Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Alt-eration Ale | Hops and Grain Brewery

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

3.8/5  rDev 0%

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

The wonderous JenRay sent me some CANs in support of The CANQuest (TM) and I have fallen terribly behind, but I am getting caught up! Many thanks for these inclusions to the ongoing madness and I promise to do better.

From the CAN: "Sustainable quality"; "Malty, Crisp, Dry Hopped"; "glass ALT temp 45 [deg.]"; "At the Hops & Grain Brewery we know that good planets are hard to find. That's why we are working hard to save our own by packaging our beer in the most recyclable {CAN]tainer on the Earth. Aluminum!"; "A few steps in the RIGHT DIRECTION: old wisdom applied TO NEW IDEALS; change is good, especially when it EVENS OUT A DOLLAR".

Once more, the Crack! revealed a brimful craft CAN and I feel as though I have gained something extra in the bargain. The inverted Glug revealed a darker beer than I had been expecting (dummy, me) and this produced a very noticeable pseudo-cascade which settled into three fingers of dense, puffy, light-tan head with excellent retention. Color was Brown – Dark Brown (SRM = > 22, < 27) with coppery highlights. Nose had a rich, caramel and syrup-like sweetness underlain by a grassy hoppiness. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was not as sweet as the nose had led me to expect. It was as though the fermentation had really dried the malts, allowing the grassy bitterness of the hops an opportunity to shine through. The sweetness was more towards molasses, which has an inherent bittersweetness. Finish was semi-dry, more bitter than sweet, but not by much. At this juncture, I feel like invoking The Most Interesting Man in the World and saying, “I don’t often drink Altbiers, but when I do, it should be ones like this.”

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%