Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) | Rhinelander Brewing Company

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)
Liked This Beer

Added by mactrail on 11-20-2011

Liked:
2.64/5
Alströms:

22 oz. growler for $1.99 from Trader Joe's ... What can you expect?

One of the most disgusting beverages I've ever tasted.

Half a glass and I wanted to carve my tongue out with a rusty paring knife and run screaming out of the room.

Cheap chemical smell. Unbalanced, sticky and sickly-sweet taste. Lingering aftertaste that destroys your palate. Don't even THINK of pairing this with good food. Or any food, for that matter.

Awful on every level.

1.02/5  rDev -61.4%

From Trader Joe's
Packaged in a snazzy looking can with a completely misleading statement that what lurks inside is a Double IPA
Don't be fooled. What poured forth into my Sam Smith's Perfect pint glass looked to be an almost flat, perfect representation of horse's urine, except horses can muster more foam.
The aroma is straight up spoiled malt liquor with a hint of moldy hay and old lemon peel. That alone almost caused a pre taste run to the sink, but I soldier on.
Taste is akin to chugging a Colt45 through a sink strainer at a vegetarian restaurant that specializes in fermented cabbage.
Useful for it's claimed alcohol content and not much else except maybe as a gag gift at a White Elephant party.
Twin screwed? Yep, once when buying and the second time trying to choke this disaster down.
Steamer? Yep, as in a huge steaming pile.

Avoid!

1.04/5  rDev -60.6%

1.12/5  rDev -57.6%

Appearance: Pours a clear orange/caramel brown…tons of bubble action going on…some off white head formed and hung around...looks watery and average…(3/5)

Smell: Bitter! Smells like a cheap beer, think a skunky Old Milwaukee…grains and bitter hops…(1/5)

Taste: Bitter! There’s grains, bitter hops, sweet/pale malts and cardboard…it’s overly bitter, disgustingly bitter…the bitterness overpowers everything happening here and has the classic skunky, frat party cheap beer taste…GROSS! (0/5)

Mouthfeel: Light body, medium carbonation…fluffs disgusting bitterness all over my palate…bitter after taste…(.5/5)

Overall: This may be the single grossest beer I’ve ever had…there is an outrageous bitterness that isn’t tasty nor does it leave room for any other flavors…I can’t believe people actually bottle this and I’m more surprised people buy this…DO NOT PURCHASE this beer, save your money…I suspect burning two one dollar bills with a lighter would bring more satisfaction…seriously, this is disgusting and something I would be ashamed of…(0/5)

1.14/5  rDev -56.8%

Appearance- It looks like beer.

Smell- Skunky booze and sweet malt.

Taste- I almost did a spit take. It tasted like malt liquor that was left out in the sun for 3 days then re-capped and put on the shelf.

Mouthfeel- Overly carbonated and thin.

Overall- One of the most undrinkable pieces of garbage I've ever poured into my mouth. Avoid at all costs. If you only have 2$ buy PBR or something.

1.17/5  rDev -55.7%

I think this the first beer that I am about to drain pour - don't even like to review but this is that bad - i would even grade on a curve considering the price - had low expectations and even those were not meet.

Absolute no hop aroma, smells sweet, corn syrupy.

No hop taste either, very slight bitterness, super sweet malty, alcohol doesn't come through.

looks half way decent.

mouth feel is overwhelmed by sweetness.

This is seriously not that different than simpler times - not to style at all.

1.2/5  rDev -54.5%

Poured into wine goblet
A:clear dark amber. No carbination fat tan head dies kinda slowly good lacing but looks watery
S:Malty woody grain sweet fruit alcohol smell. This smell reminds me of cheap low grade beer. Like pbr.
T: soapy upfront acrid bitter grain alcohol not hop bitter. Slight malt backbone.some slight fruit esters The soapy bitterness lingers in the aftertaste.
M: thin watery slick like old hard grease
O:Wow this is petty nasty.its hasrsh bitter soapy and greasy .Even the 8.5% ABV IS not a saving grace.I would actually rather have a PBR a least it's clean not soapy or grain alcohol like. This tastes like I should be stripping my wood funiture with it.Good if you want to get drunk and don't care HOW! Or why!

1.2/5  rDev -54.5%

Bought the bomber for $2 plus change at Trader Joe's. Code 13 251 12, whatever the heck that means. Served cold in a standard pint glass at the same temperature.

Odd bitterness, very vegetal and green. Like boiled brussel sprouts. Thin, watery, and flat.
Pretty disgusting. Not much else to say. No redeeming qualities aside from the price, and that's meaningless when the quality is this poor.

Bottle claims "Our Double IPA has a pleasant bitterness from the extra hops. This is one big, bold beer!" Whoever wrote this obviously has no idea what 'pleasant bitterness', 'big', 'bold', etc, mean. No way would anyone who's ever had such a thing ever confuse this with a pale ale, much less an IPA, much much less a DOUBLE IPA. Like someone boiled some vegetables, added a bit of color, and carbonated it half-way to what a beer should be carbonated to. It's THAT bad.

Absolutely an epic fail, Trader Joe's. Unbelievably bad.

DRAINPOUR! BLEH! AVOID! GROSS!

1.22/5  rDev -53.8%

I got this 22oz bomber from Trader Joe's here in Portland. I think it was a cheap price and now I can understand why. Usually they have some really good products but I wouldn't consider this one of them. The appearance was burnt orange with a not much of a head or lacing on the sides of the glass. The smell was pretty non existent and off. The taste really thin for a double and it left a poor aftertaste in the mouth. If I wasn't so cheap I might poor this one out. Overall it tastes like a first time off home brewers attempt.

1.24/5  rDev -53%
look: 2 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

1.25/5  rDev -52.7%

One of the only beers I've poured out. Aggressively alcoholic. Even for how cheap it is, not worth your dime.

1.25/5  rDev -52.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

1.27/5  rDev -51.9%

Pathetic. Truly pathetic. Trader Joe's: stop selling this! It is not an IPA for one, there are no hops. The malt is completely dominant. It is sugary sweet and lacks depth of character. There is a significant boozy character, way too much for the style. The price was $5.99 for a six pack. Even at $1 a beer it is way over priced. Id say it should be no more than .25c and even then it should only be used for cooking chili or beer chicken; certainly not for drinking strait. I'm very disappointed in this beer. Shame on you Trader Joe's.

1.28/5  rDev -51.5%

I have only one word for this "beer"..Terrible.

1.3/5  rDev -50.8%

Drainpour (well, not literally: I'm saving it for use in baking and booking. but even that I'm not totally sure about.)

This stuff is just dreadful. I can't even speak well to the mouhtfeel, since I hate having it in my mouth: it tastes distinctly of rotten vegetables. No hops in evidence. If others hadn't also panned it, I'd assumed I got a rotten batch.

Hideous. Awful. Terrible.

And at that, a disappointment from Trader Joe's ($2.29) since they don't normally carry true ratpiss like this.

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) from Rhinelander Brewing Company