Icelandic White Ale | Einstök Ölgerð (Einstök Beer Company)

good
Icelandic White AleIcelandic White Ale

Einstök Ölgerð (Einstök Beer Company)
Iceland
einstokbeer.com

Style: Witbier

Our quest was to make the best white ale we ever tasted, with the complex flavors of a classic witbier, all brewed with pure Icelandic water for a cool smoothness that is deliciously refreshing.

Wheat malt, pilsner malt, oats, bavarian noble hops spiced with coriander and orange peel.

Added by thepeter on 01-10-2012

2.04/5  rDev -45.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

From Saveur-Biere. In Teku glass. At dinner, with omelete + cheese + sausages sandwich. Watery lemonade, not what I expect in a wit. Soapy. Nice aspect though

2.05/5  rDev -44.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

Pours a well carbonated, very pale, slightly golden color, with a small, bubbly head.

Smells of wheat, caramel malts and a metallic copper flaw. Beneath, you can detect a whiff of malt coated flowery hops, which get almost swallowed by the malt foundation as a whole.

Has a lively carbonation, while the mouthfeel remains pleasantly soft. The beer drinks fairly easy, while it ends completely watery, with nothing else to it.

Tastes of bonbon sweet malts, together with a note of pleasant wood bark, from which flowery hops enter the palate for a short glance. Then the highly metallic carbonation numbes the tongue, ending with ice bonbons and nothing but water.

This is close the macro light beers in taste, and definitely inferior to each and every of the dislikeable industrial brewed lager, very disappointing.

2.25/5  rDev -39.5%

2.5/5  rDev -32.8%

2.51/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

2.63/5  rDev -29.3%

From bottle
pours a golden pilsner color
No cloudiness to speak of. A pilsner in appearance but hopefully true wheat comes through.
smells of pilsner maltgrasses etc is there wheat here?
Flavor is sweet pilsner
A little grassy but the predominantly sour wheat I expected from. A Scandinavia wheat is not there
decent mouth feel
OK over all over sold and under delivered

2.75/5  rDev -26.1%

2.75/5  rDev -26.1%

2.76/5  rDev -25.8%

It's listed as a wit bier, kind of weak from what I'm used to in pale ale

2.83/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Outlier detected. Justify rating with the review. Okay, here goes.

Consumed on draft at Smoke City BBQ, Sherman Oaks California, July 4th 2015.

Beer is a clear medium/light yellow. A small, creamy white head sticks around a long time.

So far, so good... uh-oh. Aromas of cotton candy and some other odd note I can't place. Not at all what a witbier should smell like.

Flavor is also way off from style. Overly sweet cotton candy mingled with diacetyl and some artificial-tasting lemon. More bitterness than anticipated. Almost a banana bread-like aftertaste. A real mess.

Mothfeel is medium bodied with adequate carbonation.

Overall, I wonder how old this keg is and how often this place cleans its lines since this beer is way off the mark

2.87/5  rDev -22.8%

I hate to go against the community, but I was unimpressed. I can appreciate subtle beer and this definitely is subtle, but I often found myself wondering if I was drinking beer flavored club soda. Personally I prefer a brighter white beer with a bit more impact. This has it's place and I would buy it again, but it just kind of struck me as "just being there".

2.95/5  rDev -20.7%

Purchase records missing.
11.2 oz bottled 16.09.16. Stored at 42 degrees and served at 42 degrees in a hand washed and dried Jester King snifter.
Aroma – initially, coriander. Short-lived and fades to nothing.
Head – large (Maximum 4.5 cm, aggressive pour), white, dense froth, average retention, diminishing to no ring and no layer, just a few areas of bubbles fed by effervescence.
Lacing – none.
Body – light yellow, clear, effervescent. Some sediment in bottle (bottle conditioned).
Flavor – Unpleasant sourness. None of the coriander or yeastiness of the typical witbier. No malt, no hops, no alcohol, no diacetyl.
Palate – light, watery, lively carbonation.

A little diacetyl would have been welcome to give some flavor to this beer and counteract the sourness. One and done.

Appearance 3, Aroma 3, Flavor 2.75, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.

2.96/5  rDev -20.4%

A mild tasting, drink all afternoon white ale. The label states made with coriander and orange. I didn't detect any of those flavors. Nevertheless, this was a refreshing drink for a hot Texas day.

I am continuing the Bottle Divestment of the Summer of 2014 and this was recently dropped off for me by my local, in-person trader, tone77. I have the Sugarcubes playing to accompany this (optional, but not for me) review.

From the bottle: "N65/W18"; "Ale Brewed with Coriander & Orange Peel"; "Bottle Conditioned - Unfiltered - Unpasteurized"; "Our quest was simple: we wanted to make the best White Ale we had ever tasted. We got there with the complex flavors of the classic witbier, including orange peel and coriander - all brewed with pure Icelandic water and a touch of oats that deliver a cool smoothness that is uniquely flavorful and refreshingly drinkable. DREKKTU. SIGRADU. ENDURTAKTU!"; "Sustainable Iceland since 874 AD".

I noticed that there was a good bit of lees on the kick of the bottle, so I agitated it and set it back in the fridge to allow the CO2 to reestablish itself in suspension. I did not want a gush of my own making when popping the cap. It still built up a good bit of CO2, leading to a bunch of head, no matter how gently I poured. I got two fluffy fingers of bone-white head upon settling and they showed decent retention. Color was a cloudy Pale Straw (SRM = 1 -2). Nose was kind of light, slightly sweet, with notes of vanilla, orange peel and a light pepper. Mouthfeel was full and creamy, thanks in great part to the carbonation. Taste was more peppery than anything else, although it had a sweet orange taste accompanying it. Finish was decent, but I just felt like it was lacking Oomph!, especially given the hype that accompanied the label.

3.02/5  rDev -18.8%

Einstök Icelandic White Ale has a very thick, spongy, stark-white head, an initially clear, gold-yellow, bubbly appearance, with lots of bubble streams and some lacing splotches on the glass. There is a descending gray-yellow cloud, once the "swish & pour" is done, yet it really does not cloud up the beer. Aroma is of mildly spiced, sweet, white bread, and the flavor is the same, with no bitterness, and mellow orange and coriander notes. Mouthfeel is medium and soft, and Einstök Icelandic White Ale finishes on the dry and drinkable side. RJT

3.08/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

Look: Super cloudy light straw gold, decent head that dissipated into lacing.

Smell: Very subtle, a hint of pepper and citrus

Taste: Surprisingly bland. There was a very slight skunk present in the first few sips, but nothing bad. I kept trying to identify flavors the entire glass, it really just didn't taste like anything. Not at all what I was expecting for a witbier.

Feel: Really good, very smooth and full with a pleasant amount of carbonation. Definitely my favorite part of drinking this beer.

Overall: I LOVE witbiers and I wanted to give this a good rating, but it really didn't taste like anything. I don't think I've ever experienced that drinking a beer before. Maybe I got a bad batch?

3.09/5  rDev -16.9%

Icelandic White Ale from Einstök Ölgerð (Einstök Beer Company)