Triple-Goddess Ginger Kombucha Beer | Unity Vibration

unityvibrationkombucha.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by MarcatGSB on 01-25-2012

4.76/5  rDev +28%

very different and sweet taste

4.75/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Cloudy pale straw color. Thin white head fizzles itself out in moments which is typical of open fermented beers. Le sigh.

Smells like tart ginger. Tastewise TGG opens up with tart, sweet lemonade like too much Crystal Light powder in the mix. The ginger heat comes in back. Refreshing as all get out. Light, granular mouthfeel like bits of ginger will get stuck in my teeth. Maybe they will.

Picked this up awhile ago for the wifey on a snowshoe trip. She loves ginger and I figured it would be either really bad or really good. It was really, really good.

4.62/5  rDev +24.2%

Definitely more kombucha than beer.

For those unfamiliar with kombucha, it's essentially a probiotic with a lot of fermentation. In the US, it's a niche beverage that is popular with the vegan and natural food crowd.

The yeast in kombucha creates a natural carbonation. This exacerbates the overflow danger when the beer is poured.

I was expecting a beer with a hint of kombucha. This brew is precisely the opposite. It tastes like genuine kombucha. I happen to enjoy kombucha, so I thought that this beer was excellent. On the other hand, my favorite beer styles are trappist ales and imperial stouts, which makes it difficult to even classify this as beer.

5/5 for kombucha lovers.

??? for beer lovers.

4.48/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Okay, I had this 'beer' at a tasting last summer. We had a bunch of high gravity beers and A LOT of different bottles. Some guy from MI was the and pulls out this bottle and I had no idea what to make of it. Io really enjoyed it so I actually sought out some people to help me get it and I finally did. Here's my review:

Take this "American Wild Ale" categorization with a grain of salt. I've had over 1500 different beers and this is about as individual as they come.

I'm not going to give you the usual L, S, T review since this is a different beast. This is fairly highly carbonated and looks like murky lemonade. Here's the kicker. This shit is REFRESHING as hell. The first time I tried a shandy, I thought it tasted like dog shit. Really terrible. This beer nails the crossover of a delicious tea/beer/malt liquor style of beverage. It's somewhat tart and sweet with the spice of the ginger really playing well with everything else. If the geniuses that had invented Zima had given it a refreshing, delicious tart/sweet combo like this beer represents, I would be happy taking a 12 pack to the beach and drinking it all day.

I LOVE this drink and if I could regularly find it, my fridge would never be without some of this in it. Try it with an open mind (and it helps if you've had a tasting with about a dozen different stouts) and this beer will really help break things up.

Well done!!!

4.44/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.38/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev +15.6%

4.27/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a faintly hazy/mostly clear tea-yellow with no head but slight visible carbonation. Nose is grassy green-tea alongside vinegar and lemon. The palate is outstanding earthy sour with tons of unexpected vinegar. It's like they made a white Flanders Red. The ginger is subtle, but present, and it's that subdued nature, one that lets the hops, vinegar, and lemon and green tea elements come to the fore that makes this beer. I'm genuinely impressed. Will absolutely stop by this brewery the next time I'm in the Ann Arbor area.

4.26/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had this last week at Bill's Beer Garden (really my favorite kind of garden) in A2 and I really had no idea what to expect.

Wow! It was really interesting, and hard to describe- you really taste the ginger, which is great, but then there all these side notes- citrusy hops, yeasty tang, a little bit of crisp bitterness, but also balanced with some floral notes and sweetness- I have a feeling that each bottle/batch is a little bit different, so it might make for some interesting explorations.

A lot of folks have said there isn't a lot of head, which I found to be true, but I was raised on English bitters, and "real ale", which usually haven't much head anyway, so it bothered me not at all.

The mouth feel reminded me of a cross twixt a hefe-weizen and a pale ale, with a little more density/body than I'd have liked, but was quite pleasant.

My only (minor) complaint would be that there was perhaps a little too much residual sugar , which (as noted) gave it a heavier feel and sweeter taste (albeit with a fairly clean and dry finish, considering) than I prefer.

This probably not a session ale, but maybe a good end-of-the-nighter or one to have on Sunday after cutting the lawn...

On the whole, I would definitely say this brew rocked it pretty heavily, and I would definitely look forward to the next one!

4.26/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured pale mint green, hazy with a thin, shot lived head, and lazy carbonation.

Aroma of ginger and lime

Tart lime, ginger with a long tart finish. Light bitterness and sweetness keep balance.

Light body, with some alcohol, and a silk texture. Thirst quenching, a refreshing.

This is one of those pleasant surprises, that I will seek out in the future. Nice relaxing beer for a warm sunny Sumer afternoon.

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It smells like a mild ginger kombucha with tart funky fruit in the bakcground. It tastes tart and funky, and lightly sweet. The ginger comes through nicely providing both flavor and a mild ginger heat. Lemon and orange mix with the ginger to tone down the kombucha character slightly. The alcohol is barely noticeable. It is light and highly effervescent. While on the edges of beer territory, it is light, refreshing and easy to drink. This will especially appeal to those who like kombucha, are looking for gluten free beer or want something vegan.

4.21/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

WOW! This is definitely unusual. Refreshing. Zesty. Is it beer? I'm not sure, but it would be refreshing on a hot summer day. Has a lot of zip and tang, not cloying at all. The label says 'wild ale', perhaps implying a lambic-like airborne yeast? Not sure, but it does have some of the tang of a lambic. I like it as a change of pace.

4.17/5  rDev +12.1%

Similar tartness to an Organic Apple Cider Vinegar health drink. Very minor carbonation. Ginger not strong. Refreshing, bright.

4.08/5  rDev +9.7%

This is an interesting combination. Fizzy, herbal, and with a mildly unpleasant nose. The taste, though, works quite well. It is not a traditional beer or ale, though, so if you're judging it by those standards you might be disappointed. I would say a prerequisite is liking kombucha in general. It is listed at 8%, but doesn't taste or feel like something that storing. Also, the flavor difference between the the ginger, bourbon peach, and raspberry is very subtle, with the kombucha taste dominating all. I suggest avoiding their KPA, which is downright unpleasant. Lastly, these are more of a "one and done" beverages, not so much because of the alcohol but because of the herbal, nearly medicinal feel of it. Overall, I love them as an alternative to typical beers.

Triple-Goddess Ginger Kombucha Beer from Unity Vibration