Ass Kisser Smoked Porter | Ass Kisser Ales

Ass Kisser Ales
asskisserales.com

Style: American Porter

Added by champ103 on 03-25-2011

Trying the Ass Kisser Porter this Xmas Eve...it is a full bodied porter at 8% abv. The peer pours a dark almost completely opaque. A this ecru head forms at the top with minimal if any lacing. The smell smoke with light roast. The taste earth and peat mixed with smoke. The mouthfeel as mentioned is full bodied with decent carbontation. This isnt too bad of a porter.

My first time round with the Ass Kisser brand from Rahr & Sons.

Pours a dark brown color with a great looking inch of tight, pancake batter like head. Brilliant lacing as well.

Aroma is like smoked caramel. A little mesquite and a little sweet. Not too complex but bang on for the style.

The sweetness and the smokiness are apparent right away. THis has some chocolate and licorice flavors combined with a subtle, yet very apparent, smokiness that is in now way over powering. It's done well. A bit like a smokey tootsie roll.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I'm still not sure why we're getting this brand from Rahr here in New England as we don't get any of their regular offerings.

I picked this up at Winooski Beverage in VT for about $7.

3.97/5  rDev +9.1%

22 oz bomber pours a dark brown color with some crimson highlights. Head is fine and creamy and displays average retention. Not much lacing.

Nose is big on the smoke but does not completely cover up the roasty, peaty malts. Coffee, campfire, chocolate and caramel. Smells pretty damn good actually.

About as much smoke as you would want without it being totally dominant. Still lets the slightly sweet, dark malt flavors to come through nicely. It is smokier than a Stone Smoked Porter, but not as much as any of the Schlenkerla beers. Mouthfeel is pretty full and viscous. Does show a little bit of acrid bitterness about midway through the bomber, and the alcohol becomes noticeable. But overall this is a pretty good smoked beer, I enjoyed it. I would pick up another bomber or two if I saw it.

3.96/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I got this in a 22oz bomber for $1.25 at big lots! I am just sampling out of sample glass I got at oktoberfest here in fresno.
APPEARANCE: its a redish brown color dark but very see through, not like most other porters I have had. Had to pour pretty rough to get any kind of head.

SMELL: first off I smell straight roasted chocolate, its got just a very malt forward smell, I also smell raisins..like chocolate covered raisins, no hop aroma what so ever

TASTE: smokey roasty chocolate right off the bat! Light Coffee in the background, taste a little bit of the alcohol which is not suprising at 8%.

MOUTHFEEL: medium bodied

OVERALL: good but I've had better. I do like the smokey taste to it, they did that well. I like it though! On a scale of 1-10 I give it a 6

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

Picked up at Champagne Cellars in December. Pretty good smoked porter. very good drinkability. Black with small retained head. Pleasant smokiness. Complex: A little BBQ, a little mocha, and a bit of sweet-spicyness. Medium mouthfeel.Fizzy carbonation.

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

My first offering from Rahr & Sons and I am delighted to say I enjoyed this beer quite a bit.

A: Poured a deep dark brown with a jet black core. It produced a frothy 1+ finger head that exhibited reasonable retention and left a good amount of lacing.

S: Coffee and chocolate were the primary notes hiding the alcohol and overpowering any hops present.

T: As the smell indicated, coffee and chocolate dominate. What was nice is the chocolate is bitter sweet allowing you to finish the beer without sweetness overwhelming your taste buds.

M: Light and crisp, surprising for a porter.

O: A pretty straight forward porter, but that doesn't take away from its charm. Would like to try this beer again in the future and am excited to try other offerings from this brewery.

Ass Kisser Smoked Porter from Ass Kisser Ales