Cast Iron Oatmeal Brown | 4 Hands Brewing Co.

Cast Iron Oatmeal BrownCast Iron Oatmeal Brown

4 Hands Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
4handsbrewery.com

Style: American Brown Ale

This is one monster of a Brown Ale! We use an obnoxious amount of chocolate malt and roasted barley to give this beer a cask iron backbone. Our oatmeal brown pours a dark mahogany with aromas of dark chocolate and coffee.

Added by JoEBoBpr on 01-06-2012

4.14/5  rDev +7.3%

Quite a nice little Brown ale. Poured carefully, didn't produce a large head, but there's a little bit of lacing that sticks around. Flavor is dark, rich malts, with no hops or nutty flavors you sometimes get in modern brown ales. The Oatmeal gives it a smooth mouthfeel. It could almost be mistaken for a light porter, except for the total lack of roasted flavors.
Too bad I only brought 4 cans home from Missouri, I could drink a lot of this one.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

3.67/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.41/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.02/5  rDev +4.1%

Good all around. Usually I'm not a fan of this style, but 4 Hands did this one well. Nice, dark brown color. Just a smooth, "neutral" ale all around. More malt, as you'd expect from a brown, so a little sweet, but not the nutty-off taste you get from some of the more well known English varieties. I'm a fan of cans, because like the fact that I can enjoy a 4 Hands, or other craft brew, in outdoor places that don't allow bottles. Keep it up.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

It's odd with 4 Hands BC - we get distribution here in PA, but it is scattered to the point that I CAN find some in PHL, some in LNC & still others were returnees with me from CHI. I dig the graphics on the CANs & I am anxious to CANduct a horizontal tasting/review of their CANned beers. When it is over, if you know of a CAN of theirs that I missed, let me know.

From the CAN: "Food Pairings: Charcuterie - Hearty Stew".

After I Crack!ed it open, I CANducted a gentle Glug. Following this, I gave it a vigorous swirl to raise a brief finger of light-tan head before it fell back to wisps. Color was Brown to Dark Brown (SRM = > 22, < 27) with NE-quality clarity & deep-amber highlights. Interestingly, this smelled more like milk chocolate than their Chocolate Milk Stout did! Now, it may have been the power of suggestion, but I also thought that I smelled oatmeal. Quaker had an oatmeal with chocolate chips that I tried, but it was too sweet for me & especially at breakfast. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was lightly chocolaty, almost like inhaling powdered chocolate, like Quik. I did that once, as a kid, and I sneezed afterwards for a day. It filled my sinuses the same way as this seemed to, although this was not nearly as sweet. I liked that there was an inherent bitterness to this beer that kept the chocolate malt in check. Finish was semi-sweet, but just right after that Chocolate Milk Stout of theirs. I debated drinking them in a particular order, but I seem to have hit upon the right CANbination for me. I CAN imagine that this would go well with stew.

3.77/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pretty good for a brown ale, more flavor than I'm used to. No complaints here.

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

Probably my favorite brown ale to date. Lack of hop-bitterness really lets the malt-centric features of the flavor profile shine, with the oatmeal lending a delectable mouthfeel that makes putting these away dangerously easy.

3.81/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

3.77/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.09/5  rDev +6%

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

Can poured into a pint glass:

Fairly dark, permitting some light as an amber glow at the edges. Head dissipated quickly, little lacing. Large persistent bubbles, medium body.

Roasty notes and caramels. Creamy. A bit on the sweet side, though not unpleasantly so.

This one tasted more like a stout than a brown ale. Strong oat, roasted malt, chocolate, and coffee flavors. Very drinkable with a smooth creamy mouth feel with a lighter body than most of the style.

Would Drink Again: Yes
Would Purchase Again: No

3.62/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.04/5  rDev +4.7%

3.94/5  rDev +2.1%

4.32/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.1/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12oz can. Poured dark brown with a nice light-brown head. Not much to the aroma (although my glass was chilled, and this can impact the aroma). Some good flavor: nutty, and some grains. I am not a big fan of brown ales, but this was a pleasant one; although I wouldn't buy it again, I would happily drink it again, if offered one.

3.62/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.18/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Cast Iron Oatmeal Brown from 4 Hands Brewing Co.