Bourbon Peach | Unity Vibration

Added by merc7186 on 05-29-2013

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 31 | Ratings: 159
3.77/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours cloudy, bright yellow in color with 1/4 inch head that goes quickly. Taste is sweet peaches, oranges, and vinegar..super faint bourbon on the finish. Sharp and prickly carbonation with dryness that is coming from the bourbon. Tastes like an above average sweet and sour ale. There are others I prefer, but this makes for a tasty, juicy, summer beer.

2.33/5  rDev -25.3%

Oh man, this was a disaster. Smelled of extremely potent vinegar, almost made me cough. Taste was okay, but the smell was so bad I had to drainpour. I had a different Kombucha beer from these guys at a beer fest and absolutely loved it. Not sure if this is spoiled or what happened but very disappointed.

4.19/5  rDev +34.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Perfectly effervescent, tart with layers of peach. It tastes life sparkling wine in a way, and pairs well with food. I like kombucha so maybe I am biased.

4.5/5  rDev +44.2%

This is fantastic! I don't understand all the low ratings. No, it doesn't taste like other beers which it shouldn't; it is a wild ale. It is phenomenal in taste and quite impressive that these flavors could pair together so well. Super sweet and peachy up front, tart in the middle, slight tea flavor at the end.

3.82/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: Very pale and hazy straw yellow. The head recedes to a slight ring around the top and wispy lacing.
smell: Pungent vinegary funk with some citrus. Mostly dry. Not getting any bourbon.
taste: Much better than the nose. Frankly, tastes like Peach soda with some hints of vanilla and a hint of funk. Alcohol well hidden.
overall: This is different to be sure. Never had Kombucha so not sure what tastes to look for there.

3.4/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz B, Kill date 03/04/16, Enjoyed 10/14/15

A: Clear light straw color, quick white head, lots of carbonation bubbles

S: Vinegar, sweet floral, peach, white grape?,

T: Vinegar, peachy, floral, tart fruity, slight ginger

M: Light body with lots of carbonation

O: Pronounced vinegar taste, which I like. Possibly the bourbon coming through with the tartness of the fruit.

4.17/5  rDev +33.7%

A pail, straw/green with light chill haze produces a quick fizzy white head that leave no lacing in a flute glass.

This has a fresh, sweet-tart aroma, with subtle peach and lime. The lime intensifies with warmth, while faint vinegar and straw come out. Overall, there is a background of oak.

Freshness seems to be the theme here, with subtle fermented peach, and a hint of grapefruit. The tartness adds decent puckering. Sweetness is extreme, clearly adding to the puckering more that the tartness does. The finish is long, and subtlety numbing. While some bourbon is present, one needs to hunt for it. Fresh sliced ginger and oak are prominent players.

The body is light to medium, with an oddly syrupy-cotton texture. Alcohol is about as expected, and the carbonation is vibrant and prickly.

One can easily argue this is not a true beer, but regardless, it is refreshing. Probably best as a palate cleansing desert on a hot summer day. As for the stated style, I think it more closely resembles a Berliner Weiss, than an American Wild Ale, but neither really fit. This can be an occasional treat, which one can easily consume. I reviewed this per my personal enjoyment, rather than to style.

3.9/5  rDev +25%

With managed expectations, this is a better beer than the ratings to date show. Doesn't drink like 8% and has nice bourbon and peach flavors shining through. I've had kombucha beer blends before so I had an idea of what I was getting into and I was pleasantly surprised. Great to see these guys thinking pushing boundaries. That said, I'm good for about 6 ounces of it

3.47/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very blond with a slight haze. Medium level carbonation leaving slight ring on glass. Some peach in nose with the vanilla of the barrel coming in far on the back.
Unique. And can go down quite easily, because it's really just a barrel aged alco-pop, and it hides its alcohol very well. This mixed in with kombucha makes for a vinegary tart, refreshing summer beverage.

This is not a beer. This is strong kombucha. No grain, hops, anything. Why is this on the site and why does it say beer on the bottle? Even as a kombucha it is absolutely disgusting.

4.05/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

it does have a very vingary smell but i love this. its like spiked peach juice. bourbon flavor doesn't blend perfectly with the peach flavor but the 2 do compliment each other enough to not make this overly funky. different but very tasty

2.87/5  rDev -8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Cloyingly sweet, unbalanced, nice acidity, pale as all get out, almost feet aroma with a little acid in there as well. Not the best sour I've had before. I didn't get any barrel character except maybe some vanilla. The kombucha tea was VERY acetic acid heavy and overpowering. The vinegar was just way too much for me. The peaches were like a syrupy cold white peach juice drink, not really fresh. I don't know if they used the peach pits but there should have been some almond presence if they did. Meh...

1.13/5  rDev -63.8%

This is the most awful thing I have ever tasted. Aroma is dominated by vinegar. I couldn't get past the smell to determine if the taste was anything better than awful. This brewery should be ashamed to even think about bottling this and selling it. It was a drain pour for me and should have been for the brewery also.

2.19/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

The taste is not all that horrible, kind of a sweet/sour thing going on but the smell is just obnoxiously overpowering with vinegar and nail polish remover. I could not detect any barrel character in this beer either.

1.33/5  rDev -57.4%

One of the worst things I've ever put in my mouth. It tasted like peach scented febreeze mixed with nail polish remover. A real acetone bomb. I felt the sting of the acetone in my mouth. Unless you love ticking horrible beers or are a huge fan of gluten free or kombucha beers avoid like the plague.

3.29/5  rDev +5.4%

A-Poured into a stemless wine glass, looks like cheap wine. Frothy urine color with a weird head.

S-this smells so bad. Farts, vinegar, acetone and fake and each flavor.

T-cheap tasty wine, something I would drink in my younger years. Fake peach fruity wine, it's kind of good.

M-real nice crisp mouthfeel with just a tingle of bubbles on the tongue.

O-what a weird beer. It smells so bad that I can barely drink it but it is refreshing. Drink this with a straw, whatever the hell this is

1.59/5  rDev -49%

Tastes like super sour kombucha. It gave me horrible heart burn, I was vurping all night. If you like bile mixed with vinegar, give it a shot. On the upside, this was BY FAR the best kombucha beer I've ever had, and I've had a few. Disgusting (I love regular kombucha by the way).

3.51/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The first time I had this it was on draught. Didn't really care for it, approaching it like a beer. Shut up. This is nothing like beer. It is however a delicious and complex fermented beverage. I've tried it twice since, both times in bottle and I have come to appreciate it more each time. As the Irishman said as he kissed his cow, "to each his own".

2.1/5  rDev -32.7%

Kombucha shouldn't be used in beers. This was overwhelming to all my senses, from an overtly pungent nose, to a mess on the palate with peach and kombucha, to a minimal watery bourbon notes.

2.63/5  rDev -15.7%

This might be the worst thing I have ever tasted. The peaches tasted rotten and the bourbon must have been the cheapest out there. Stay away from this beer

One of my very favorites. This is a real treat. I must admit a bias to you that I love n adore Kombucha. I purchase different company's bottled non alcoholic weekly... As well have my own Kombucha at home that I make my own recipes from. So needless to say this is my new favorite type of beer.

1.42/5  rDev -54.5%

This is wretched. Smells and tastes like a bottle of nail polish remover. The acetone is out of control. It pours mostly flat and a pale clear, uh, peach hue that looks fairly standard, but one whiff will melt your nose hairs. I managed to a few sips and was able to suss out a bit of peach coming through, but this was noxious. No hint of interesting sour complexity I'd expect from kombucha, no bourbon, just acetone.

Undrinkable.

4.16/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I'm not sure a lot of reviewers understand that this isn't technically beer... it's gluten free because it has no grain at all! In fact I didn't even expect to find this on BA. But now I'm learning there are alcoholic ginger beers on this site as well, which in my opinion (delicious as they can be) are not technically beers. (Fermented grain, anyone??)

It seems as if some reviewers have taken to it like a sour, that is the closest beer approximation, but if you don't like kombucha (fermented tea) to begin with, I don't see you liking this "beer".

Anyway, I loved it. The alcohol is masked quite well. The strongest flavors are the tangy-tart vinegar qualities of the kombucha followed by a blast of sweet peach. The bourbon influence hits you towards the end. It's unmistakeable but rather absurd at first. It didn't meld with me until a few sips in. (The same way The Anvil Bourbon Cider worked its magic on me.) It could tone down its sweetness and be perfect. Looking forward to trying more from Unity! But don't mistake it, it's not exactly what we call beer...

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

A - Very pale, like very pale apple juice, and murky. No head, just a little cling. Hope it is not flat.

S - Sweet fruit, wood, sour tart nose.

T - Oh, yea, carbonated. And pretty tasty. Very sweet, like a mead, with a slight wild side.

M - Medium body, good carb and balance.

D - One and done. Pleasant enough.

2.75/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured a nice translucent cloudy yellow with no real head to speak off. It looked like a nice Berliner Weisse, very appealing. Scents of sour, lactic funk, reminiscent of a Berliner Weisse, very light acetone, hints of oak and light hints of peach. Overall impression of aroma is of a rather odd, yet faintly familiar wild ale aroma that has a few off-aromas that are not appealing. Still decent, but not amazing. Flavor begins sweet with notes of peach, sugar and honey and a light presence of vinegar and moderate sour funk, lactic in character. This moves into a middle with notes of oak, a faint acetone flavor and peach and honey-like sweetness. Finish is sweet, with a continuing peach and honey sweetness, a sour, acidic funk, oak woodiness and a slight acetone off-flavor. Aftertaste is sweet peach juice and sour fruit. Overall impression of flavor is of a fruity, sour ale with a nice oak flavor, but an unfortunate acetone off-flavor. Fairly good base flavor, brought down by an off-flavor. Mouthfeel is light bodied and acidic in feel with effervescent carbonation and a drying, puckering finish. Overall impression of mouthfeel is of a very well done sour, true to form for the style, but perhaps a bit acidic. Overall this is an okay American Wild Ale, with a nice aroma and flavor brought down by an unwelcome off-flavor and a mouthfeel that is just a bit too acidic. Not the worst beer I've ever tasted, but it is fairly poor for the style.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast