Ass Kisser Vanilla Pale Ale | Ass Kisser Ales

Read the review

Ass Kisser Ales
asskisserales.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Retired in August 2013.

Added by AleWatcher on 10-17-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 29 | Ratings: 117
2.5/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Beer poured from bottle into a Nonic shaped pint glass

A - Beer pours with a very thin consistency; watery; not much head formed, under one finger in size; didn't hold well either; well-carbonated though; no lacing; clear body

S - Vanilla, but doesn't mix well with the hops, smells a little moldy; cream soda; cream/sour cheese; caramel

T - Taste like vanilla bean ice cream; cream soda; cotton candy; no hops, some grass taste; tangy weird taste

M - Very thin consistency; watery body; sugary vanilla aftertaste coats the tongue and doesn't go away for a while; sour bitter burn in the throat;

D - Not very well thought out; not sure where the brewers were going with this beer; flavor profile is out of whack and the weird aftertaste and mouthfeel don't help it either; time to go back to the drawing board

2.65/5  rDev -10.8%

This looks golden blonde with a thin vanilla aroma and a bracing vanilla flavor. Vanilla extract comes to mind, more on the artificial side--strong and off, almost, with a thin, astringent finish. I found it flat flavored, thin bodied, and overly artificial. Warming only brings out the worst in it. Obviously not very enjoyable to my tastes but I’ve been in the minority here with every bottle I’ve shared.

A more positive comparison would be to a vanilla cream soda—but if I wanted an actual cream soda I’d drink that instead. Skip, pour, or give away.

*Note: The bottle I had was from California, not Texas... Different region, different contract brewery perhaps?

2.68/5  rDev -9.8%

A new brewery to my local store, so I figured I'd grab one of each of their three current offerings to try 'em out. Part the first: It pours a clear lightly amber-hued gold topped by maybe a half-finger of off-white foam. The nose seems faint, but it could just be nearly nonexistent anyway (meaning not much there for me to even perceive, were I able). I get some mild cream soda, a touch of overly sweet caramel, and the vague sense of ruby red grapefruit. Suffice it to say, I'm not impressed by this aspect of the brew. The taste doesn't seem to emphasize any particular vanilla-ness, rather a vague sweetness that borders on a powdered sugar sort of character. The rest of it is kinda ginger ale-like, but with less ginger and more vague citrus. Dammit, everything here is just so vague and conformist (the only word that comes to mind here...). The body is a light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a syrupy feel, almost like a flat soda. Overall, I am mystified by this beer. It sorta lives up to its own billing, but there's nothing in the way of pale ale to be found, and the vanilla isn't very expressive. It's not a bad beer necessarily, but I can't in good conscience call it a very good one in any appreciable way. My head, he spins...

2.2/5  rDev -25.9%

Grabbed a single from a local store... Couldn't pass up a vanilla pale ale-- my first! (and as far as I know, the only one made!)

Served in a pint.

Golden colored body with a small, almost non-existent head. The small head vanished quickly, leaving only a small ring of bubbles as a collar.
Smells like ginger ale meets cream soda. Almost no "base beer" here at all. This doesn't taste like beer really at all-- it tastes like a gourmet soda made with some sort of maltable ingredient that beer generally uses. The vanilla is pretty mild-- it needs to be sweeter and more pronounced.

This feels like a soda. A sugary, undercarbonated soda.

Overall, it's hard to really know what they were going for here-- some sort of mild ale with vanilla is my best guess, but the mark was missed. The beer isn't "beery" enough to be a good pale ale, and not vanilla enough to be an interesting sipper that could be a novelty at parties-- then again, people like strange shit.
This one doesn't do it for me.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last