Cast Iron Oatmeal Brown | 4 Hands Brewing Co.

Cast Iron Oatmeal BrownCast Iron Oatmeal Brown

4 Hands Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States

Style: American Brown Ale

This is one monster of a Brown Ale! We use an obnoxious amount of chocolate malt and roasted barley to give this beer a cask iron backbone. Our oatmeal brown pours a dark mahogany with aromas of dark chocolate and coffee.

Added by JoEBoBpr on 01-06-2012

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 40 | Ratings: 301
4.28/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 2/4/14; drank 7/6/14 @ the Yarchives.

Poured from a can into a glass.

Brown hue; purple near the edges.

HUGE tan head; nice lace.

Oats, cream & coffee nose; mild but pleasant.

Medium thick, creamy mouthfeel.

Creamy oats & mocha up front; mild hop bite on the finish. So yeah, it's mild but interesting & satisfying enough to be a solid fall session beer.

4.45/5  rDev +15%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Bailey's Range, on to the beer:

This dark brown beer manages to string a few rings of lace around the glass. That's only a sneak peak however, as the aroma is fantastic. It is nutty with pleasing toffee, sweet, and overall a wonderful thing to smell. It is also a wonderthing to taste and drink. Although medium bodied, this beer is bliss! Nutty overall with fun toffee topping, a light roast, and the notes hit you in the right places. This is one brown ale I will be missing out in Orange County.

3.77/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I got a can of 4 Hands Brewing's Cast Iron Oatmeal Brown that my brother is sharing with me. I've never had a beer from four hands before and I'm interested in giving this brewery a try, so lets see how it goes. 2016 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks good, it's got a nice design to it and it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice brown color that took on more of mahogany color when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of bubbly and slightly creamy tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a good looking Brown Ale, I have no complaints.

S_ The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart some sweet malt, brown sugar, caramel malt, toasted malt, brown bread, bread crust and a little bit of grainy aromas with some noticeable caramel aromas showing up in the background. Up next comes a little bit of sweet malts with no hoppy aromas. This beer has a pretty nice aroma, all the aspects are true to style.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time more brown bread and bread crust aspects show up. Up next comes a little doughy yeast with some caramel aromas with just a little less sweetness than I got in the aroma. On the finish there's a little bit of a nutty flavor with a lower amount of bitterness with a nutty and toasted malt aftertaste. This is pretty nice tasting beer, it's just what I would expect for the style and it's solid.

M- Smooth, crisp, a little clean, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthffeel is pretty nice, but I wish it was a little thicker.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and it's a nice example of the style, it had just about all the aspects that I look for in the style and there wasn't anything that shouldn't be there. This beer had nice drinkability, I could drink a couple especially in the fall. What I like the most about this beer is how true to style it is, it's just what I look for in a Brown Ale. What I like the least about this beer is the body. I wish it was just a little thicker I would buy this beer if I was looking for a solid Brown Ale and I would recommend it to anyone looking for the same. All in all I liked this beer, but I didn't love it and I think if it was just a little thicker and a little more robust it would be very nice. It made for a good first impression for this brewery and I'm interested in trying more of their beers. Nice job guys, this is a solid Brown Ale, keep it up.

4.33/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

One of the best brown ales I have ever had, probably my go to brown for the time being. The name pretty much sums up the flavor of this beer. super nutty, and smooth.

4.24/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Deep brown to light black in color with a quarter inch of creamy khaki foam on top. Aroma of chocolate and cocoa powder is very enticing. The taste is dark chocolate and cocoa powder. The mouth is silky smooth and creamy.

4.14/5  rDev +7%

Quite a nice little Brown ale. Poured carefully, didn't produce a large head, but there's a little bit of lacing that sticks around. Flavor is dark, rich malts, with no hops or nutty flavors you sometimes get in modern brown ales. The Oatmeal gives it a smooth mouthfeel. It could almost be mistaken for a light porter, except for the total lack of roasted flavors.
Too bad I only brought 4 cans home from Missouri, I could drink a lot of this one.

4.02/5  rDev +3.9%

Good all around. Usually I'm not a fan of this style, but 4 Hands did this one well. Nice, dark brown color. Just a smooth, "neutral" ale all around. More malt, as you'd expect from a brown, so a little sweet, but not the nutty-off taste you get from some of the more well known English varieties. I'm a fan of cans, because like the fact that I can enjoy a 4 Hands, or other craft brew, in outdoor places that don't allow bottles. Keep it up.

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

It's odd with 4 Hands BC - we get distribution here in PA, but it is scattered to the point that I CAN find some in PHL, some in LNC & still others were returnees with me from CHI. I dig the graphics on the CANs & I am anxious to CANduct a horizontal tasting/review of their CANned beers. When it is over, if you know of a CAN of theirs that I missed, let me know.

From the CAN: "Food Pairings: Charcuterie - Hearty Stew".

After I Crack!ed it open, I CANducted a gentle Glug. Following this, I gave it a vigorous swirl to raise a brief finger of light-tan head before it fell back to wisps. Color was Brown to Dark Brown (SRM = > 22, < 27) with NE-quality clarity & deep-amber highlights. Interestingly, this smelled more like milk chocolate than their Chocolate Milk Stout did! Now, it may have been the power of suggestion, but I also thought that I smelled oatmeal. Quaker had an oatmeal with chocolate chips that I tried, but it was too sweet for me & especially at breakfast. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was lightly chocolaty, almost like inhaling powdered chocolate, like Quik. I did that once, as a kid, and I sneezed afterwards for a day. It filled my sinuses the same way as this seemed to, although this was not nearly as sweet. I liked that there was an inherent bitterness to this beer that kept the chocolate malt in check. Finish was semi-sweet, but just right after that Chocolate Milk Stout of theirs. I debated drinking them in a particular order, but I seem to have hit upon the right CANbination for me. I CAN imagine that this would go well with stew.

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

Probably my favorite brown ale to date. Lack of hop-bitterness really lets the malt-centric features of the flavor profile shine, with the oatmeal lending a delectable mouthfeel that makes putting these away dangerously easy.

3.83/5  rDev -1%

Can poured into a pint glass:

Fairly dark, permitting some light as an amber glow at the edges. Head dissipated quickly, little lacing. Large persistent bubbles, medium body.

Roasty notes and caramels. Creamy. A bit on the sweet side, though not unpleasantly so.

This one tasted more like a stout than a brown ale. Strong oat, roasted malt, chocolate, and coffee flavors. Very drinkable with a smooth creamy mouth feel with a lighter body than most of the style.

Would Drink Again: Yes
Would Purchase Again: No

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12oz can. Poured dark brown with a nice light-brown head. Not much to the aroma (although my glass was chilled, and this can impact the aroma). Some good flavor: nutty, and some grains. I am not a big fan of brown ales, but this was a pleasant one; although I wouldn't buy it again, I would happily drink it again, if offered one.

4.15/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz can poured into a pint glass, best before 12/13/15

A- pours a deep brown color with a puree hue, small fizzy light-tan head eventually disappears completely, leaving nothing behind

S- huge aroma of chocolate and coffee up front, followed by some toasted grains, brown bread crust, toasted almonds & a hint of oat sweetness

T- dark brown bread and toasted bread crust up front, followed my a hit of chocolate malt and toasted nuts, caramel/toffee sweetness, long linger of coffee and chocolate

M- medium-light body and medium carbonation leads to a foamy mouthfeel that continues into the finish

O- a very good brown ale that's loaded with flavor for 5.5%, a nice change from a normally mundane style

4.32/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Rich brown in color, with a tan head. The smell is of milk chocolate and breakfast oatmeal. It has a coffee roasted scent...nutty and dry. The taste is complex and roasty. Full in body and balanced. Excellent.

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark brown color with off-white head, almost tan head. Roasted malt, coffee, rolled oats, and a hint of chocolate on the nose; follows onto the palate. Finishes with just a pinch of sweetness and micr roasted flavors.

3.72/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Ruby pour, slight whispy khaki head, dissolves rather quickly to a clean surface and glassware visual.

S: Rich chocolate malt nose with some marshmellow. Good awareness levels and lengthy stay.

T: Flavor was spicy brown malt, marsh mellow, brown sugar, and rootbeer. Hints of caramel, honey-munich and lightly dry cola. Silty smooth coffee, lightly bitter chocolate and dry milkiness off the tongue.

M: Silky smooth texture, good carbonation factor, medium body.

O: Pretty bold flavor, deep chocolate freshness, decent complexity, silty coffee mixes with a creamy chocolate malt base. Solid B offering.

3.78/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours from can a caramel-amber brown, with a big head of tan bubbles. Very little lace here.

Aroma: Rich chocolate and some caramel maltiness. Actually pretty nice.

Taste: More chocolate notes here, for sure. A tinge of hops come in at the back of the palate. This traditional brown ale hits the right notes. It’s tasty, well-balanced, and easy to drink. Prost!

3.56/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

12 oz can purchased from Binnys (mix 6) split into 2 tasting glasses
A - 2 fingers of tan fluffy foam, brown bier - but when held up to the light, great hints of ruby red, great glass lacing
S - chocolate! malty sweet nose
T - sweet upfront, but a bitter finish creeps up at the end, full bodied bier
M - bitter flavor lingers giving a somewhat unpleasant aftertaste
O - Smells great and tastes great! The lingering bitterness was a tad unpleasant for me. Great to see an oatmeal brown in can form

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz can, no apparent freshness date
A - creamy tan head caps a mahogany colored ale
S - rich malty nose with chocolate and oatmeal, faint coffee
T - chocolate, oats, and nutty grain at the forefront, earthy hops balance it out with some bitterness
M - creamy and smooth, medium body
O - pretty good brown ale. I like the extra chocolate and oat flavors making it unique from a traditional brown ale.

3.96/5  rDev +2.3%

Super heady - as in, three-fourths of the pint glass. A simple pop of the cap, fizz and carbonation explosion. Dark brown, just shy of the shade of a porter. A huge head remains, leaves chunky lace.

Malted chocolate on the nose.

Creamy milk chocolate, sweetness like macadamia nuts or almonds.

Exceptionally low carbonation, sitting lightly on the tongue.

One of the better brown ales I've had - enjoyable and highly drinkable.

3.54/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up as a free sample for my continued patronage of the local liquor store. Side poured from the bottle with vigor into a Sam Adams glass.

Appearance - Pretty weak sauce. I poured this one like it owed me money and there was no head to be found, anywhere. Pours a deep brown, mahogany color, although I called the police and reported the head of this beer missing. No lacing either, obviously.

Smell - Pretty subdued, not much going on. I get faint hints of the chocolate, biscuits, and roastiness, but it is all very subdued. Almost reminds me of a brown ale from Europe instead of America.

Taste - The beer starts to redeem itself, albeit only slightly. The roasted malts and chocolate notes wash the palate, with a hint of oats and barley rounding out the taste. Very little to no hops detected, which is a good thing in my book. Solid taste, nothing to freak out about.

Mouthfeel - Kinda thin bodied for my liking, finishes with a kick of sweetness and is smooth.

Overall - Meh. Its an alright beer, I think it is kind of overrated on here. I wouldn't pay for it, but if it was cold and the time was right I would drink another.

3.79/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The Cast Iron Oatmeal Brown is a decent offering by 4 Hands. The beer poured a rich brown with ecru head that was leaving some lacing. The scent leaned toward coffee and earth. The taste was evenly balanced with espresso push with hints of peat. The mouthfeel was medium in body with smooth carbonation. Overall quite nice...I would drink this again.

4.08/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I poured this beer from a 12 oz stubby brown bottle into a stemmed tulip glass.

A= This ale poured a brilliantly clear, reddish-brown mahogany color. An aggressive pour produced 3/4" off-white head that quickly dropped to pretty much zero. Not much in the way of retention or lacing on my glass.

S= The aroma was a a nice combination of chocolate malt, roasted barley, and with hints of toasted oats.

T= The flavor followed the nose, with rich malts, chocolatey notes, hints of roasted grain, nuttiness, and a very nice oatmeal character. Hops were just there to balance. Finished fairly dry with lingering flavors of chocolate and oatmeal.

MF= Low side of medium bodied, with a firm but not harsh carbonation level. No astringency to speak of.

D= I really liked this a lot. The combination of dark malts was spot on, and blended very well with the toasty/nutty oatmeal. At this abv, this is a very crush-able beer.

3.67/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Chesnut brown with a bit of red tint. Some spotty lacing.

S: Biscuits. Honey and a slight hint of dark fruits.

T: Follows the nose. Interesting twist on a brown ale.

M: Medium body, and perhaps a bit thin for the style.

O: Interesting flavors.

3.79/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a solid brown color. Its head is small at about 1/2 finger. It does have nice retention and I thought the lacing was excellent

S - Aromas of dark chocolate and coffee beans. The aroma is lighter than I thought it would be but still pleasant

T - Man this is a great tasting beer. Very similar to the aroma but more potent. Again, dark chocolate and coffee beans dominate

M - Extremely smooth. Almost of cooling feeling. Would call it medium to heavy int he mouth.

O - What a great easy drinking beer. It'll be great in the fall for sitting around a campfire. Would even call it borderline sessionable. Will be getting this one again

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Cast Iron Oatmeal Brown from 4 Hands Brewing Co.