Irish Stout | Four Horsemen Brewing Company

fourhorsemenbrewco.com

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by SmartyPints on 12-12-2011

2.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Warning: I'm not a fan of the style, so take this with a grain of salt.

here it goes...

Pours stout color, kind of flat, leaving little to no foam, and what minuscule amount is there dissipates quickly. [update: got to the bottom - the sediment is black nugget like. I should say flakes of black stuff]

Smell is stout like. Cocoa maybe? Some sort of dryness too.

Taste is stout like I think. Sort of a watery roasted malt flavor. I can't identify any specific flavor.

The mouthfeel sort of wrecks this for me. It is like water mixed with what could have been a good beer. It's flat.

I'm not saying to myself "I gotta get me another one of those!"... nope, not happening for me. I'll give it another try in a year or so when they roll a few more batches out.

2.78/5  rDev -3.8%

Had on tap at Four Horsemen.

A- Pours a dark brown color. Since this was nitro is gave a nice light tan head that showed great retention. Tons of streaked and web lacing left on the glass.

S- The aroma is a little muted with some roasted malts coming out a little more. Light chocoalte undertones with a slight almost laco sugar like creamy scent. Hints of light grassy undertones that die once a strong metallic aroma shows on the backend. This metallic aroma really comes through when it warms.

T- Light roasted malts in the front with a hint of grassy hops. This lingers with a touch of chocolate and grain undertones. The beer loses its flavor somewhat and becomes watery toward the middle throughout the rest of the beer. Light roasted malts with hints of chocolate toward the end of the beer. Light alcohol in the ending with a strong metallic overtone in the finish. The metallic flavor gets stronger when the beer warms.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is ok for the style. Roasted malt and hints of chocolate are left on the palate. Aftertaste is light alcohol, a creamy roasted flavor, and large linger metallic overtones. Flavors were light but together well. Large metallic overtones in the ending of the beer give all the off flavor in the beer. Light alcohol drying on palate with each sip.

O- This stout while poured on nitro still seemed a little light bodied. The beer itself seems more like a mass market Guinness rip off than a craft beer. The ABV is low on this making it a good drinker. The metallic overtone kind of kills the beer for me. A drinkable average stout.

Irish Stout from Four Horsemen Brewing Company