The Wise Man

From:
4 Hands Brewing Co.

Missouri, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Notes: Aged in rum barrels
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 11 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.02/5  rDev +1.3%

The color is dark brown with lots of heavy sediment and a fingernail of beige. The aroma is of sweet light rum and light pale wheat. I'm tasting sweet light malt. The mouth is thick, chewy, and sticky malt.

2.97/5  rDev -25.2%

Thanks to Budha (only one ‘d’) for this 22 oz. bottle, as I continue my quest to ingest every wheatwine on the planet. Split with my wheat-skeptical wife.

Orange, & I should have only poured 18 ounces, because the last few are speckled with solids. Sweetness, toffee, & vanilla are detected only after a concerted effort. I’m tired now. I don’t want to do lung bench-presses to get something off the surface of my beer.

The Wise Man is so neutral I’m tempted to do a taste-test against my tap water. Where to start? Swimming in the water that makes up most of any beer are tiny molecules of rum (I think that’s what the numbing boozeiness is), lots of sugar, a wheat kernel or two. The only taste that’s readily evident is some vanilla toffee once it gets close to room temperature. Sticky. Half a bomber is about right.

Not good, not bad, this is the beer that keeps telling you stories about it’s glory days on the high school yearbook committee. Mediocre.

4.04/5  rDev +1.8%

L: pours thick like syrup. It's the color of copper with no head
S: slight rum, mostly alcohol sweetness.
T: big sweetness, slight alcohol from the barrel
F: medium thickness, smooth
O: a good beer, but nothing to trade for.

3.81/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours dark golenrod. Nice rum on the nose. The taste however is a let down for me. The sweetness is maskes by the rum taste and not enhanced. There is a woody bitterness on the aftertase as well.

The Wise Man from 4 Hands Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 88 out of 100 with 11 ratings