Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) | Rhinelander Brewing Company

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)
2.64/5
Poor

Rhinelander Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
rhinelanderbrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by mactrail on 11-20-2011

I think this is a great beer! I've had thousands of beers. 1$ a can, 8.4% and its smooth. I know a typical ipa is intense, heavy, hoppy..but this is smooth and enjoyable. I brought it to a party and all the girls were hesitant, then fell in love because it wasn't overpowering and high alcohol content... My new favorite beer!

4.47/5  rDev +69.3%

Looking at the other reviews here, I'm a little puzzled. This is a very good beer for it's type. Not all I.P.A's have the hoppy, citrus character predominant in bombers such as Hop Czar etc there is quite a range of hop flavors... I was pleasantly surprised that this was more mellow for a double IPA, and the buttery, delicatley peachy fruity esthers are as desireable as banana is in beers the direction of barleywine.

Perhaps this beer is in conflict with it's name... those negative reviews might have been expecting a mighty Hop Czar in this one labeled "Twin Screw Steamer". But this beer is full of flavor, like a Scotch ale.... A little thin bodied, and not highly carbonated, but very smooth and almost creamy, with lightly bitter, but not the strong 'hoppy' overtones.... Leans toward a Belgian Tripel. beautiful, clear, orange-gold color. I liked it and found it refreshing change from the stouts and porters which are my favorites.

4.25/5  rDev +61%

4.25/5  rDev +61%

4.17/5  rDev +58%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A little to sweet and not enough hops, but definetly a good value. You get what you pay for.

4.15/5  rDev +57.2%

I tried this beer with an open mind, granted, I did know it was cheap, but I decided to approach it with optimism.

It's better than any "Session" beer I've tried, and it's better than a few of the well reviewed watery "dry" bitter bombs I've tried also.

Look: looked OK, nothing remarkable. A little darker and thicker than say, Budweiser. Some head, about 1/2 inch poured in a pint glass without taking too much care to be gentle, but not a "hard" pour.

Smell: Nothing spectacular, no wonderful sublime hop aroma like Sculpin used to have, or a fresh Nelson Imperial, similar to a Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA.

Taste: Same as above - slightly sweet, nicely balanced malt "back bone" to the hop bitterness. Neither excessively bitter or too dry (thin wattery IPAs go down the drain).

Mouthfeel: Nice body to this beer, similar to 90 Minute IPA, not much "alcohol burn".

If I just wanted a substitute for water to go with my meal, I might have an ice cold Coors Light (I don't often), this beer is a little heavier and a little stronger than a Budweiser and doesn't have a particularly impressive hope aroma or flavor, but it's a decent DIPA and phenomenal for the price (84 cents a can?!?!!). I have skewed my review a little higher considering the value. I think I need to do a blind taste test with this one thrown in the mix to really do a fair comparison. I also think a lot of the other very low reviews are affected by a negative bias from the cheap price.

4.1/5  rDev +55.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Boatswain Double I.P.A.
22 oz. brown glass bottle, no apparent freshness dating
$2.49 @ Trader Joe's #766, Tampa, FL

Enjoyed at cellar temperature in an Imperial "nonic" pint glass. This is a beer that's contract-brewed for Trader Joe's, and I think we're all aware of that. I was really surprised by it given where the American craft beer industry stands right now. It has some flaws but I think it's basically just not understood (or I could be reading it completely wrong!). Read on...

Appearance: A clear deep-amber/copper body teems with life as hundreds of tiny bubbles steadily rise towards the surface. Its rocky off-white head holds remarkably well and leaves some decent lacing behind. If there's a fault to this beer that's probably it apart from the obvious alcohol (which should be better cloaked).

Aroma: Fruity and floral with a mineralish component that almost comes across as medicinal at first whiff, but then reveals itself to be more of a "Burton stench" as it rests. It may take a little getting used to as it's not that common anymore, but it's authentic, and taken in a historic context, quite charming.

Flavor: An edge of burnt sugar in combination with the mineral and sulphur character of the beer (and a bit of alcohol) lends a bit of raspiness to an otherwise basic medium-caramel maltiness that's threaded through with floral, grassy, and leafy English hops (Fuggles, for sure, and most likely Kent Godlings - or an American equivalent). The yeast acts almost as a layer of shellac overtop, coating it with fruity flavors of soft pear, apple, and some orange marmalade. It's sweetish on one side, but quite dry on the other due to its solid bitterness, mineral content, and yeasty sulphur. It's not a complex beer in that all of its cards are laid right out on the table, but neither is it a beer that shows 'one' flavor or side.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a dextrinous edge (perhaps medium-full), and velvety smooth across the palate with a fine-bubbled, seemingly natural carbonation (although I know it's not).

Overall: It's a double IPA to be sure, with a solid 8.4% abv, a slap of alcohol, and a solid bitterness, but I find it quite curious because I've only ever sampled American double IPAs - and despite the fact that this is brewed in the USA, it's clearly "English" in nature. Are there, in fact, any "double" or "Imperial" IPAs brewed in England? But that leaves us with one argument: is the aroma hoppy enough to be labeled an "Imperial" or "double" IPA? In this case I think the question is moot. It's unique, and entertaining in that alone, but whether you like (or are even familiar with traditional English ales) certainly makes a difference. For the incredibly low price it's offered at I'd suggest that it's a must try.

I was quite surprised. I expected a mediocre sub-Budweiser beer.

Poured a copper reddish color with a 2F head in Stone IPA glass.
Excellent aroma: fruit, especially esters.

The aroma transitions well to the taste. The esters and fruity taste continues, finished a by good hoppy bitterness.

Freshness may be key here. I couldn't decipher the bottle date, but it may have been fresh from Trader Joes. It's been in the fridge. Inexpensive.

3.92/5  rDev +48.5%

4.99 A six pack at Trader Joes. As this was a few dollars less than I'd expect to pay, let alone finding a double IPA in a six pack of cans, my expectations were not high. Poured amber orange with light carbonation, good head and very little lace. Smelled a little sweet, more on the pink grapefruit cocktail. There was also a note like JuJuBees candy. Bitter mouth, but not pucker bitter with a filling with foamy finish and lingering bitter.

So, how does this work? Lots of poor reviews and maybe it's not quite up to the style, but for the price. Raisin at the back with sweet fruit dominating. Alcohol muted and the JuJubee note wraps it up. A few years back I reviewed J.W. Dundee Pale Ale and thought for the price, it was a good buy. I guess this beer falls into the same category.

3.83/5  rDev +45.1%

3.79/5  rDev +43.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.76/5  rDev +42.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Slightly cloudy; amber/orange; huge frothy head, long lasting

Aroma: Weak malt; faint bread

Taste: Sweet, juicy malt on start; warming alcohol with good nuttiness in mid; finishes sweet with hoppy bitterness lingering; pretty crisp and refreshing

Remarks: Surprisingly tasty for a low-cost beer

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores