Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) | Rhinelander Brewing Company

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)

Rhinelander Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by chinchill on 12-16-2012

Reviews: 63 | Ratings: 242

22 oz. growler for $1.99 from Trader Joe's ... What can you expect?

One of the most disgusting beverages I've ever tasted.

Half a glass and I wanted to carve my tongue out with a rusty paring knife and run screaming out of the room.

Cheap chemical smell. Unbalanced, sticky and sickly-sweet taste. Lingering aftertaste that destroys your palate. Don't even THINK of pairing this with good food. Or any food, for that matter.

Awful on every level.

1.12/5  rDev -57.4%

Appearance: Pours a clear orange/caramel brown…tons of bubble action going on…some off white head formed and hung around...looks watery and average…(3/5)

Smell: Bitter! Smells like a cheap beer, think a skunky Old Milwaukee…grains and bitter hops…(1/5)

Taste: Bitter! There’s grains, bitter hops, sweet/pale malts and cardboard…it’s overly bitter, disgustingly bitter…the bitterness overpowers everything happening here and has the classic skunky, frat party cheap beer taste…GROSS! (0/5)

Mouthfeel: Light body, medium carbonation…fluffs disgusting bitterness all over my palate…bitter after taste…(.5/5)

Overall: This may be the single grossest beer I’ve ever had…there is an outrageous bitterness that isn’t tasty nor does it leave room for any other flavors…I can’t believe people actually bottle this and I’m more surprised people buy this…DO NOT PURCHASE this beer, save your money…I suspect burning two one dollar bills with a lighter would bring more satisfaction…seriously, this is disgusting and something I would be ashamed of…(0/5)

1.14/5  rDev -56.7%

Appearance- It looks like beer.

Smell- Skunky booze and sweet malt.

Taste- I almost did a spit take. It tasted like malt liquor that was left out in the sun for 3 days then re-capped and put on the shelf.

Mouthfeel- Overly carbonated and thin.

Overall- One of the most undrinkable pieces of garbage I've ever poured into my mouth. Avoid at all costs. If you only have 2$ buy PBR or something.

1.32/5  rDev -49.8%

This beer is god awful for what it is. Having just a few sips, my mouth has this burn and taste that won't go away.

It pours ok. Opened it and it reeked of a cheap alcohol. I can usually pinpoint flavors and spices, this tastes like it was over sweetened to mask the taste of everything horrible. I can not pinpoint anything I like about the flavor of this beer.

Overall. Do not buy. Stay away. Far far away.

1.33/5  rDev -49.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

My goodness, this was awful. As in, can't finish the 10 ounces I poured out of the 22 oz bottle. Most horrid beer I've tasted since Rogue's Voodoo Donut beer, although at least that one was slightly interesting. Anyway...

A: Color was nice, darkish copper. No lacing at all

S: No hop aroma at all. Not much of any aroma

T: Tastes like cheap Champagne filtered through dirty socks, and aged on cardboard.

M: Highly carbonated, again, like champagne. There must be a ton of some adjunct to bump up the alcohol because I don't feel malt backing at all

O: It's really hard to say a single positive thing about this beer. This is now only the 3rd beer I've ever been given that I couldn't drink more than a few sips of. The first was some horrible Chile beer from Arizona, 2nd was the Rogue Voodoo Donut beer (although I at least appreciated what they did with that, and now this.

I've had some other TJ's contract-brewed beers like this, and while not world class examples of their style, they are mostly pretty good. This one is just terrible. Believe the reviews, it really is that bad.

1.37/5  rDev -47.9%

This was very disappointing. I know it's a generic brand type of beer, being brewed for Trader Joe's, but I still expected much better than this. It tasted like a low quality old man sort of beer except concentrated. There was some bitterness, but nothing in the way of pleasant hop aroma or flavor. I really don't understand the purpose of putting a beer like this out on the market.

1.52/5  rDev -42.2%

Full disclosure: I actually went to the trouble of creating an account so I could review this beer. That's how motivated I am to communicate my feelings on the subject of this beer.

I picked this up at Trader Joes for $2 in a 22oz. A good deal for a DIPA, I thought. This is not so.

Look and Feel:
Poured into a 12oz pint glass with a decent looking head. This beer was quite carbonated, so the bubbles appeared rather large. It is deep golden brown in color. Minimal lacing.

The aroma is more comprised of C02, yeast, and malt components rather than hops, which is very disappointing for something with IPA on the label.

It tastes like a lager that got turned into a double IPA. What I mean is that the malt is not very complex, it's just a little sweet and very boozy, and the hops are not particularly aromatic or pungent - I wouldn't be surprised if this was an IPA made of all Hallertauer hops or something. The malt is a bit one dimensional, transforming from bubbly bitter to cloyingly sweet after the small hop flavor fades from memory.

Do not pay money or spend time drinking this beer. We like the DIPA because of an explosion of flavor between a sweet/savory/smokey malt and some kick-in-the-pants bitter pungent hops combined with the aroma of a pine tree or citrus fruit on top. This beer has none of these characteristics. If someone handed me a glass and asked me to classify it, I would say this falls in a new category I have invented just for this beer: "American Strong Lager" - high ABV, little hops, simplistic malt, cloyingly sweet aftertaste.

1.56/5  rDev -40.7%

Bought at TJ's in a bomber, and thought the reviews were overly harsh... before I drank it.

Poured into a pint glass, took two sips, and dumped it. I'm not the biggest beer snob, but this stuff was undrinkable for me. Probably the worst beer I've ever had!

1.58/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Poured from a 22 oz bomber purchased at Trader Joe's for $2.99 or something.

Has a very nice honey amber color, with strong carbonation resulting in a fluffy off-white head that evaporated quickly with almost no lacing.

The smell is really off, not smelling like hops or malt. Smells more like cheap beer that has sat out overnight after a frat party. Not inviting at all.

The taste is the least balanced of any "craft" beer that I have ever had. Very sweet up front, followed almost immediately by a bitterness with no complexity. No citrus, no floral, just extreme, lingering bitterness.

Yes, I can feel it in my mouth. Kind of wishing at this point that I wasn't.

Overall, this is one of the worst non-mass-market beers that I've ever had. I actually poured most of the bottle down the drain, which for me is like sacrilege.

1.62/5  rDev -38.4%

A - Amber/ brown. Small head which quickly disappeared. No lacing.
S - Sweet in a malty dextrose way, which makes me nervous. Maraschino cherries. Soap. Cough syrup.
T - Begins creamy, building expectations for something good, but rapidly devolves into oppressive soap and coppery metal flavors. Intense nuttyness too like a weird amaretto.
M - That bitter metallic twang just goes on and on. Serious sensation of pennies on the tongue.
O - This is a kissing cousin of the Malt Liquor clan. It's cheap, yes, and it goes down like a mouthful of the loose change you used to buy it. Avoid.

1.63/5  rDev -38%

$1.99 from Trader Joes.
Smells of light sweet bread and lemons.
Tastes sweet with very light bitterness. No pronounced hops,sweetness dominates. This beer is a sad rendition of a double IPA. Cheap hop schedule and poor attenuation are the main culprits here. Strong alcohol bite. Not recommended as a D/IIPA.

1.75/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Bought for, you guessed it, 2.29 at Trader Joe's along with the Chocolate Stout because I thought 2.29 was a steal until I found out it was contract brewed by Minhas. The stout was a disappointment, lets find out what's in the DIPA bomber.

Aggressive pour yields a few fingers of fizzy head with decent retention. Settles pretty slowly, some lacing but not much. Ale is orange with some sediment at the bottom. Not bad looking at all, although the sediment...

Smell is fruity: tangerine. with bread, malty booze as well.

Taste is booze and grapefruit, not much else. Bitter. Oh, why why why did I buy this? Look, I like trying anything and everything and sometimes I get burned. This is one of those times I'm burned. Halfway through a glass and I'm feeling the booze.

I don't know what the hell this supposed to be, but it ain't a DIPA.

edit: by the time you get halfway through, the booze overwhelms the taste buds. I now recommend this for anyone who wants to get drunk on the cheap.

1.82/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

From a bottle: nice amber appearance. Not much on the nose. Absolutely no citrus or pine characteristic to the hops. Mostly phenol and alcohol flavor. Bad bottle? Although a double IPA should keep well. I would avoid this one.

1.85/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.5

I am a long time lurker on this site, but I felt I needed to make an account just so I could review this beer. I really enjoy IPAs, APAs and sometimes double IPAs. This beer is labelled as a double IPA, but there are barely any detectable hops in the smell or taste. There isn't even a malty flavor (which is the case in their single IPA, but that's another can of worms) Alcohol is the predominant flavor here with the aftertaste being... well, alcohol. If someone hasn't ever tried a double IPA (or an IPA for that matter) and tries this, they could be turned off for good, and that isn't fair to all the wonderful people making truly fantastic beers out there. I wouldn't recommend this double IPA to anyone at any price. Oh I did give the beer a high rating in looks, because it looks pretty.

1.91/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Idiotic 22oz bottle, from the TJ's bargain section. Poured into 10oz goblet. Poured a cloudy orange-amber color with just a thin cap of white head that very low (almost none) retention and decent lacing.

Oh, the humanity! The aroma was just off and wrong. An odd scent, almost like WD-40, hit the nose first, and dominated. There was a very mild malt scent, and some underlying hops. Sadly, those hops were of the onion variety. On the tongue, the beer had the same combination of chemical and onion, just not quite as strong.

The body was fairly typical for the style, perhaps just a bit on the thin side. Drinkability was pretty bad, I made it through about 16oz, and the rest was a sidewalk pour (I respect my drain too much). Overall, pretty damn bad, avoid.

This is not remotely close to what a double IPA should be. There is no noticeable hop flavor or aroma. It's certainly strong enough, even closing in on fusel-ly. It's also bitter enough for the strength but would be better described as an old ale or barleywine.

Bought at Trader Joe's, no clue how long it's been on the shelf.

2.01/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

What rating does Olde English 800 get?
'cause that's what I rate this.

Someone told this brewery that IPAs were selling well, and it's like they shrugged their shoulders and said, "If you say so..."

I don't find it horribly offensive as several reviewers do; it's just that I find no merit.

Appearance: this beer's strong point. Nice clear raw honey with a firm enough head that degrades into a thin film and very light lacing.

Smell: old beer and alcohol. I'm going to stick with the same smell as Olde English 800.

Taste: old beer and alcohol. Minimal hops flavor compared to my favorite hops-bombs. Slightly more hops flavor than Coors.

Mouthfeel: I don't know how to rate mouthfeel.

Overall: it'll get you drunk, son. That's about all it's got to recommend for itself.

2.04/5  rDev -22.4%

Appearance- Light brown with a lot of carbonation. Little to no head retention.

Smell- Not a lot of excitement on the smell. Smells sort of like a bud light with a slight hint of hops.

Taste- A little but of hoppiness but not noticeably citrus or floral, just bitter. Maltiness is more noticeable than the hoppiness.

Mouthfeel- Oily and slick. Alcohol is noticeable.

Overall- Definitely the least expensive double IPA I've ever bought but I wouldn't really call it a double IPA. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend this for human consumption.

2.06/5  rDev -21.7%

22 oz. bomber from Trader Joes poured into a 16 oz. Ballast Point tulip glass.

A: Clear Reddish/Copper color with fine carbonation bubbles.

S: All sweet Malt ZERO Hops smell is that of an American Amber/Red Ale.

T: Sweet carmel Malt tastes similar to a British IPA defiantly no American DIPA qualities here to be found. It almost tastes like is should be rebranded as an Imperial Amber/Red Ale.

M: Medium body, carbonation is okay, ABV seems to be reasonably well balanced and does not run too hot, smooth and slightly creamy.

O: This beer does not fit the style at all the Hops are non existant despite what the label says you get no bitterness and are left with a cloyingly sweet Malt dominated beer. This beer was a gift and I would not drink again nor do I recommend it.

2.11/5  rDev -19.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass.

What can I say, you get what you pay for. Absolutely no DIPA attributes. This smells and taste like a harsh Belgium beer. It's quite weird. Apple, banana esters, bubblegum. Sweetness builds as it warms and again, not an inkling of hops. I will be hard pressed to finish this. One and done.

2.19/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours a hazy orange with a foamy orange-tan head that settles to a craggy cap on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, margarine, non-stick cooking spray, and subdued citrus zest hop aromas. Taste is much the same with malt and metallic hop flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a low level of carbonation with an almost flat and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a poor beer with no real redeeming qualities other than its appearance.

2.22/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

I bought this DIPA as well as their IPA while picking up some things at Trader Joe's. I didn't much like the IPA, yet for some reason held out some hopes for the DIPA. These hopes were quickly dashed, however. I think this was worse than the IPA.

In a tulip glass the beer was a hazy amber color with a minimal head and no lace.

Not much aroma; very faint citrus and very faint sweet malt. Not much there.

The taste was even more of a letdown. Nothing that resembles an IPA, much less a DIPA. A smidge of lemon and grapefruit, that's about all.

Kind of like drinking some flavored water. Where are the hops?

Never again.

2.24/5  rDev -14.8%

From the 650 ml. bottle "Trader Joe's" batch. Sampled on June 30, 2016.

Orange-amber pour with a fast head.

I do pick up a little musty cellar and perfume character in the aroma and maybe, if I try hard enough, a little floral note.

Medium body.

The taste is bland and missing all the punch that a DIPA should bring out. Kind of metallic but it did have a mild bitterness that faded fast.

2.24/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

Pours hazy copper color with a 2 finger foamy beige head that was full of bubbles, dissipating slowly as the bubbles pop and ease down. Left minimal spotty lacing.

Smells of caramel, brown sugar, vegetables, orange peel, dark fruit and metallic yeast. Sweet smelling but not hoppy at all, this was more like a very malty amber ale, Wee Heavy or German Altbier.

Tastes like it smells with zero IPA qualities besides some hints of fruit and orange peel along with a deep sweetness. Even for an English IPA this lacks any hop presence to categorize it in the IPA family. Too malty, too sweet, no balance and a strange plastic or metallic taste.

As they say, you get what you pay for and this was very cheap....the price is only a mirage as this is no DIPA.

2.28/5  rDev -13.3%

Well, the wife got this at Trader Joe's for $2 and it is possibly worth that. I've had several DIPAs and this one is definitely sub-par. It's a very light amber color with a thin finger of white foam that dissipates shortly. The aroma is an odd mix of sourness and bubblegum. The taste is metallic, sour mess with a hint of adjunct. The body is quite thin for the style, and the aftertaste is less than desirable.
In my opinion, if the beer industry consisted of the government taking over, and producing a basic example of each style, this would be the resulting DIPA. This will not be a repeat buy. It's tolerable and cheap.

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) from Rhinelander Brewing Company