Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) | Rhinelander Brewing Company

poor
Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)

Rhinelander Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
rhinelanderbrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by mactrail on 11-20-2011

Reviews: 131 | Ratings: 408
2.5/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint beer beer mug.

Appearance- Golden brown with a two finger head the dissipates quickly. Some lacing.

Smell- There are hops in here? Trying hard to smell them. Now that I am near the end of the glass, there is definitely a chemical smell going on that I don' like.

Taste- The taste isn't bad, but not what I expect from a double IPA. Nowhere near, actually.

Mouthfeel- Verdict is still out on this. The alcohol is definitely there.

Overall- I will not buy this again - even though it was cheap at Trader Joes. There are too many great double I.P.A. s out there. But it is keeping me warm during our first winter storm of the year here in Maine.

This is not remotely close to what a double IPA should be. There is no noticeable hop flavor or aroma. It's certainly strong enough, even closing in on fusel-ly. It's also bitter enough for the strength but would be better described as an old ale or barleywine.

Bought at Trader Joe's, no clue how long it's been on the shelf.

2.74/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

22 oz bomber the wife brought back from Trader Joe's (a nice surprise) poured into a tulip glass. Had never heard of this, so was looking forward to trying it.

A- Amber red with a thin half finger head that dissipates quickly to a thin lace. Greenish hue.

S - Some burnt grains, malt. Not picking up any hops.

T - Not much semblance of taste here. You get some booze and some backend malt sweetness.

M - Mouthfeel is medium, a touch on the thin side. Carbonation is low.

O - Not sure what to make of this. Doesn't come across as a DIPA. There is no balance. Cant say I would recommend it.

2.04/5  rDev -22.7%

Appearance- Light brown with a lot of carbonation. Little to no head retention.

Smell- Not a lot of excitement on the smell. Smells sort of like a bud light with a slight hint of hops.

Taste- A little but of hoppiness but not noticeably citrus or floral, just bitter. Maltiness is more noticeable than the hoppiness.

Mouthfeel- Oily and slick. Alcohol is noticeable.

Overall- Definitely the least expensive double IPA I've ever bought but I wouldn't really call it a double IPA. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend this for human consumption.

3.12/5  rDev +18.2%

I bought a bottle of Boatswain Twin Screw Steamer in a grocery store. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours a copper/gold color, clear with a creamy white head.

Smell is sweet soft fruit aroma. Melons and pears, not the pine and citrus aroma one might expect.

Taste is sweet and mildly bitter at the same time. The sweet in a soft fruit flavor, and then a dry bitter finish. Not the citrus flavor of the style.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, wet and slightly cloying.

Overall an unusual representation of the style. A little too sweet for my liking.

3.4/5  rDev +28.8%

I don't quite understand the hate behind this beer. For $2.29 at the local Trader Joe's and at 8.4% ABV with a decent taste, it is pretty good value.

The taste isn't very hoppy or scream 'IPA' let alone 'double IPA', but it isn't bad tasting. I had low standards for this beer considering it's price though.

Mouthfeel is average. Pretty alcoholic tasting, not in a good way, but it does have flavor there. It's much heartier than your average highly consumed beer which is good.

Appearance is average. Little to no head which is a disappointment. Cloudy orange.

Overall, this beer *isn't* great, but I don't think it's deserving of an extremely low rating. It has a slightly above average taste, and I would buy it again if I was in the mood. Great beer to take the edge off if you want to avoid the big brands just for only $2.29.

2.44/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) has a thin, cream-colored head, a rather opaque, glowing red-orange, bubbly appearance, some little suspended beige sediment, and no lacing left behind. The aroma is of faint, sweet bread crust, and the flavor is of sweet bread crust, straightforward, but mild hop bitterness, and a touch of light fruit. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Boatswain Double IPA finishes mostly dry, easy drinking, and just the littlest bit alcohilic. Overall, for something touted as bold, this is pretty dull. Nothing bad or foul, though.

RJT

1.14/5  rDev -56.8%

Appearance- It looks like beer.

Smell- Skunky booze and sweet malt.

Taste- I almost did a spit take. It tasted like malt liquor that was left out in the sun for 3 days then re-capped and put on the shelf.

Mouthfeel- Overly carbonated and thin.

Overall- One of the most undrinkable pieces of garbage I've ever poured into my mouth. Avoid at all costs. If you only have 2$ buy PBR or something.

2.68/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a tulip glass. Bought from Trader Joe's for 2.29. 1.5 fingers of white head over a nice amber body. Next to no nose... There is a bit of balance of bitterness, though mostly a malt bomb. Watery mouthfeel... damn, just accept the fact that you want to drink this for the 8.4 buzz... boo-yah. Not a good reviewing beer if you are into that kind of thing.

2.91/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours a beautiful dark amber with a persistent fluffy head. Aroma is dried fruit, boozy, sugar candy. The taste is metallic adjunct, hot like cheap vodka, malt liquor like in quality with no evidence of a double IPA anywhere but on the label. Some bitterness in the backbone but close to no hop flavors or aromas present. Nice thick mouthfeel and ample carbonation. This was a $1.99 bomber from Trader Joe's, but even the value price can't justify wanting to drink this on a regular basis. Good for cooking with but that is all.

2.45/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

A: Medium brown amber in color. A little bit of light tan head on the top of it, but not a lot. Slightly hazy in the glass.

S: Caramel and sweet right off the bat. There is a strong fruitiness to it, perhaps a little tropical fruit hop smell, perhaps a little floral . All in all I am not getting a lot of hops out of this, and it comes off almost cloying.

T: There are some hops in there, although far from the hop character I would normally associate with this style. This is a caramel bomb if I ever had one.... The bitterness is almost non-existent, and the hop character is looking a lot like Where's Waldo. [poc

M: Medium thick in body, carbonation seems a little active for me, the finish is slightly dry.

O: Overall this is a fine strong ale, as a IIPA there is very little hop character or bitterness. The cloying quality is a little much and the booziness doesn't help.

1.52/5  rDev -42.4%

Full disclosure: I actually went to the trouble of creating an account so I could review this beer. That's how motivated I am to communicate my feelings on the subject of this beer.

I picked this up at Trader Joes for $2 in a 22oz. A good deal for a DIPA, I thought. This is not so.

Look and Feel:
Poured into a 12oz pint glass with a decent looking head. This beer was quite carbonated, so the bubbles appeared rather large. It is deep golden brown in color. Minimal lacing.

Aroma:
The aroma is more comprised of C02, yeast, and malt components rather than hops, which is very disappointing for something with IPA on the label.

Flavor:
It tastes like a lager that got turned into a double IPA. What I mean is that the malt is not very complex, it's just a little sweet and very boozy, and the hops are not particularly aromatic or pungent - I wouldn't be surprised if this was an IPA made of all Hallertauer hops or something. The malt is a bit one dimensional, transforming from bubbly bitter to cloyingly sweet after the small hop flavor fades from memory.

Verdict:

Do not pay money or spend time drinking this beer. We like the DIPA because of an explosion of flavor between a sweet/savory/smokey malt and some kick-in-the-pants bitter pungent hops combined with the aroma of a pine tree or citrus fruit on top. This beer has none of these characteristics. If someone handed me a glass and asked me to classify it, I would say this falls in a new category I have invented just for this beer: "American Strong Lager" - high ABV, little hops, simplistic malt, cloyingly sweet aftertaste.

3.09/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a 13 oz tulip, couldn't find a date. Pours a bright orange with a one inch off white, that leaves some traces of lace. Smell is odd, turpentine, orange, pine, and cloyingly sweet. Taste is a little better, not bitter as you expect, the alcohol isn't as strong, some tropical flavors, and grapefruit. Body is medium, plenty of life, a little dry, and once you get past the odd flavors it goes down o.k. $2.49 a bomber and I know why, it could be worse, but not much.

2.05/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

I don't know I guess I had to see what a $2.98 IPA taste like. I knew it would be to good to be true but I am in Seattle..curiosity killed the cat for sure. A Natty Light drinker might be impressed! Great for trick or treat or a spoof on your best friend.

3.31/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a 16 oz champaign flute (the 22 oz did not fit all at once). It's a lovely unfiltered golden color with a one finger head that dissipates and leaves fair lacing down the sides. Aroma is on the mild side, but pleasing--hops, and a bit of malt and grain. Flavor is not really that of a double IPA (a la Ruinstion), but more like a regular IPA. Moderate, but not strong hoppy bitterness, well balanced (which double IPAs are NOT), a bit of citrus, a bit of pine. The aftertaste does develop a mild grapefruit bite. Mouth feel is meduim, foamy, not creamy. Overall this is good, and I think it's been under-rated on this website, but what do I know?!

2.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Wife picked this up at TJ’s for about $2 a bomber. Uh-oh. Well at least she brought me something back, eh? Popped the top and this thing right off the bat was smelling like a Budweiser straight from the bottle . Double oh-no’s!

Pours a dark amber colored ale with a big time cream colored head. Impressed with the lacing and staying power…..which disappears soon after I wrote that. Hmmmm.

The aroma is definitely improved since the pour into a glass. Big malts up front, toast, orange, biscuit and a touch of dankness.

The taste is very much on the sweet side. This is a different style of DIPA going on here. Not sure the type of hops used, but the sweetness continues to overpower and even moreso on the aftertaste. Fruity and lightly hoppy is the mix and not much else. Each sip I try to figure out what’s going on here…but finally give up.

Mouthfeel is decent but the sweetness detracts.

Overall this just wasn’t for me. If you like a sweeter DIPA then the price point is spot on for an 8.4% monster….me….I prefer a hop bomb-ruin the palate-type of DIPA. I’ll still keep my beautiful wife, but this “twin screw steamer” screwed me. I’ll be giving my paperboy his $2….cuz he wants his $2.

2.22/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

I bought this DIPA as well as their IPA while picking up some things at Trader Joe's. I didn't much like the IPA, yet for some reason held out some hopes for the DIPA. These hopes were quickly dashed, however. I think this was worse than the IPA.

In a tulip glass the beer was a hazy amber color with a minimal head and no lace.

Not much aroma; very faint citrus and very faint sweet malt. Not much there.

The taste was even more of a letdown. Nothing that resembles an IPA, much less a DIPA. A smidge of lemon and grapefruit, that's about all.

Kind of like drinking some flavored water. Where are the hops?

Never again.

2.67/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This says double ipa but it has very little hops and a whole lotta malt and alcohol. If anything this should be called an American strong ale or something along those lines. There is a big malt flavor + odd chemical bitterness (not hops but something akin to Windex.) This reminds me of Old English 800 or some other ghetto style brew. I am not sure why Trader Joes is carrying such a low grade brew, most of their selection is good (they recently added Stone Belgium IPA.) This is just a cheap strong beer that is not worth sitting next to a Stone or an AleSmith at TJs

3.28/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Found this for $1.99 at the local Trader Joe's and thought... "Why not?"

A-
The label is nice to look at, and the brew itself is a perfect IPA orange. The appearance is really the best thing about this beer.

S-
Surprisingly sweet and malt-liqouresqe. Adjuncts, syrup and a bit of green banana.

T-
Not bad at all, but certainly not normal for a beer of this style. I was reminded more of "Steel Reserve" than a decent IPA.... but I digress. For what it is, I was perfectly fine with the less than usual flavor profile.

M-
Chewy, and a little flat. Not bad at all... I found myself glad that it wasn't overcarbonated.

O-
Take it or leave it... This is a very odd beer, but not a very bad one. I'd drink it again.

1.33/5  rDev -49.6%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

My goodness, this was awful. As in, can't finish the 10 ounces I poured out of the 22 oz bottle. Most horrid beer I've tasted since Rogue's Voodoo Donut beer, although at least that one was slightly interesting. Anyway...

A: Color was nice, darkish copper. No lacing at all

S: No hop aroma at all. Not much of any aroma

T: Tastes like cheap Champagne filtered through dirty socks, and aged on cardboard.

M: Highly carbonated, again, like champagne. There must be a ton of some adjunct to bump up the alcohol because I don't feel malt backing at all

O: It's really hard to say a single positive thing about this beer. This is now only the 3rd beer I've ever been given that I couldn't drink more than a few sips of. The first was some horrible Chile beer from Arizona, 2nd was the Rogue Voodoo Donut beer (although I at least appreciated what they did with that, and now this.

I've had some other TJ's contract-brewed beers like this, and while not world class examples of their style, they are mostly pretty good. This one is just terrible. Believe the reviews, it really is that bad.

1.56/5  rDev -40.9%

Bought at TJ's in a bomber, and thought the reviews were overly harsh... before I drank it.

Poured into a pint glass, took two sips, and dumped it. I'm not the biggest beer snob, but this stuff was undrinkable for me. Probably the worst beer I've ever had!

1.63/5  rDev -38.3%

$1.99 from Trader Joes.
Smells of light sweet bread and lemons.
Tastes sweet with very light bitterness. No pronounced hops,sweetness dominates. This beer is a sad rendition of a double IPA. Cheap hop schedule and poor attenuation are the main culprits here. Strong alcohol bite. Not recommended as a D/IIPA.

2.52/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours a deep amber with little head and no lacing. Very thin skim of foam mostly around the edge of the glass. Aroma is ripe fruits. Mouthfeel is decent, slightly on the thin side but good carbonation.

Taste is really odd. Certainly not what is expected for a DIPA. Overripe fruit with a tart aftertaste and slight booziness. Comes across like a cider made from plums that's going sour. If that sounds good to you, then you might like this.

Several of Trader Joe's beer offerings are decent, but this surely isn't one of them. Won't be buying this again.

1.91/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Idiotic 22oz bottle, from the TJ's bargain section. Poured into 10oz goblet. Poured a cloudy orange-amber color with just a thin cap of white head that very low (almost none) retention and decent lacing.

Oh, the humanity! The aroma was just off and wrong. An odd scent, almost like WD-40, hit the nose first, and dominated. There was a very mild malt scent, and some underlying hops. Sadly, those hops were of the onion variety. On the tongue, the beer had the same combination of chemical and onion, just not quite as strong.

The body was fairly typical for the style, perhaps just a bit on the thin side. Drinkability was pretty bad, I made it through about 16oz, and the rest was a sidewalk pour (I respect my drain too much). Overall, pretty damn bad, avoid.

2.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Enjoyed this beer out of a pub glass

A: copper hue with a thin white head leads to a wispyace and no trail.

S: musky hop aroma.

T: crisp musky bitter flavored followed by some off malt flavor and finishes sweet and dry.

M: medium body and medium carbonation

O: not a very well rounded beer - lots of off flavors.

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) from Rhinelander Brewing Company