Cast Iron Oatmeal Brown | 4 Hands Brewing Co.

Cast Iron Oatmeal BrownCast Iron Oatmeal Brown

4 Hands Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
4handsbrewery.com

Style: American Brown Ale

This is one monster of a Brown Ale! We use an obnoxious amount of chocolate malt and roasted barley to give this beer a cask iron backbone. Our oatmeal brown pours a dark mahogany with aromas of dark chocolate and coffee.

Added by JoEBoBpr on 01-06-2012

4.24/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Deep brown to light black in color with a quarter inch of creamy khaki foam on top. Aroma of chocolate and cocoa powder is very enticing. The taste is dark chocolate and cocoa powder. The mouth is silky smooth and creamy.

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.14/5  rDev +7.3%

Quite a nice little Brown ale. Poured carefully, didn't produce a large head, but there's a little bit of lacing that sticks around. Flavor is dark, rich malts, with no hops or nutty flavors you sometimes get in modern brown ales. The Oatmeal gives it a smooth mouthfeel. It could almost be mistaken for a light porter, except for the total lack of roasted flavors.
Too bad I only brought 4 cans home from Missouri, I could drink a lot of this one.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

3.67/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.41/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.02/5  rDev +4.1%

Good all around. Usually I'm not a fan of this style, but 4 Hands did this one well. Nice, dark brown color. Just a smooth, "neutral" ale all around. More malt, as you'd expect from a brown, so a little sweet, but not the nutty-off taste you get from some of the more well known English varieties. I'm a fan of cans, because like the fact that I can enjoy a 4 Hands, or other craft brew, in outdoor places that don't allow bottles. Keep it up.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

It's odd with 4 Hands BC - we get distribution here in PA, but it is scattered to the point that I CAN find some in PHL, some in LNC & still others were returnees with me from CHI. I dig the graphics on the CANs & I am anxious to CANduct a horizontal tasting/review of their CANned beers. When it is over, if you know of a CAN of theirs that I missed, let me know.

From the CAN: "Food Pairings: Charcuterie - Hearty Stew".

After I Crack!ed it open, I CANducted a gentle Glug. Following this, I gave it a vigorous swirl to raise a brief finger of light-tan head before it fell back to wisps. Color was Brown to Dark Brown (SRM = > 22, < 27) with NE-quality clarity & deep-amber highlights. Interestingly, this smelled more like milk chocolate than their Chocolate Milk Stout did! Now, it may have been the power of suggestion, but I also thought that I smelled oatmeal. Quaker had an oatmeal with chocolate chips that I tried, but it was too sweet for me & especially at breakfast. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was lightly chocolaty, almost like inhaling powdered chocolate, like Quik. I did that once, as a kid, and I sneezed afterwards for a day. It filled my sinuses the same way as this seemed to, although this was not nearly as sweet. I liked that there was an inherent bitterness to this beer that kept the chocolate malt in check. Finish was semi-sweet, but just right after that Chocolate Milk Stout of theirs. I debated drinking them in a particular order, but I seem to have hit upon the right CANbination for me. I CAN imagine that this would go well with stew.

3.77/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pretty good for a brown ale, more flavor than I'm used to. No complaints here.

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

Probably my favorite brown ale to date. Lack of hop-bitterness really lets the malt-centric features of the flavor profile shine, with the oatmeal lending a delectable mouthfeel that makes putting these away dangerously easy.

3.81/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

3.77/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.09/5  rDev +6%

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

Can poured into a pint glass:

Fairly dark, permitting some light as an amber glow at the edges. Head dissipated quickly, little lacing. Large persistent bubbles, medium body.

Roasty notes and caramels. Creamy. A bit on the sweet side, though not unpleasantly so.

This one tasted more like a stout than a brown ale. Strong oat, roasted malt, chocolate, and coffee flavors. Very drinkable with a smooth creamy mouth feel with a lighter body than most of the style.

Would Drink Again: Yes
Would Purchase Again: No

3.62/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.04/5  rDev +4.7%

3.94/5  rDev +2.1%

4.32/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.1/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12oz can. Poured dark brown with a nice light-brown head. Not much to the aroma (although my glass was chilled, and this can impact the aroma). Some good flavor: nutty, and some grains. I am not a big fan of brown ales, but this was a pleasant one; although I wouldn't buy it again, I would happily drink it again, if offered one.

Cast Iron Oatmeal Brown from 4 Hands Brewing Co.