Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

834 Happy As Ale | Blue Blood Brewery

834 Happy As Ale834 Happy As Ale
2.83/5
Poor
834 Happy As Ale834 Happy As Ale

Blue Blood Brewery
Nebraska, United States
bluebloodbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

A refreshing American Pale Ale with 4.6% Alcohol by Volume and 35 IBUs which has a great citrus flavored finish from the late hop additions. This beer is brewed using hops grown in the United States and right here in Nebraska by Rhynalds Hop Growers in Prague. The name for the beer, Happy As Ale, is because we at Blue Blood Brewing feel everyone needs a bit of happiness in their lives and our beer is an extension of our smiles which we share with anyone who needs one.

Added by scarfield on 02-04-2012

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

If i could rate it lower I would

1.23/5  rDev -56.5%

I've left 5 of a six pack in the garbage can of a state park before.

2.07/5  rDev -26.9%

Pour pretty much straight white head of foam with some light pale yellow liquid at the bottom. Overcarbonated or infected, not sure which...

Aromas begin with slightly citrusy seltzer water with emerging grainy maltiness.

Tastes begin with some light lemon and grapefruit with the same accompanying grainy maltiness. The flat seltzer water flavors emerge more as it warms.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with way too much carbonation.

Overall this may be old, a bad can or infected. I don't know, either way it's probably the worst pale ale I have ever had.

2.12/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

It sort of tastes like I bought a home brew extract kit and then I forgot to clean my equipment, or fucked something else up, so it has that off, home brew flavour. There was also some oxidation going on here. It's the Beer 30 of Nebraska Craft Beer.

2.37/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.41/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a glass from a 12 oz can.

Lightly but sufficiently carbonated. Medium golden color; pretty good clarity. Okay lacing. Not a bad looking beer.

Aroma is sweet and flowery, maybe a bit grassy. No detectable malt.

Very little body, bitter, with a sour astringent bite in the end. The sourness almost reminds me a bit of brettanomyces. Mouthfeel is harsh and not very pleasing.

I celebrate and support all of our local breweries, but I can’t get behind this beer.

2.48/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Very little head and low retention. Color was golden with a bit of orange tint. Cloudy.

Light fruit, but yeasty nose.

Light bitterness upfront and a harshness follow I wasn't expecting. A little flat.

One dimensional, lacking complexity.

Overall, not a bad beer for a brand new (and very small) brewery, but it was not the beer drinking experience I was hoping to enjoy.

2.75/5  rDev -2.8%

2.8/5  rDev -1.1%

A new brewery just popped up and I thought I'd give it a try. I dig cans. The first thing I noticed about the beer is that it seems watery. I'm all about good beers at whatever ABV but if the taste is watery then that's a different story. Look of the beer is fine. It's more ambery than pale but most pale ales are anymore. It had a little head, not much and the smell had some malt and hops in it but it wasnt' pronounced.

Well all I can really say is...well its average. Pale Ale session beer in a can...I'd actually rather have New Belgium's Shift rather than this. That said if the only choices were AB, Miller or Coors....I'd take this. Its not terrible especially from a brand spanking new brewey. Its not memorable either. What would you expect from a brewery owner by cops tho.

3.23/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast