Divided Sky Rye IPA | 4 Hands Brewing Co.

Divided Sky Rye IPADivided Sky Rye IPA

4 Hands Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
4handsbrewery.com

Style: American IPA

This beer brings together tow of our favorite ingredients; hops and rye - serious hops up front provide a pungent, floral, and citrus character. We use centennial, Columbus, and Cascades in this hop lovers dream. The rye provides a slightly spicy flavor and a full mouth-feel. Divided Sky pours straw in color with notes of tangerine, grapefruit, and pine. Drink fresh!

Added by JoEBoBpr on 12-21-2011

4.24/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.56/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A thanks goes out to the commander of the canquest, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts, citrus. Taste is smooth and balanced malts and hops, some citrus, rye, bitterness. Feels medium/full bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

4.11/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.79/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A straw color with a touch of gold. Nice frothy white head. Pleasant but not overpowering juicy citrus aroma. A creamy mouthfeel, with a taste of citrus and slightly spicy rye, though it's not super prominent given its name. I have seen this around for quite a while and was curious about it because I like rye beers. Reviews were mixed but suggested it was my kind of beer: I love malty IPAs. But when I went to buy it, I saw that we were approaching the enjoy by date. Bought it anyway. Enjoyed it but the hops were seriously muted. I suspect that when fresh, this is a beauty. But based on what I drank, it's a pretty good beer that I will buy again only if it's fresher.

4.04/5  rDev +4.1%

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pour is a clear orange, very light Amber with foamy white head.
Smell is fantastic when it warms. Initially pine takes over, with plenty of wet tropical notes. Mango, papaya and melon.
Taste doesn't carryover with the fantastic tropical notes. More biscuit maltiness with some slight hop resin.
Mouthfeel is moderately carbonated, very dry.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.89/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured a Light copper color. Taste was super heavy on the hops. Rye comes in late and works to round off the edge towards the end of a tasting experience that is otherwise typical of a nice, modern, hopped up ipa.

3.89/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.71/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.29/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Clear orange with a light amber touch. Very light and bubbly white head.

S: Pine and grapefruit dominate the slightly sweet smell. A little bit of hops, malt and other tropical scents are also present.

T: Mostly tropical flavors up front that transition to a moderately bitter, earthy middle. Finishes strong with a blast of pine and hops and a strong spike of bitterness that lingers on the back of the tongue and throat.

F: Medium body and carbonation. Quite dry that makes you really look forward to the next sip.

O: Makes we think of sitting out in the mountains on a nice cool summer evening with one of those tropical drinks with a little umbrella in it. Only better because I don't really like tropical drinks. This was a great extra to receive. I really enjoyed the earth and tropical mix.

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.39/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

It's odd with 4 Hands BC - we get distribution here in PA, but it is scattered to the point that I CAN find some in PHL, some in LNC & still others were returnees with me from CHI. I dig the graphics on the CANs & I am anxious to CANduct a horizontal tasting/review of their CANned beers. When it is over, if you know of a CAN of theirs that I missed, let me know.

From the CAN: "Food Pairings[:] Blue Cheese[,] Spicy Food".

I Crack!ed it open & performed a gentle Glug to get things started. This raised a finger of soapy, tawny head with limited retention. Color was solidly Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose held a cool mintiness which I could not attribute to either the hops or the rye. Either way, my mouth was beginning to water. I am like Pavlov's dog(s) when it comes to AIPAs, especially when CANfronted with so many other styles. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was a cool CANbination of pine resin & black pepper! Yes! They really did not need to tell me that rye was involved since it has such a great taste in both beer (especially AIPAs) and whiskey. I have a LOT of Rye Whiskey here at Chez Woody and it is my express elevator to Perdition. I adore that wintergreen & black pepper taste that rye imparts and it was in its full glory in this beer! Finish was dry, cool, delicious. I would absolutely fill a cooler with this at any time of the year! I now need to go score some more.

3.69/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not a big fan of this one. A little "light" on everything. May be a good intro to the style, but I prefer more oomph.

3.55/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.43/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.49/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.24/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.36/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Divided Sky Rye IPA from 4 Hands Brewing Co.