1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to add-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Tempter IPA | Telluride Brewing Co.

Tempter IPATempter IPA

telluridebrewingco.com

Style: American IPA

Reviews by Canada_Dan:
3.75/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.47/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Thanks Drevis.
Subdued aroma for style with a doughy and earthy quality (that reminds me of citra, but according to the website it is not) to the hop aroma.
Quite light colored for style too with a pale gold and mostly clear. Smallish head settled down.
Immediate hop bit that very quickly moves to a prominent bitterness that lingers a good long time and really seems to dominate. Some of the bits of doughiness and some earthiness, and some fruitiness (a bit of citrus and some tartness). Complexity increases some with warming, but it doesn't seem in a hurry to get there.
Body is a bit thin and fully carbonated.
Pretty standard fare.

4.09/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3.6/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can. Pours clear reddish amber with a medium creamy off white head that goes to a thin film and laces the glass some.

The aroma is sweet crystal malts with some piney fruity hops.

The flavor is sweet candy malts with some tropical fruit and piney resiny hops with medium bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation and a bit watery.

Overall, a nice IPA. It's a bit sweet for me, but I like the hop flavors.

4.08/5  rDev +6.5%

I am unsure who sent this to me. Was it #TheOldLady (now an ex)? At any rate, The CANQuest (tm) forges onward!

From the CAN: "Brewed High - 8750'"; "Named after one of the most epic backcountry ski runs in the Rockies, this Ameri[AN] IPA tempts you to dive into boldness. Deep flavors are created by balancing rich malts with robust hops. So good[,] it takes you out of bounds! Cheers, Chris Fish, Brewmaster/Co-Owner"; "Snow Melt, Malted Barley and Rye, Ameri[CAN] Hops, Yeast".

Given its potential age, I decided to handle it with kid gloves. The Crack! actually fought me and I was careful not to tear off the tab. They do not teach these sorts of things in school! I used a gentle Glug so as not to stir up any lees that may have been generated in the interim. I still generated a finger of dense, tawny head that slowly fell, leaving sticky lacing in its wake. Color was a pretty Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a grassy, minty Evergreen/Wintergreen scent that got my mouth watering. Mouthfeel was medium. The hops wasted no time in drilling into my poor, unsuspecting tongue! Shazam! This is precisely why I became a self-avowed, unapologetic hophead in the first place. Big, minty flavors washed around with an unmatchable bite. Warming, it took on a tea-like quality and I felt a moment of Zen coming on. Finish was dry, flowery, green and yummy.

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.04/5  rDev +5.5%

bought a sixer of this last week in my first trip to Mr. B's in LoDo/Ballpark--a little afielod of my Capitol Hill haunts but it gets mega love on the Mountain forum so I wanted to give it a try, and it's a nice retailer for sure. But on to Tempter--a very nice American IPA, for some reason this is my first go with it. I guess I've had one of these every day for the last 6 days.

I would say in general, very nice, if not knock-your-socks-off spectacular. Definitely no off flavors, no flaws in appearance although it didn't pour a fluffy, billowing head and wasn't all that lively the carbonation was certainly within style parameters, just maybe a little on the lower side of style. Nice malt backbone. Hops were a)piney b) dank and c) grapefruit d) orange peel, in that descending order. Or at least that was how I perceived them. Not as big on the nose as on the tongue. They actually reminded me of some recent homebrews I've done and so I checked the website to see if I was right, and I had 3 of the 5--Chinook, Columbus (CTZ actually) & Simcoe. (The two I didn't get were Centennial and Amarillo).

I would definitely buy this again, a well made IPA hitting all the right notes (for me anyway) at a good price.

I actually didn't check, any of the 6 times, for a packaged-on date. Poured into my favorite glass and can tossed into recycling on the back porch each time. If this was older it might explain the not-so-powerful aroma...

3.67/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Dark copper colored with a half inch of frothy beige foam on top. Heavy lacing. Aroma is an aggressive burst of citrus hops and biscuit light malt. The taste is sharply bitter citrus hops and light biscuit malt is apparent at the back of the palate. The mouth is dry and lightly sticky.

3.77/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Revisit: 3 Nov 17

12 oz. Can
Canned On: 092117

Pours a pretty nice clean/clear dark golden orangy color, pretty nice carbonation, with a pretty nice thick/creamy one-finger off-white head, which also leaves some pretty nice sticky lacing behind. The nose is hoppy, with some malt, with a nice little citrus note. The taste is hoppy, malty, with some citrus. Medium body, ABV hidden pretty nicely, with a dry/bitter finish. Overall, a tasty brew, a nice thirst quencher.

12 oz. Can

Pours a nice yellow color, nice carbonation, with a pretty nice small off-white head, which leaves some sticky lacing behind. The nose is hoppy, malty, with some citrus. The taste is hoppy, malty, citrusy. Medium body, with a nice dry/bitter finish. Overall, a pretty tasty brew.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Poured a hazy amber with a short white head and light lacing. It's a big tasty mess of an IPA and I like it. The nose is full of juicy citrus and mellow pine. A bit of toasty, almost cocoa, malt pops out in the flavor, but those classic American hops dominate the flavor. The bitterness is average for the style, as is the body. It's closer to a red ale than most IPAs, but no closer than Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale. Overall, a solid beer. I like that there's a slight hint of roasted barley mixed in with the sweet grapefruit flavors. Check it out if you can.

3.89/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

Slight chill haze. Gold, leaning in the direction of amber, with soft billowy, persistent foam. Hops are like leaves of a Geranium. Comes across in aroma faintly and flavor strongly. Not my favorite, initially, but my distaste fades to neutral. I also pick up a slight metallic aroma. For an IPA, the flavor has more sweetness than I expect, although it is not unwelcome. The beer feels like soft kisses in the mouth, initially, but finishes a bit prickly. Nice juxtaposition. According to the Telluride website, the hops they use are all hops that I have enjoyed in my homebrewing, but here I found them off-putting, initially. Although I would prefer different hops, it's not a bad beer and it grew on me with time.

3.62/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

12oz can. Poured out a clear, golden color with a small, tan head of foam. It smelled of orange, pine and sweet caramel. Nice citrus bite with a bitter kick. Good toasted caramel backbone.

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can $1.70 or something. Bright orange color, good head and lacing. Aroma is very fruity but not quite citrus. Flavor was really not bitter at all just a decent fruit flavor and malt backing. You can tell this is hoppy and while it does not hit the hop profiles Iike it is still a decent IPA. I'd probably buy this again.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

4.17/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.58/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

3.56/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.87/5  rDev +1%

4.25/5  rDev +11%

Tempter IPA from Telluride Brewing Co.