Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...

Cast Iron Oatmeal Brown | 4 Hands Brewing Co.

Cast Iron Oatmeal BrownCast Iron Oatmeal Brown
3.84/5
Very Good
Cast Iron Oatmeal BrownCast Iron Oatmeal Brown

4 Hands Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
4handsbrewery.com

Style: American Brown Ale

This is one monster of a Brown Ale! We use an obnoxious amount of chocolate malt and roasted barley to give this beer a cask iron backbone. Our oatmeal brown pours a dark mahogany with aromas of dark chocolate and coffee.

Added by JoEBoBpr on 01-06-2012

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I got a can of 4 Hands Brewing's Cast Iron Oatmeal Brown that my brother is sharing with me. I've never had a beer from four hands before and I'm interested in giving this brewery a try, so lets see how it goes. 2016 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks good, it's got a nice design to it and it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice brown color that took on more of mahogany color when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of bubbly and slightly creamy tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a good looking Brown Ale, I have no complaints.

S_ The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart some sweet malt, brown sugar, caramel malt, toasted malt, brown bread, bread crust and a little bit of grainy aromas with some noticeable caramel aromas showing up in the background. Up next comes a little bit of sweet malts with no hoppy aromas. This beer has a pretty nice aroma, all the aspects are true to style.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time more brown bread and bread crust aspects show up. Up next comes a little doughy yeast with some caramel aromas with just a little less sweetness than I got in the aroma. On the finish there's a little bit of a nutty flavor with a lower amount of bitterness with a nutty and toasted malt aftertaste. This is pretty nice tasting beer, it's just what I would expect for the style and it's solid.

M- Smooth, crisp, a little clean, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthffeel is pretty nice, but I wish it was a little thicker.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and it's a nice example of the style, it had just about all the aspects that I look for in the style and there wasn't anything that shouldn't be there. This beer had nice drinkability, I could drink a couple especially in the fall. What I like the most about this beer is how true to style it is, it's just what I look for in a Brown Ale. What I like the least about this beer is the body. I wish it was just a little thicker I would buy this beer if I was looking for a solid Brown Ale and I would recommend it to anyone looking for the same. All in all I liked this beer, but I didn't love it and I think if it was just a little thicker and a little more robust it would be very nice. It made for a good first impression for this brewery and I'm interested in trying more of their beers. Nice job guys, this is a solid Brown Ale, keep it up.

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

One of the best brown ales I have ever had, probably my go to brown for the time being. The name pretty much sums up the flavor of this beer. super nutty, and smooth.

4.24/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Deep brown to light black in color with a quarter inch of creamy khaki foam on top. Aroma of chocolate and cocoa powder is very enticing. The taste is dark chocolate and cocoa powder. The mouth is silky smooth and creamy.

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.14/5  rDev +7.8%

Quite a nice little Brown ale. Poured carefully, didn't produce a large head, but there's a little bit of lacing that sticks around. Flavor is dark, rich malts, with no hops or nutty flavors you sometimes get in modern brown ales. The Oatmeal gives it a smooth mouthfeel. It could almost be mistaken for a light porter, except for the total lack of roasted flavors.
Too bad I only brought 4 cans home from Missouri, I could drink a lot of this one.

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

3.67/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.41/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.02/5  rDev +4.7%

Good all around. Usually I'm not a fan of this style, but 4 Hands did this one well. Nice, dark brown color. Just a smooth, "neutral" ale all around. More malt, as you'd expect from a brown, so a little sweet, but not the nutty-off taste you get from some of the more well known English varieties. I'm a fan of cans, because like the fact that I can enjoy a 4 Hands, or other craft brew, in outdoor places that don't allow bottles. Keep it up.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

It's odd with 4 Hands BC - we get distribution here in PA, but it is scattered to the point that I CAN find some in PHL, some in LNC & still others were returnees with me from CHI. I dig the graphics on the CANs & I am anxious to CANduct a horizontal tasting/review of their CANned beers. When it is over, if you know of a CAN of theirs that I missed, let me know.

From the CAN: "Food Pairings: Charcuterie - Hearty Stew".

After I Crack!ed it open, I CANducted a gentle Glug. Following this, I gave it a vigorous swirl to raise a brief finger of light-tan head before it fell back to wisps. Color was Brown to Dark Brown (SRM = > 22, < 27) with NE-quality clarity & deep-amber highlights. Interestingly, this smelled more like milk chocolate than their Chocolate Milk Stout did! Now, it may have been the power of suggestion, but I also thought that I smelled oatmeal. Quaker had an oatmeal with chocolate chips that I tried, but it was too sweet for me & especially at breakfast. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was lightly chocolaty, almost like inhaling powdered chocolate, like Quik. I did that once, as a kid, and I sneezed afterwards for a day. It filled my sinuses the same way as this seemed to, although this was not nearly as sweet. I liked that there was an inherent bitterness to this beer that kept the chocolate malt in check. Finish was semi-sweet, but just right after that Chocolate Milk Stout of theirs. I debated drinking them in a particular order, but I seem to have hit upon the right CANbination for me. I CAN imagine that this would go well with stew.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pretty good for a brown ale, more flavor than I'm used to. No complaints here.

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

Probably my favorite brown ale to date. Lack of hop-bitterness really lets the malt-centric features of the flavor profile shine, with the oatmeal lending a delectable mouthfeel that makes putting these away dangerously easy.

3.81/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

4.09/5  rDev +6.5%

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

Can poured into a pint glass:

Fairly dark, permitting some light as an amber glow at the edges. Head dissipated quickly, little lacing. Large persistent bubbles, medium body.

Roasty notes and caramels. Creamy. A bit on the sweet side, though not unpleasantly so.

This one tasted more like a stout than a brown ale. Strong oat, roasted malt, chocolate, and coffee flavors. Very drinkable with a smooth creamy mouth feel with a lighter body than most of the style.

Would Drink Again: Yes
Would Purchase Again: No

3.62/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.04/5  rDev +5.2%

Cast Iron Oatmeal Brown from 4 Hands Brewing Co.