Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) | Rhinelander Brewing Company

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)
2.64/5
Poor

Rhinelander Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
rhinelanderbrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by mactrail on 11-20-2011

This beer is not labeled correctly. It's more of a strong ale and not really a DIPA. It's a solid beer for the price and enjoyable if you are not expecting a DIPA. Value for flavor is great. If I rated this as a DIPA, I agree with the low scores.

1.75/5  rDev -33.7%

1.22/5  rDev -53.8%

They needed to put the word "Belgian-" or "abbey-" style on the label somewhere to let potential buyers like me who hate that flavor know what they are getting. Regardless of whether those words actually apply, that's definitely what I smell and taste, likely from their strain of yeast. This is not an Imperial IPA by any stretch, other than the high alcohol content. At $4.99/6-pack, "too good to be true" really does apply. I will be returning the other 11 cans tomorrow. Gross.

2.53/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Purchased as a "What the heck" at Trader Joes for $4.99. Poured into a 16 ounce glass from a 12 ounce can at refrigerator temp. It poured a golden amber with a generous head that left decent lacing. The smell was very bready/malty. I found it odd for a double IPA. The taste was surprising as it tasted like it was brewed with Belgian yeast with enough hops to add a bitter finish. If it was a blind tasting I would had thought it was some type of a full bodied Belgian with a bitter finish. As a double IPA I would have to rate it as a WTF are your trying to pull. As a beer it wasn't bad. I think if it was sold for what it was and not necessarily a double IPA the ratings would be better. Now that I know what it is I would purchase it again as a decent brew when I feel like not spending $14.99 for a different brand. In my opinion as a double IPA it was a total miss. As a beer it wasn't bad. Maybe it is cheaper to add taste using Belgian yeast rather than spending money on lots of hops?

3.13/5  rDev +18.6%

I hated this beer when I first tried it. I felt I had been lied to by the can because a double IPA this is not. So what is it? Seems more akin to a strong ale or a well-crafted malt liquor. In terms of taste, it reminds me more of Campari or its non-alcoholic Sanbitter than an IPA in some ways. Tons of malt. Would I buy it again? Probably not, but at $5 for a six pack, I'm glad I gave it a try.

1.66/5  rDev -37.1%

Picked up a 6-pack at Trader Joe's. This is false advertising if I've ever seen it! Horrible, nasty taste, like that of the cheapest light beers. At 8.4% ABV it's very strong and will give you a strong buzz, but that's about it. I've just about sworn off any Trader Joe's private label beer advertised as IPA. Maybe this would be good for marinating bratwursts.

2.8/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

3.08/5  rDev +16.7%

3.44/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

1.41/5  rDev -46.6%

Tastes like sweet turky bacon wrapped in plastic wrap, but at $5 for a six pack and at 8.4% ABV, its very chuggable. If you want to get drunk for cheap look no further. If you posses taste buds keep looking.

3.5/5  rDev +32.6%

2.69/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I mean, it's not bad. And we both know that you didn't break the bank for it, probably throwing it in the Trader Joe's basket next to gyoza and baby carrots as more of an afterthought than anything.

It's exceptionally malty, to such an extent that the bargain bin hops don't have room to maneuver. I've had it out of a can and dumped a pint glass. The aroma is bland at best, so consider just leaving it alone and sipping it straight up when it's the last thing left it your fridge which has never been mentioned in a Weezer song.

I feel like it's been sweetened with something rather inexpensive, lazy, and artificial. This comes in strong ten minutes after it's been emptied.

2.77/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.77/5  rDev +4.9%

Great value for money. Easy drinking ale, but a poor representation of a DIPA.

3.92/5  rDev +48.5%

4.99 A six pack at Trader Joes. As this was a few dollars less than I'd expect to pay, let alone finding a double IPA in a six pack of cans, my expectations were not high. Poured amber orange with light carbonation, good head and very little lace. Smelled a little sweet, more on the pink grapefruit cocktail. There was also a note like JuJuBees candy. Bitter mouth, but not pucker bitter with a filling with foamy finish and lingering bitter.

So, how does this work? Lots of poor reviews and maybe it's not quite up to the style, but for the price. Raisin at the back with sweet fruit dominating. Alcohol muted and the JuJubee note wraps it up. A few years back I reviewed J.W. Dundee Pale Ale and thought for the price, it was a good buy. I guess this beer falls into the same category.

1.61/5  rDev -39%

This is my first review... I would like to encourage people to avoid this beer... It is a bad representation of IPAs.

Strong sweet and sour aroma. Very little hoppiness for an IPA, nevermind a double. Alcohol too prominent. Cheap purchase from Trader Joes. Little drinkability. Amber in color. Similar to a barley wine or Banana Bread Beer. Little body and Carbonation. Sour and Bitter Aftertaste… Would NOT purchase again.

2.5/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.52/5  rDev -4.5%

1.28/5  rDev -51.5%

I have only one word for this "beer"..Terrible.

3.79/5  rDev +43.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.15/5  rDev +57.2%

I tried this beer with an open mind, granted, I did know it was cheap, but I decided to approach it with optimism.

It's better than any "Session" beer I've tried, and it's better than a few of the well reviewed watery "dry" bitter bombs I've tried also.

Look: looked OK, nothing remarkable. A little darker and thicker than say, Budweiser. Some head, about 1/2 inch poured in a pint glass without taking too much care to be gentle, but not a "hard" pour.

Smell: Nothing spectacular, no wonderful sublime hop aroma like Sculpin used to have, or a fresh Nelson Imperial, similar to a Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA.

Taste: Same as above - slightly sweet, nicely balanced malt "back bone" to the hop bitterness. Neither excessively bitter or too dry (thin wattery IPAs go down the drain).

Mouthfeel: Nice body to this beer, similar to 90 Minute IPA, not much "alcohol burn".

If I just wanted a substitute for water to go with my meal, I might have an ice cold Coors Light (I don't often), this beer is a little heavier and a little stronger than a Budweiser and doesn't have a particularly impressive hope aroma or flavor, but it's a decent DIPA and phenomenal for the price (84 cents a can?!?!!). I have skewed my review a little higher considering the value. I think I need to do a blind taste test with this one thrown in the mix to really do a fair comparison. I also think a lot of the other very low reviews are affected by a negative bias from the cheap price.

2.53/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I think this is a great beer! I've had thousands of beers. 1$ a can, 8.4% and its smooth. I know a typical ipa is intense, heavy, hoppy..but this is smooth and enjoyable. I brought it to a party and all the girls were hesitant, then fell in love because it wasn't overpowering and high alcohol content... My new favorite beer!

2.22/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) from Rhinelander Brewing Company