Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) | Rhinelander Brewing Company

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)
Liked This Beer

Liked:
2.64/5
Alströms:

1.32/5  rDev -50%

This beer is god awful for what it is. Having just a few sips, my mouth has this burn and taste that won't go away.

It pours ok. Opened it and it reeked of a cheap alcohol. I can usually pinpoint flavors and spices, this tastes like it was over sweetened to mask the taste of everything horrible. I can not pinpoint anything I like about the flavor of this beer.

Overall. Do not buy. Stay away. Far far away.

1.33/5  rDev -49.6%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

My goodness, this was awful. As in, can't finish the 10 ounces I poured out of the 22 oz bottle. Most horrid beer I've tasted since Rogue's Voodoo Donut beer, although at least that one was slightly interesting. Anyway...

A: Color was nice, darkish copper. No lacing at all

S: No hop aroma at all. Not much of any aroma

T: Tastes like cheap Champagne filtered through dirty socks, and aged on cardboard.

M: Highly carbonated, again, like champagne. There must be a ton of some adjunct to bump up the alcohol because I don't feel malt backing at all

O: It's really hard to say a single positive thing about this beer. This is now only the 3rd beer I've ever been given that I couldn't drink more than a few sips of. The first was some horrible Chile beer from Arizona, 2nd was the Rogue Voodoo Donut beer (although I at least appreciated what they did with that, and now this.

I've had some other TJ's contract-brewed beers like this, and while not world class examples of their style, they are mostly pretty good. This one is just terrible. Believe the reviews, it really is that bad.

1.36/5  rDev -48.5%

Just horrid. I drainpoured this then I cast a voodoo on the store employee who recommended it.

1.37/5  rDev -48.1%

This was very disappointing. I know it's a generic brand type of beer, being brewed for Trader Joe's, but I still expected much better than this. It tasted like a low quality old man sort of beer except concentrated. There was some bitterness, but nothing in the way of pleasant hop aroma or flavor. I really don't understand the purpose of putting a beer like this out on the market.

1.42/5  rDev -46.2%

We bought at trader joes looked like a good deal for a bomber. We hate to be beer snobs but it does taste like the purchase price. Underwhelming taste, smell and mouthfeel. The color of beer is a golden amber, slight haze, minimal head. For $1.99 I would not purchase again, in fact, I poured rest of it down the drain (and we don't like to waste any beer).

1.47/5  rDev -44.3%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.5/5  rDev -43.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.52/5  rDev -42.4%

Full disclosure: I actually went to the trouble of creating an account so I could review this beer. That's how motivated I am to communicate my feelings on the subject of this beer.

I picked this up at Trader Joes for $2 in a 22oz. A good deal for a DIPA, I thought. This is not so.

Look and Feel:
Poured into a 12oz pint glass with a decent looking head. This beer was quite carbonated, so the bubbles appeared rather large. It is deep golden brown in color. Minimal lacing.

Aroma:
The aroma is more comprised of C02, yeast, and malt components rather than hops, which is very disappointing for something with IPA on the label.

Flavor:
It tastes like a lager that got turned into a double IPA. What I mean is that the malt is not very complex, it's just a little sweet and very boozy, and the hops are not particularly aromatic or pungent - I wouldn't be surprised if this was an IPA made of all Hallertauer hops or something. The malt is a bit one dimensional, transforming from bubbly bitter to cloyingly sweet after the small hop flavor fades from memory.

Verdict:

Do not pay money or spend time drinking this beer. We like the DIPA because of an explosion of flavor between a sweet/savory/smokey malt and some kick-in-the-pants bitter pungent hops combined with the aroma of a pine tree or citrus fruit on top. This beer has none of these characteristics. If someone handed me a glass and asked me to classify it, I would say this falls in a new category I have invented just for this beer: "American Strong Lager" - high ABV, little hops, simplistic malt, cloyingly sweet aftertaste.

1.56/5  rDev -40.9%

Bought at TJ's in a bomber, and thought the reviews were overly harsh... before I drank it.

Poured into a pint glass, took two sips, and dumped it. I'm not the biggest beer snob, but this stuff was undrinkable for me. Probably the worst beer I've ever had!

1.58/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Poured from a 22 oz bomber purchased at Trader Joe's for $2.99 or something.

Has a very nice honey amber color, with strong carbonation resulting in a fluffy off-white head that evaporated quickly with almost no lacing.

The smell is really off, not smelling like hops or malt. Smells more like cheap beer that has sat out overnight after a frat party. Not inviting at all.

The taste is the least balanced of any "craft" beer that I have ever had. Very sweet up front, followed almost immediately by a bitterness with no complexity. No citrus, no floral, just extreme, lingering bitterness.

Yes, I can feel it in my mouth. Kind of wishing at this point that I wasn't.

Overall, this is one of the worst non-mass-market beers that I've ever had. I actually poured most of the bottle down the drain, which for me is like sacrilege.

1.61/5  rDev -39%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a Delirium glass on 8/23/12

Deep, burnt honey amber color with an effervescent, two finger head that dwindles to a much shorter foamy layer. Speckled lacing dots a few places on the glass. Better lace farther along.

Aromatics: soap, dirty orange rinds, herbal hops, soap, caramel, perfume, bread and more soap. Yuck.

The taste is bad on an equal level, though for different reasons. This thing has a candied hop taste with strange, irritable notions of tea leaves, dirt, pine bitterness and stale citrus pith. Caramel and bread thicken the middle, while sticky sweet candy fruit notes linger on the finish.

Fluffy carbonation is a bit too much for its own good, but it's close to being matched with the medium body. The overall feel is ok, aside from the sticky sweet finish.

This is a really bad DIPA and a rather poor beer in general. I won't be finishing it. Not recommended.

1.61/5  rDev -39%

This is my first review... I would like to encourage people to avoid this beer... It is a bad representation of IPAs.

Strong sweet and sour aroma. Very little hoppiness for an IPA, nevermind a double. Alcohol too prominent. Cheap purchase from Trader Joes. Little drinkability. Amber in color. Similar to a barley wine or Banana Bread Beer. Little body and Carbonation. Sour and Bitter Aftertaste… Would NOT purchase again.

1.62/5  rDev -38.6%

A - Amber/ brown. Small head which quickly disappeared. No lacing.
S - Sweet in a malty dextrose way, which makes me nervous. Maraschino cherries. Soap. Cough syrup.
T - Begins creamy, building expectations for something good, but rapidly devolves into oppressive soap and coppery metal flavors. Intense nuttyness too like a weird amaretto.
M - That bitter metallic twang just goes on and on. Serious sensation of pennies on the tongue.
O - This is a kissing cousin of the Malt Liquor clan. It's cheap, yes, and it goes down like a mouthful of the loose change you used to buy it. Avoid.

1.63/5  rDev -38.3%

$1.99 from Trader Joes.
Smells of light sweet bread and lemons.
Tastes sweet with very light bitterness. No pronounced hops,sweetness dominates. This beer is a sad rendition of a double IPA. Cheap hop schedule and poor attenuation are the main culprits here. Strong alcohol bite. Not recommended as a D/IIPA.

1.64/5  rDev -37.9%

1.7/5  rDev -35.6%

Was not impressed. Did not like the taste

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) from Rhinelander Brewing Company