'd expect to pay, let alone finding a double IPA in a six pack of cans, my expectations were not high. Poured amber orange with light carbonation, good head and very little lace. Smelled a little sweet, more on the pink grapefruit cocktail. There was also a note like JuJuBees candy. Bitter mouth, but not pucker bitter with a filling with foamy finish and lingering bitter.

So, how does this work? Lots of poor reviews and maybe it's not quite up to the style, but for the price. Raisin at the back with sweet fruit dominating. Alcohol muted and the JuJubee note wraps it up. A few years back I reviewed J.W. Dundee Pale Ale and thought for the price, it was a good buy. I guess this beer falls into the same category.

1.91/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Idiotic 22oz bottle, from the TJ's bargain section. Poured into 10oz goblet. Poured a cloudy orange-amber color with just a thin cap of white head that very low (almost none) retention and decent lacing.

Oh, the humanity! The aroma was just off and wrong. An odd scent, almost like WD-40, hit the nose first, and dominated. There was a very mild malt scent, and some underlying hops. Sadly, those hops were of the onion variety. On the tongue, the beer had the same combination of chemical and onion, just not quite as strong.

The body was fairly typical for the style, perhaps just a bit on the thin side. Drinkability was pretty bad, I made it through about 16oz, and the rest was a sidewalk pour (I respect my drain too much). Overall, pretty damn bad, avoid.

2.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Wife picked this up at TJ’s for about $2 a bomber. Uh-oh. Well at least she brought me something back, eh? Popped the top and this thing right off the bat was smelling like a Budweiser straight from the bottle . Double oh-no’s!

Pours a dark amber colored ale with a big time cream colored head. Impressed with the lacing and staying power…..which disappears soon after I wrote that. Hmmmm.

The aroma is definitely improved since the pour into a glass. Big malts up front, toast, orange, biscuit and a touch of dankness.

The taste is very much on the sweet side. This is a different style of DIPA going on here. Not sure the type of hops used, but the sweetness continues to overpower and even moreso on the aftertaste. Fruity and lightly hoppy is the mix and not much else. Each sip I try to figure out what’s going on here…but finally give up.

Mouthfeel is decent but the sweetness detracts.

Overall this just wasn’t for me. If you like a sweeter DIPA then the price point is spot on for an 8.4% monster….me….I prefer a hop bomb-ruin the palate-type of DIPA. I’ll still keep my beautiful wife, but this “twin screw steamer” screwed me. I’ll be giving my paperboy his $2….cuz he wants his $2.

1.97/5  rDev -25.4%

A: A medium copper with excellent clarity. The persistent head is light tan head with a good head stand.

S: Too estery with moderate smells like bananas but diminishes somewhat as it sits. There is a slight medicinal character, band-aid like. You've got to dig deep to find the hops there even buried under the flowery alcohol aroma which is the only pleasant smell to be found.

T: More fruit flavors with a moderate bitterness and a soapy flavor combining to be pretty harsh. Very little hops flavor with a moderately-strong caramel malt flavor. The balance is slight bitter with harsh edge. The aftertaste is of bitterness and caramel. The finish is medium, edging toward the sweet.

M: Medium bodied with a moderate carbonation. S low astringency and slickness on the palate.

O: I couldn't choke this one down as the first beer of the night do to the soap flavor mixed with the bitterness. Even if this beer died of old age a couple of years back, which would explain the lack of hops aroma and flavor, It was still a flawed beer. I hate to slam a beer but if this was a home brew I'd suggest a number of potential sources of error including; check sanitation, watch the fermentation temperature, use a high alpha acid hops, use food grade rubber hoses, rinse sanitizing solution thoroughly and of course pitch a healthy active starter. It's not infected just off.

2.22/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

I bought this DIPA as well as their IPA while picking up some things at Trader Joe's. I didn't much like the IPA, yet for some reason held out some hopes for the DIPA. These hopes were quickly dashed, however. I think this was worse than the IPA.

In a tulip glass the beer was a hazy amber color with a minimal head and no lace.

Not much aroma; very faint citrus and very faint sweet malt. Not much there.

The taste was even more of a letdown. Nothing that resembles an IPA, much less a DIPA. A smidge of lemon and grapefruit, that's about all.

Kind of like drinking some flavored water. Where are the hops?

Never again.

3.14/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Bomber bottle purchased at my local Trader Joe's (god I love shopping at that place...)
for the stupid cheap price of $2.99....I know I know, you get what you pay for...

Pours clear typical almond amber. Off white head stays at the thicker film stage and leaves some fine bands and fields of sheetage.

Nose is on the sweet side..hmm thats not a good sign..

On the tongue and palate the nose carries through with more...sweet...this is the sweet side of DIPA land, with just some dry notes in the finish. I do get some woody smoke, and some sticky caramel character. But this is kinda boozy, kinda sweet and not really what most are looking for in this style. ....I know I know, you get what you pay for...

2.5/5  rDev -5.3%

2.48/5  rDev -6.1%

Copper colored, poured with small head that dissipated quickly. Little to no lacing. Overall impression of the flavor, with my limited palate, is that it reminds me of an Imperial Oktoberfest. It tastes simultaneously English (the malts), German (the malt and hops) and a little Belgian (the hops and a spicy astringency that reminds me of Belgian yeast).

I don't really get it. This is nothing like an Imperial IPA. Like I said before, it tastes like a Sam Adams Oktoberfest, but with bumped up ABV. Same malt flavor and hop flavor. Even the light, crisp body and near total lack of residual sweetness remind me of such. The only thing that doesn't is the unclean yeast profile.

This is a weird beer, definitely shouldn't be labeled an IIPA. Labels aside, it isn't a very good beer on its own merits. Even for $2 I wouldn't pick this up again. This is unfortunate, since the Boatswain Chocolate Stout is actually pretty damn good, and more than worth the $2.

2.75/5  rDev +4.2%