Bourbon Peach | Unity Vibration

Unity Vibration
unityvibrationkombucha.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by merc7186 on 05-29-2013

One of my very favorites. This is a real treat. I must admit a bias to you that I love n adore Kombucha. I purchase different company's bottled non alcoholic weekly... As well have my own Kombucha at home that I make my own recipes from. So needless to say this is my new favorite type of beer.

4.51/5  rDev +41.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +41.5%

S: It smells like kombucha and a wild ale. There is lactobacillus, some vinegar, a hint of grain, some peach and a hint of bourbon.

L: In the glass it looks like kombucha. the initial fizz disappears quickly to a hazy gold elixir with no trace of head.

T: The palate tastes like beer and kombucha and after a moment you realize that this is a good thing. The lemony, lactobacillus, vinegary tartness balances the peach sweetness. The bourbon is in there and while it is not very big it adds complexity and balances the kombucha aspects. The beer aspect tones down the Kombucha bite a little bit and makes it more drinkable. The peach flavors are medium to medium high. It has a sweetness not found in Kombucha from the peaches and this is a definite plus. There is a trace of bourbon barrel in the background that provides some tannin and a faint hint of vanilla.

F: The body is light to medium light and the carbonation is high with a softened kombucha bite.

O: This beer is not for everyone. It lacks the complexity of a good lambic. Kombucha fans will like this beer as will people who need gluten free or vegan beer. Drinkers wanting a "normal" beer will probably consider this a drain pour.

4.5/5  rDev +41.5%

This is fantastic! I don't understand all the low ratings. No, it doesn't taste like other beers which it shouldn't; it is a wild ale. It is phenomenal in taste and quite impressive that these flavors could pair together so well. Super sweet and peachy up front, tart in the middle, slight tea flavor at the end.

4.3/5  rDev +35.2%

4.29/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.28/5  rDev +34.6%

4.21/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Smells awful, but tastes fantastic! Sweet peach up front, nice tartness on the back end. Glad I went outside my normal judgement to try this.

4.19/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Perfectly effervescent, tart with layers of peach. It tastes life sparkling wine in a way, and pairs well with food. I like kombucha so maybe I am biased.

4.17/5  rDev +31.1%

A pail, straw/green with light chill haze produces a quick fizzy white head that leave no lacing in a flute glass.

This has a fresh, sweet-tart aroma, with subtle peach and lime. The lime intensifies with warmth, while faint vinegar and straw come out. Overall, there is a background of oak.

Freshness seems to be the theme here, with subtle fermented peach, and a hint of grapefruit. The tartness adds decent puckering. Sweetness is extreme, clearly adding to the puckering more that the tartness does. The finish is long, and subtlety numbing. While some bourbon is present, one needs to hunt for it. Fresh sliced ginger and oak are prominent players.

The body is light to medium, with an oddly syrupy-cotton texture. Alcohol is about as expected, and the carbonation is vibrant and prickly.

One can easily argue this is not a true beer, but regardless, it is refreshing. Probably best as a palate cleansing desert on a hot summer day. As for the stated style, I think it more closely resembles a Berliner Weiss, than an American Wild Ale, but neither really fit. This can be an occasional treat, which one can easily consume. I reviewed this per my personal enjoyment, rather than to style.

4.16/5  rDev +30.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I'm not sure a lot of reviewers understand that this isn't technically beer... it's gluten free because it has no grain at all! In fact I didn't even expect to find this on BA. But now I'm learning there are alcoholic ginger beers on this site as well, which in my opinion (delicious as they can be) are not technically beers. (Fermented grain, anyone??)

It seems as if some reviewers have taken to it like a sour, that is the closest beer approximation, but if you don't like kombucha (fermented tea) to begin with, I don't see you liking this "beer".

Anyway, I loved it. The alcohol is masked quite well. The strongest flavors are the tangy-tart vinegar qualities of the kombucha followed by a blast of sweet peach. The bourbon influence hits you towards the end. It's unmistakeable but rather absurd at first. It didn't meld with me until a few sips in. (The same way The Anvil Bourbon Cider worked its magic on me.) It could tone down its sweetness and be perfect. Looking forward to trying more from Unity! But don't mistake it, it's not exactly what we call beer...

4.07/5  rDev +28%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I believe this to be a case where the scores on BA are deceiving. This is a unique sour that I would recommend to seek. The bubbles were so excited to get out that they jumped onto to my kitchen floor. This is a hazard of wild ales. The ale was poured into a tulip as a nice yellow color. The aroma was the least pleasing part of the beer. Vinegary like most sours, the aroma also resembled a mediciny peach. On the initial taste, one gets the acidity of a sour, bubbly peach, woody bourbon, and a mild hint of something like diet cola. The tea notes are also present. In the aftertaste, one detects a tart apple acidity. I thought the texture was a little thick for a wild. Based on the carbonation exploding from the bottle, this is fairly surprising. The benefit of this is that extra staying power is gives to the taste. Overall, I thought this beer is quite nice and apparently victimized by bad reviews.

4.05/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

it does have a very vingary smell but i love this. its like spiked peach juice. bourbon flavor doesn't blend perfectly with the peach flavor but the 2 do compliment each other enough to not make this overly funky. different but very tasty

4.05/5  rDev +27.4%

From Blind Bif 8. Bottle marked <8% and poured into my rinsed out snifter. Once more into the brink!

Poured pale, pale cloudy yellow. Looks like lemon juice. No real lasting head. Damn this looks like lemonade. (4)

I smelled the bottle before pouring and audibly proclaimed “What the fuck!” Smells sour and funky and delicious. Thinking this is a Berliner Weisse from smell and appearance. It’s got a lot of vinegar and also lemon/citrus. It also smells like sugar, not just sweet, actual sugar. (4)

Oh man. This is sweeet, but also sour. Like odd lemonade that is presumably alcoholic. Although I guess 0 is < 8%, which is the only clue I have to go on. There is some slight wheat at the back end, which makes me again assume Berliner Weisse. The sweetness of it is kind of unusual though, I haven’t had an unfruited Berliner this sweet. I’m not sure there’s any fruit in here, though, unless it is lemon. I love me some lemonade though. Should have started with this today, great way to beat the heat (4.25).

Smooth, but with a little carbonation prickle. Light and nice and simple. (4)

It doesn’t quite taste like a Berliner, mostly because of the sweetness. It really just tastes like lemonade, heavy on the sugar, fermented as a beer. As a fan of sweet, but also sour beers, I’m a fan. Damn this is sour though. Not sure most people would like this. (3.75)

This is a 22oz bomber. I haven’t had Oarsman from Bell’s, so I was leaning towards that, but that only comes in 12oz from what I can see. I think New Glarus Berliner Weisse, another Midwest brew, is 12oz too. I don’t know any other Midwest Berliners… so stumped again. Damn you Abraxel.

The reveal…holy shit! From Unity Vibration, this is their Bourbon Peach Kombucha beer! I don’t think I’ve ever had Kombucha before, so that definitely was a hindrance in picking out that flavor, haha. What an interesting beer. I don’t get much bourbon, even after knowing it’s there. Maybe it contributes to the sweetness, certainly the alcohol content. That 7% was a bit surprising! Peach I can get behind, although it’s a very citrusy peachiness, since there’s a definite wild sourness component, but I can pick it out now. It’s like a peach iced tea with citric acid poured into it. Thank you, Abraxel for this great blind choice!

Bourbon Peach from Unity Vibration