Bourbon Peach | Unity Vibration

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by merc7186 on 05-29-2013

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 31 | Ratings: 159

This is not a beer. This is strong kombucha. No grain, hops, anything. Why is this on the site and why does it say beer on the bottle? Even as a kombucha it is absolutely disgusting.

1.13/5  rDev -63.8%

This is the most awful thing I have ever tasted. Aroma is dominated by vinegar. I couldn't get past the smell to determine if the taste was anything better than awful. This brewery should be ashamed to even think about bottling this and selling it. It was a drain pour for me and should have been for the brewery also.

1.33/5  rDev -57.4%

One of the worst things I've ever put in my mouth. It tasted like peach scented febreeze mixed with nail polish remover. A real acetone bomb. I felt the sting of the acetone in my mouth. Unless you love ticking horrible beers or are a huge fan of gluten free or kombucha beers avoid like the plague.

1.42/5  rDev -54.5%

This is wretched. Smells and tastes like a bottle of nail polish remover. The acetone is out of control. It pours mostly flat and a pale clear, uh, peach hue that looks fairly standard, but one whiff will melt your nose hairs. I managed to a few sips and was able to suss out a bit of peach coming through, but this was noxious. No hint of interesting sour complexity I'd expect from kombucha, no bourbon, just acetone.

Undrinkable.

1.59/5  rDev -49%

Tastes like super sour kombucha. It gave me horrible heart burn, I was vurping all night. If you like bile mixed with vinegar, give it a shot. On the upside, this was BY FAR the best kombucha beer I've ever had, and I've had a few. Disgusting (I love regular kombucha by the way).

1.62/5  rDev -48.1%

Looks like a really interesting beer, wild with Brett, peaches, and bourbon, gotta be interesting even if it is gluten free. I like the little sticker they throw on it, I'm guessing best before, with date 10/08/14

One of the worst eruptions ever in a beer, it was literally exploding out of the top of the bottle and I got showered, as well as the computer and everything around me, which now smell like vinegar thanks to this shitty infected beer. When I finally get back to it, there is no head on the small amount of beer left, literally like 2 fingers of beer and that's it. Murky hazy banana straw color.

Nose is vinegar and sour infection, plastic and drain cleaner chemicals, paint thinner, lots of acid and pure badness. Maybe ahint of fruity peach but that's about it.

Taste, not sure if I want to... Starts really sweet, candy sweet, with some fruity canned peach flavors, but then just lots and lots of vinegar and sour infection, acid, lots of vinegar and acetic acid, with some paint thinner and bad chemicals, really bad.

Mouth is, I give up, not even gonna continue. I rarely do this but I'm going to demand my money back for this horrible horrible waste of existance.

2.1/5  rDev -32.7%

Kombucha shouldn't be used in beers. This was overwhelming to all my senses, from an overtly pungent nose, to a mess on the palate with peach and kombucha, to a minimal watery bourbon notes.

2.19/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

The taste is not all that horrible, kind of a sweet/sour thing going on but the smell is just obnoxiously overpowering with vinegar and nail polish remover. I could not detect any barrel character in this beer either.

2.33/5  rDev -25.3%

Oh man, this was a disaster. Smelled of extremely potent vinegar, almost made me cough. Taste was okay, but the smell was so bad I had to drainpour. I had a different Kombucha beer from these guys at a beer fest and absolutely loved it. Not sure if this is spoiled or what happened but very disappointed.

2.63/5  rDev -15.7%

This might be the worst thing I have ever tasted. The peaches tasted rotten and the bourbon must have been the cheapest out there. Stay away from this beer

2.75/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured a nice translucent cloudy yellow with no real head to speak off. It looked like a nice Berliner Weisse, very appealing. Scents of sour, lactic funk, reminiscent of a Berliner Weisse, very light acetone, hints of oak and light hints of peach. Overall impression of aroma is of a rather odd, yet faintly familiar wild ale aroma that has a few off-aromas that are not appealing. Still decent, but not amazing. Flavor begins sweet with notes of peach, sugar and honey and a light presence of vinegar and moderate sour funk, lactic in character. This moves into a middle with notes of oak, a faint acetone flavor and peach and honey-like sweetness. Finish is sweet, with a continuing peach and honey sweetness, a sour, acidic funk, oak woodiness and a slight acetone off-flavor. Aftertaste is sweet peach juice and sour fruit. Overall impression of flavor is of a fruity, sour ale with a nice oak flavor, but an unfortunate acetone off-flavor. Fairly good base flavor, brought down by an off-flavor. Mouthfeel is light bodied and acidic in feel with effervescent carbonation and a drying, puckering finish. Overall impression of mouthfeel is of a very well done sour, true to form for the style, but perhaps a bit acidic. Overall this is an okay American Wild Ale, with a nice aroma and flavor brought down by an unwelcome off-flavor and a mouthfeel that is just a bit too acidic. Not the worst beer I've ever tasted, but it is fairly poor for the style.

2.87/5  rDev -8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Cloyingly sweet, unbalanced, nice acidity, pale as all get out, almost feet aroma with a little acid in there as well. Not the best sour I've had before. I didn't get any barrel character except maybe some vanilla. The kombucha tea was VERY acetic acid heavy and overpowering. The vinegar was just way too much for me. The peaches were like a syrupy cold white peach juice drink, not really fresh. I don't know if they used the peach pits but there should have been some almond presence if they did. Meh...

3.29/5  rDev +5.4%

A-Poured into a stemless wine glass, looks like cheap wine. Frothy urine color with a weird head.

S-this smells so bad. Farts, vinegar, acetone and fake and each flavor.

T-cheap tasty wine, something I would drink in my younger years. Fake peach fruity wine, it's kind of good.

M-real nice crisp mouthfeel with just a tingle of bubbles on the tongue.

O-what a weird beer. It smells so bad that I can barely drink it but it is refreshing. Drink this with a straw, whatever the hell this is

3.34/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a tulip at Decofest, thanks to Dan for sharing!
Quick review from written notes.

Pale and hazy, pastel lemon color. Thin layer of white foam fades fast to a thin ring around the edges. Minimal spotty lace.

Lemon cookie aroma, light citrus.

Mildly tart with a sharp vinegary twang form the kombucha, some sweetness, maybe from the peach, but not much in the way of defined peach taste, more like wafer candy. Lower carbonation, juice-like. Overall interesting to try, but I wouldn't drink a whole bottle myself.

3.35/5  rDev +7.4%

22 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. My first encounter with a legitimate kombucha beer, and I couldn't be more excited. I probably bought the least accessible of the bunch that I saw at Binny's, but whatever. I love kombucha, and I love beer, so the results here are bound to be interesting. "Made in Michigan".

Poured into a clear balloon snifter glass.

A - Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. My first encounter with a legitimate "gusher" of a beer, this thing sprayed champagne like bubbles and liquid all over my table and my phone. Aside from that, after the bubbles settle, the actual body of the beer is a pale straw lemon color with some tiny specks of dark sediment lingering at the bottom. Steady bubbles geysering to the top of the glass. Active & alive appearance.

S - Smell is deceiving, and when paired with the appearance, almost made me think twice about drinking this one. A sour, tart, stale vinegar aroma. Maybe some sun-dried peach / apricot in there also. An off-putting aroma, but I've learned from drinking actual kombucha not to let that deceive you. It mostly just smells like easter egg dye, to me.

T - Taste is a step up from the sticky appearance and lousy aroma. Authentic fresh tart peach juice, crisp carbonation, kombucha-esque bacterial cultures, white sugar, and vinegar. Not really pulling out any bourbon barrel flavors, sadly enough. Alcohol is very well hidden; it tastes almost like a regular kombucha.

M - Feel ends fruity, sticky, sugary, and sweet. Clearly there was tons of carbonation in my beer, and not flat, like others have noted. A happy ending to what began as a disaster.

Overall, I'd say it is a nice middle ground for kombucha and beer lovers, like myself. Clearly this wasn't the most "accessible" of the bunch, but it is definitely a unique beer experience. Definitely recommended to all odd beer lovers, and lovers of kombucha as well. Looking forward to trying the others.

Unity Vibration Bourbon Peach ---3.5/5

3.4/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz B, Kill date 03/04/16, Enjoyed 10/14/15

A: Clear light straw color, quick white head, lots of carbonation bubbles

S: Vinegar, sweet floral, peach, white grape?,

T: Vinegar, peachy, floral, tart fruity, slight ginger

M: Light body with lots of carbonation

O: Pronounced vinegar taste, which I like. Possibly the bourbon coming through with the tartness of the fruit.

3.47/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very blond with a slight haze. Medium level carbonation leaving slight ring on glass. Some peach in nose with the vanilla of the barrel coming in far on the back.
Unique. And can go down quite easily, because it's really just a barrel aged alco-pop, and it hides its alcohol very well. This mixed in with kombucha makes for a vinegary tart, refreshing summer beverage.

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

A - Very pale, like very pale apple juice, and murky. No head, just a little cling. Hope it is not flat.

S - Sweet fruit, wood, sour tart nose.

T - Oh, yea, carbonated. And pretty tasty. Very sweet, like a mead, with a slight wild side.

M - Medium body, good carb and balance.

D - One and done. Pleasant enough.

3.51/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The first time I had this it was on draught. Didn't really care for it, approaching it like a beer. Shut up. This is nothing like beer. It is however a delicious and complex fermented beverage. I've tried it twice since, both times in bottle and I have come to appreciate it more each time. As the Irishman said as he kissed his cow, "to each his own".

3.77/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours cloudy, bright yellow in color with 1/4 inch head that goes quickly. Taste is sweet peaches, oranges, and vinegar..super faint bourbon on the finish. Sharp and prickly carbonation with dryness that is coming from the bourbon. Tastes like an above average sweet and sour ale. There are others I prefer, but this makes for a tasty, juicy, summer beer.

3.8/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle split and poured into a tulip. Best by 04/23/14.

A: Pours a hazy light straw yellow with no head. Leaves a lot of bubbles on the sides. No real lacing.

S: Sweet blend of bourbon and peach. Has a sour aspect to it as well with a fruity Brett yeast characteristic. Mild in most departments, peach is the strongest on the nose. Almost an oakiness.

T: Quite a complex flavor going o here. Obvious peach, bourbon gives you a kick, and sour brings up the rear. There is a lot of sweetness as well. Sort of reminds me of a flavored malt liquor mixed with a tasty sour beer.

M: Light body with pretty high carbonation. A bit of stickiness to it from all the sweetness. Very crisp yet certainly a sipper.

Overall an enjoyable beer that is definitely worth a try. Not sure if the bourbon compliments the sour aspect of this beer but i enjoy the approach.

3.82/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: Very pale and hazy straw yellow. The head recedes to a slight ring around the top and wispy lacing.
smell: Pungent vinegary funk with some citrus. Mostly dry. Not getting any bourbon.
taste: Much better than the nose. Frankly, tastes like Peach soda with some hints of vanilla and a hint of funk. Alcohol well hidden.
overall: This is different to be sure. Never had Kombucha so not sure what tastes to look for there.

3.9/5  rDev +25%

With managed expectations, this is a better beer than the ratings to date show. Doesn't drink like 8% and has nice bourbon and peach flavors shining through. I've had kombucha beer blends before so I had an idea of what I was getting into and I was pleasantly surprised. Great to see these guys thinking pushing boundaries. That said, I'm good for about 6 ounces of it

4.05/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

it does have a very vingary smell but i love this. its like spiked peach juice. bourbon flavor doesn't blend perfectly with the peach flavor but the 2 do compliment each other enough to not make this overly funky. different but very tasty

4.05/5  rDev +29.8%

From Blind Bif 8. Bottle marked <8% and poured into my rinsed out snifter. Once more into the brink!

Poured pale, pale cloudy yellow. Looks like lemon juice. No real lasting head. Damn this looks like lemonade. (4)

I smelled the bottle before pouring and audibly proclaimed “What the fuck!” Smells sour and funky and delicious. Thinking this is a Berliner Weisse from smell and appearance. It’s got a lot of vinegar and also lemon/citrus. It also smells like sugar, not just sweet, actual sugar. (4)

Oh man. This is sweeet, but also sour. Like odd lemonade that is presumably alcoholic. Although I guess 0 is < 8%, which is the only clue I have to go on. There is some slight wheat at the back end, which makes me again assume Berliner Weisse. The sweetness of it is kind of unusual though, I haven’t had an unfruited Berliner this sweet. I’m not sure there’s any fruit in here, though, unless it is lemon. I love me some lemonade though. Should have started with this today, great way to beat the heat (4.25).

Smooth, but with a little carbonation prickle. Light and nice and simple. (4)

It doesn’t quite taste like a Berliner, mostly because of the sweetness. It really just tastes like lemonade, heavy on the sugar, fermented as a beer. As a fan of sweet, but also sour beers, I’m a fan. Damn this is sour though. Not sure most people would like this. (3.75)

This is a 22oz bomber. I haven’t had Oarsman from Bell’s, so I was leaning towards that, but that only comes in 12oz from what I can see. I think New Glarus Berliner Weisse, another Midwest brew, is 12oz too. I don’t know any other Midwest Berliners… so stumped again. Damn you Abraxel.

The reveal…holy shit! From Unity Vibration, this is their Bourbon Peach Kombucha beer! I don’t think I’ve ever had Kombucha before, so that definitely was a hindrance in picking out that flavor, haha. What an interesting beer. I don’t get much bourbon, even after knowing it’s there. Maybe it contributes to the sweetness, certainly the alcohol content. That 7% was a bit surprising! Peach I can get behind, although it’s a very citrusy peachiness, since there’s a definite wild sourness component, but I can pick it out now. It’s like a peach iced tea with citric acid poured into it. Thank you, Abraxel for this great blind choice!

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast