Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) | Rhinelander Brewing Company

poor
Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)

Rhinelander Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
rhinelanderbrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by mactrail on 11-20-2011

Reviews: 131 | Ratings: 408

22 oz. growler for $1.99 from Trader Joe's ... What can you expect?

One of the most disgusting beverages I've ever tasted.

Half a glass and I wanted to carve my tongue out with a rusty paring knife and run screaming out of the room.

Cheap chemical smell. Unbalanced, sticky and sickly-sweet taste. Lingering aftertaste that destroys your palate. Don't even THINK of pairing this with good food. Or any food, for that matter.

Awful on every level.

1.12/5  rDev -57.6%

Appearance: Pours a clear orange/caramel brown…tons of bubble action going on…some off white head formed and hung around...looks watery and average…(3/5)

Smell: Bitter! Smells like a cheap beer, think a skunky Old Milwaukee…grains and bitter hops…(1/5)

Taste: Bitter! There’s grains, bitter hops, sweet/pale malts and cardboard…it’s overly bitter, disgustingly bitter…the bitterness overpowers everything happening here and has the classic skunky, frat party cheap beer taste…GROSS! (0/5)

Mouthfeel: Light body, medium carbonation…fluffs disgusting bitterness all over my palate…bitter after taste…(.5/5)

Overall: This may be the single grossest beer I’ve ever had…there is an outrageous bitterness that isn’t tasty nor does it leave room for any other flavors…I can’t believe people actually bottle this and I’m more surprised people buy this…DO NOT PURCHASE this beer, save your money…I suspect burning two one dollar bills with a lighter would bring more satisfaction…seriously, this is disgusting and something I would be ashamed of…(0/5)

1.14/5  rDev -56.8%

Appearance- It looks like beer.

Smell- Skunky booze and sweet malt.

Taste- I almost did a spit take. It tasted like malt liquor that was left out in the sun for 3 days then re-capped and put on the shelf.

Mouthfeel- Overly carbonated and thin.

Overall- One of the most undrinkable pieces of garbage I've ever poured into my mouth. Avoid at all costs. If you only have 2$ buy PBR or something.

1.17/5  rDev -55.7%

I think this the first beer that I am about to drain pour - don't even like to review but this is that bad - i would even grade on a curve considering the price - had low expectations and even those were not meet.

Absolute no hop aroma, smells sweet, corn syrupy.

No hop taste either, very slight bitterness, super sweet malty, alcohol doesn't come through.

looks half way decent.

mouth feel is overwhelmed by sweetness.

This is seriously not that different than simpler times - not to style at all.

1.2/5  rDev -54.5%

Poured into wine goblet
A:clear dark amber. No carbination fat tan head dies kinda slowly good lacing but looks watery
S:Malty woody grain sweet fruit alcohol smell. This smell reminds me of cheap low grade beer. Like pbr.
T: soapy upfront acrid bitter grain alcohol not hop bitter. Slight malt backbone.some slight fruit esters The soapy bitterness lingers in the aftertaste.
M: thin watery slick like old hard grease
O:Wow this is petty nasty.its hasrsh bitter soapy and greasy .Even the 8.5% ABV IS not a saving grace.I would actually rather have a PBR a least it's clean not soapy or grain alcohol like. This tastes like I should be stripping my wood funiture with it.Good if you want to get drunk and don't care HOW! Or why!

1.2/5  rDev -54.5%

Bought the bomber for $2 plus change at Trader Joe's. Code 13 251 12, whatever the heck that means. Served cold in a standard pint glass at the same temperature.

Odd bitterness, very vegetal and green. Like boiled brussel sprouts. Thin, watery, and flat.
Pretty disgusting. Not much else to say. No redeeming qualities aside from the price, and that's meaningless when the quality is this poor.

Bottle claims "Our Double IPA has a pleasant bitterness from the extra hops. This is one big, bold beer!" Whoever wrote this obviously has no idea what 'pleasant bitterness', 'big', 'bold', etc, mean. No way would anyone who's ever had such a thing ever confuse this with a pale ale, much less an IPA, much much less a DOUBLE IPA. Like someone boiled some vegetables, added a bit of color, and carbonated it half-way to what a beer should be carbonated to. It's THAT bad.

Absolutely an epic fail, Trader Joe's. Unbelievably bad.

DRAINPOUR! BLEH! AVOID! GROSS!

1.22/5  rDev -53.8%

I got this 22oz bomber from Trader Joe's here in Portland. I think it was a cheap price and now I can understand why. Usually they have some really good products but I wouldn't consider this one of them. The appearance was burnt orange with a not much of a head or lacing on the sides of the glass. The smell was pretty non existent and off. The taste really thin for a double and it left a poor aftertaste in the mouth. If I wasn't so cheap I might poor this one out. Overall it tastes like a first time off home brewers attempt.

1.3/5  rDev -50.8%

Drainpour (well, not literally: I'm saving it for use in baking and booking. but even that I'm not totally sure about.)

This stuff is just dreadful. I can't even speak well to the mouhtfeel, since I hate having it in my mouth: it tastes distinctly of rotten vegetables. No hops in evidence. If others hadn't also panned it, I'd assumed I got a rotten batch.

Hideous. Awful. Terrible.

And at that, a disappointment from Trader Joe's ($2.29) since they don't normally carry true ratpiss like this.

1.32/5  rDev -50%

This beer is god awful for what it is. Having just a few sips, my mouth has this burn and taste that won't go away.

It pours ok. Opened it and it reeked of a cheap alcohol. I can usually pinpoint flavors and spices, this tastes like it was over sweetened to mask the taste of everything horrible. I can not pinpoint anything I like about the flavor of this beer.

Overall. Do not buy. Stay away. Far far away.

1.33/5  rDev -49.6%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

My goodness, this was awful. As in, can't finish the 10 ounces I poured out of the 22 oz bottle. Most horrid beer I've tasted since Rogue's Voodoo Donut beer, although at least that one was slightly interesting. Anyway...

A: Color was nice, darkish copper. No lacing at all

S: No hop aroma at all. Not much of any aroma

T: Tastes like cheap Champagne filtered through dirty socks, and aged on cardboard.

M: Highly carbonated, again, like champagne. There must be a ton of some adjunct to bump up the alcohol because I don't feel malt backing at all

O: It's really hard to say a single positive thing about this beer. This is now only the 3rd beer I've ever been given that I couldn't drink more than a few sips of. The first was some horrible Chile beer from Arizona, 2nd was the Rogue Voodoo Donut beer (although I at least appreciated what they did with that, and now this.

I've had some other TJ's contract-brewed beers like this, and while not world class examples of their style, they are mostly pretty good. This one is just terrible. Believe the reviews, it really is that bad.

1.37/5  rDev -48.1%

This was very disappointing. I know it's a generic brand type of beer, being brewed for Trader Joe's, but I still expected much better than this. It tasted like a low quality old man sort of beer except concentrated. There was some bitterness, but nothing in the way of pleasant hop aroma or flavor. I really don't understand the purpose of putting a beer like this out on the market.

1.42/5  rDev -46.2%

We bought at trader joes looked like a good deal for a bomber. We hate to be beer snobs but it does taste like the purchase price. Underwhelming taste, smell and mouthfeel. The color of beer is a golden amber, slight haze, minimal head. For $1.99 I would not purchase again, in fact, I poured rest of it down the drain (and we don't like to waste any beer).

1.52/5  rDev -42.4%

Full disclosure: I actually went to the trouble of creating an account so I could review this beer. That's how motivated I am to communicate my feelings on the subject of this beer.

I picked this up at Trader Joes for $2 in a 22oz. A good deal for a DIPA, I thought. This is not so.

Look and Feel:
Poured into a 12oz pint glass with a decent looking head. This beer was quite carbonated, so the bubbles appeared rather large. It is deep golden brown in color. Minimal lacing.

Aroma:
The aroma is more comprised of C02, yeast, and malt components rather than hops, which is very disappointing for something with IPA on the label.

Flavor:
It tastes like a lager that got turned into a double IPA. What I mean is that the malt is not very complex, it's just a little sweet and very boozy, and the hops are not particularly aromatic or pungent - I wouldn't be surprised if this was an IPA made of all Hallertauer hops or something. The malt is a bit one dimensional, transforming from bubbly bitter to cloyingly sweet after the small hop flavor fades from memory.

Verdict:

Do not pay money or spend time drinking this beer. We like the DIPA because of an explosion of flavor between a sweet/savory/smokey malt and some kick-in-the-pants bitter pungent hops combined with the aroma of a pine tree or citrus fruit on top. This beer has none of these characteristics. If someone handed me a glass and asked me to classify it, I would say this falls in a new category I have invented just for this beer: "American Strong Lager" - high ABV, little hops, simplistic malt, cloyingly sweet aftertaste.

1.56/5  rDev -40.9%

Bought at TJ's in a bomber, and thought the reviews were overly harsh... before I drank it.

Poured into a pint glass, took two sips, and dumped it. I'm not the biggest beer snob, but this stuff was undrinkable for me. Probably the worst beer I've ever had!

1.58/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Poured from a 22 oz bomber purchased at Trader Joe's for $2.99 or something.

Has a very nice honey amber color, with strong carbonation resulting in a fluffy off-white head that evaporated quickly with almost no lacing.

The smell is really off, not smelling like hops or malt. Smells more like cheap beer that has sat out overnight after a frat party. Not inviting at all.

The taste is the least balanced of any "craft" beer that I have ever had. Very sweet up front, followed almost immediately by a bitterness with no complexity. No citrus, no floral, just extreme, lingering bitterness.

Yes, I can feel it in my mouth. Kind of wishing at this point that I wasn't.

Overall, this is one of the worst non-mass-market beers that I've ever had. I actually poured most of the bottle down the drain, which for me is like sacrilege.

1.61/5  rDev -39%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a Delirium glass on 8/23/12

Deep, burnt honey amber color with an effervescent, two finger head that dwindles to a much shorter foamy layer. Speckled lacing dots a few places on the glass. Better lace farther along.

Aromatics: soap, dirty orange rinds, herbal hops, soap, caramel, perfume, bread and more soap. Yuck.

The taste is bad on an equal level, though for different reasons. This thing has a candied hop taste with strange, irritable notions of tea leaves, dirt, pine bitterness and stale citrus pith. Caramel and bread thicken the middle, while sticky sweet candy fruit notes linger on the finish.

Fluffy carbonation is a bit too much for its own good, but it's close to being matched with the medium body. The overall feel is ok, aside from the sticky sweet finish.

This is a really bad DIPA and a rather poor beer in general. I won't be finishing it. Not recommended.

1.62/5  rDev -38.6%

A - Amber/ brown. Small head which quickly disappeared. No lacing.
S - Sweet in a malty dextrose way, which makes me nervous. Maraschino cherries. Soap. Cough syrup.
T - Begins creamy, building expectations for something good, but rapidly devolves into oppressive soap and coppery metal flavors. Intense nuttyness too like a weird amaretto.
M - That bitter metallic twang just goes on and on. Serious sensation of pennies on the tongue.
O - This is a kissing cousin of the Malt Liquor clan. It's cheap, yes, and it goes down like a mouthful of the loose change you used to buy it. Avoid.

1.63/5  rDev -38.3%

$1.99 from Trader Joes.
Smells of light sweet bread and lemons.
Tastes sweet with very light bitterness. No pronounced hops,sweetness dominates. This beer is a sad rendition of a double IPA. Cheap hop schedule and poor attenuation are the main culprits here. Strong alcohol bite. Not recommended as a D/IIPA.

1.75/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Bought for, you guessed it, 2.29 at Trader Joe's along with the Chocolate Stout because I thought 2.29 was a steal until I found out it was contract brewed by Minhas. The stout was a disappointment, lets find out what's in the DIPA bomber.

Aggressive pour yields a few fingers of fizzy head with decent retention. Settles pretty slowly, some lacing but not much. Ale is orange with some sediment at the bottom. Not bad looking at all, although the sediment...

Smell is fruity: tangerine. with bread, malty booze as well.

Taste is booze and grapefruit, not much else. Bitter. Oh, why why why did I buy this? Look, I like trying anything and everything and sometimes I get burned. This is one of those times I'm burned. Halfway through a glass and I'm feeling the booze.

I don't know what the hell this supposed to be, but it ain't a DIPA.

edit: by the time you get halfway through, the booze overwhelms the taste buds. I now recommend this for anyone who wants to get drunk on the cheap.

1.76/5  rDev -33.3%

A - pours an amber copper with a decent half inch of dense nearly white head. A fair lacing and ok retention. Not bad looking, but the head has the look of a beer with lots of processed sugars

S - Definitely has that apple type APA fruit/mild citrus character (which I actually dislike), grainy and caramel malts as well. Smells additive heavy/unnatural.

T - I dont think I've ever dumped out a beer, literally, EVER. It may happen, probably not but I'm not going to enjoy this at all. But I don't believe in sunk costs when it comes to beer. A little sweetness comes through after a gross dry additive flavor and a mild alcohol taste (doesnt really burn, just gross). If I could give this a zero I probably would, honestly

M - Super smooth, medium bodied, seemingly no carbonation

O - Reminds me a lot of shipyard brews, probably cheaply made, quick fermentation etc. The color and density of the head on the beer, the aroma, taste and mouth feel all suffer from the cheap sugars/sweeteners presumably used in the beer. Reminds me a lot of Shipyard. at least its 8.4%? Unenjoyable

1.77/5  rDev -33%

Just because the reviews were bad, I figured I would allow this one to age for about a year to see if it would develop some redeeming qualities. Poured into a pint glass from the bottle, the beer was a copper color with a white head. As far as side of the glass go, nothing was left behind by the foam. The aroma certainly was not a reflection of a DIPA. In fact, it was all wrong. It smelled like bananas. On the initial taste, I realize the other reviewers were pretty spot-on so good job BA community. Once I got past the rubbing alcohol burn, I noticed some citrus. In fact, reminded me of the weird aftertaste left by citrus gum. I did detect some malt and the thickness was fairly impressive, allowing this to stick around on the roof of the mouth.

This the type of craft beer that non-craft beer drinkers might be able to tolerate as it is pretty nondescript. Forking over $2.99 for a DIPA, you really do get what you pay for.

1.78/5  rDev -32.6%

22 oz bottle for $1.99 from Trader Joe's. Code on bottom is 1277 01W1277. This doesn't match up with bottle date codes online and my best guess is it was bottled on the 277th day of 2011. If that information is right it is approximately three months old.

A - Deep reddish-copper hue. Head is moderate and mostly dissipates after a few minutes.

S - Caramel and herbal with a touch of dish soap. I can't for the life of my pick out any hop aromas.

T - Grassy and sweet. This reminds me of an amber or a Märzen much more than a double IPA. Rated at 75 IBU and seems a lot less bitter than that. Finishes with pine and metallic notes. I can't wait to cleanse my palate with something else.

M - Carbonation is on the low side and is thin but sticky at the same time.

O - I only finished half the bottle and had to dump the rest. Not recommended for anyone I like.

1.82/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

From a bottle: nice amber appearance. Not much on the nose. Absolutely no citrus or pine characteristic to the hops. Mostly phenol and alcohol flavor. Bad bottle? Although a double IPA should keep well. I would avoid this one.

1.85/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.5

I am a long time lurker on this site, but I felt I needed to make an account just so I could review this beer. I really enjoy IPAs, APAs and sometimes double IPAs. This beer is labelled as a double IPA, but there are barely any detectable hops in the smell or taste. There isn't even a malty flavor (which is the case in their single IPA, but that's another can of worms) Alcohol is the predominant flavor here with the aftertaste being... well, alcohol. If someone hasn't ever tried a double IPA (or an IPA for that matter) and tries this, they could be turned off for good, and that isn't fair to all the wonderful people making truly fantastic beers out there. I wouldn't recommend this double IPA to anyone at any price. Oh I did give the beer a high rating in looks, because it looks pretty.

1.91/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Idiotic 22oz bottle, from the TJ's bargain section. Poured into 10oz goblet. Poured a cloudy orange-amber color with just a thin cap of white head that very low (almost none) retention and decent lacing.

Oh, the humanity! The aroma was just off and wrong. An odd scent, almost like WD-40, hit the nose first, and dominated. There was a very mild malt scent, and some underlying hops. Sadly, those hops were of the onion variety. On the tongue, the beer had the same combination of chemical and onion, just not quite as strong.

The body was fairly typical for the style, perhaps just a bit on the thin side. Drinkability was pretty bad, I made it through about 16oz, and the rest was a sidewalk pour (I respect my drain too much). Overall, pretty damn bad, avoid.

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) from Rhinelander Brewing Company