Chocolate Milk Stout

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Chocolate Milk StoutChocolate Milk Stout
Notes: Our chocolate milk stout pours black as the night sky with aromas of dark chocolate, chocolate malt, & more chocolate. With a firm, tan head & a rich velvety mouthfeel our Chocolate Milk Stout is a perfect addition to the change of seasons. Brewed with two pounds of cacoa nibs per barrel this beer is a chocolate lovers dream!
Reviews: 98 | Ratings: 729 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by JSchock7:

4.23/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

this actually tastes like chocolate milk, like, really chocolatey milk, the kind you make when you are a kid and mom says you can make your own, so you drain half the bottle of hersheys syrup into the glass and splash just a little milk over it, half stir it, and basically drink chocolate. the ratio is whack, but it sure is delicious. this reminds me of that. there is a ton of milk chocolate in the aroma and flavor here, and i am surprised to read its made with cocoa nibs, as i usually associate those with a more earthy, bitter, roasty dark chocolate complexion, its usually not this desserty, but there must be some lactose or even vanilla in here sweetening it up. the base stout is really good too though, frothy and thick and textured right to accommodate all this chocolate. there is a creaminess about it, a definite melted chocolate character, and a finishing sweetness thats prominent but not too much that i dont want to crack another can as soon as i drain the first one. it seems like a lot of breweries are trying this sort of thing now, but sometimes less is more, and a simple and chocolate heavy approach is all you really need to succeed. this is at the head of its class, my favorite chocolate stout i have had in awhile, and oddly drinkable for what it is, even being sweet like this. im sad when my glass is empty. these guys are killing it right now, especially with the dark stuff!

edit: this seemed overly sweet to me and flat in feel from the pint can when i had it this weekend. still an amazing flavor and all, but has it always been like this? i remember it somewhat more lively and drinkable, but at this level it feels more like a one and done, granted i had been drinking most of the day by the time i got to it. lowering the mouthfeel score here just a little...

3.6/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.56/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4 Hands is one of, if not my absolute favorite brewery in my home state of Missouri. I've yet to have a beer from them that I didn't enjoy and this is no different. I've always been hesitantly curious about chocolate beers, so its only been recently that I've decided to get over that and try them. This was the first one that made me get on board. Its a dark beer (black/dark brown) with a very sweet milky/chocolate scent. To me I pick up a slight hint of coffee as well. Taste is similar as well, with the back end tasting something along the lines of Hershey's chocolate syrup. It is not overly heavy, which is something I enjoy, so this one will be in my lineup during its season with us.

4.11/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12/18/17

Can to snifter.

Looks smells and tastes as advertised... like chocolate milk.

LOOK: The appearance is dark black with a creamy can head, good head retention.

AROMA is milk chocolate. Not incredibly strong and not much else.

TASTE is sweet chocolate, some roasted barley. Late bitterness cuts the early sweetness.

FEEL: full body, creamy, a little fizz too.

Very enjoyable easy drinking stout. Nothing incredibly complex, but straight up tasty.

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

It's odd with 4 Hands BC - we get distribution here in PA, but it is scattered to the point that I CAN find some in PHL, some in LNC & still others were returnees with me from CHI. I dig the graphics on the CANs & I am anxious to CANduct a horizontal tasting/review of their CANned beers. When it is over, if you know of a CAN of theirs that I missed, let me know. How bizarre that tone77 got one from me when I just bought a CAN at The Fridge yesterday!

From the CAN: "Grade A"; "Food Pairings: Chocolate - Grilled Beef"; "Stout with Cacao Nibs". The label is reminiscent of Elsie, the Borden Cow, but dressed in a Milkman's cap & bowtie. If that is the case, the pairings seem a little sad. Milk chocolate? Sure! But Grilled Beef? Ya gotta kill the cow to get the meat. Aw. I am not a vegetarian, but that just seems inCANgruous if they are going to prominently feature a cow on the label.

The Crack! revealed yet another brimful CAN & released a spray across my fingertips. I could not bring myself to turn the cow upside down for an inverted Glug, but she really began to low when I did an agitating swirl! Sorry, but it raised a finger of foamy, deep-tan/light-brown head with decent retention. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44) with just enough light penetration to keep it from being solid Black, plus there were cola highlights at the edges. Nose was rich with smoke, dark chocolate and a nuttiness, almost like peanuts. In fact, my initial thought was a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup! Mmmm. Now, I wish that I had some Tastykake Peanut Butter Tandy Takes to go with this. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but close. I really swear, it tasted like a liquid peanut butter cup! I have had other porters & stouts that were intentionally going for this taste, but I do not think that such was the case here. This is an amusing beer that was quite easy to drink with half of it disappearing before I noticed. My only reservation/hesitation was its sweetness. I am a self-avowed hophead and I generally eschew sweets, so this was outside of my wheelhouse and as such, one was plenty. I am not going to dun it, but it was worth pointing out.

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.36/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.76/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2.75/5  rDev -31.8%

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.74/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this one on tap. Enjoyed it a lot. Might not be the best stout I've ever had, but I was tempted to give it 5's cuz it lived up to the description perfectly. Black body with creamy brown head. smell is chocolate milk...not cocoa or roasted malt or dark chocolate, but really I immediately thought of chocolate milk. Was worried the taste was going to be artificial, but it too was excellent... chocolate milk. Extremely balanced taste where I never forgot I was drinKing a good stout. It's fair to say there were light coffee notes, hints of roasted malt, and more. In the end though, it was chocolate milk. The sweetness was there but not overpowering. The taste wasn't fake, Just very nicely balanced. Figured it would fail in the feel and be either tOo thin or too syrupy. Nope, it is super creamy and, well... like chocolate milk. Overall great experience, and I'll admit I ordered a second.

Gonna pick up some cans and see if they deliver the same. Like others, I stayed away for a while because i figured this was a gimmick beer. Now I can't wait to try Four Hands Peanut Butter Stout.

3.58/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Walnut toned head is thick and cushy, one and a half inches, spongy textured atop. Very strong retention rate. The pour was cola-coffee-ish, oily reflection.

S: Rich milky chocolate, cocoa-almond, with some vanilla bean. A good sense of awareness, the the milky chocolate was rich and deep, nestle crunch like. A beautiful chocolate and marshmallow finish.

T: Flavor was rich deep chocolate, with touches of marshmallow-hot cocoa. Touches of fresh coffee, cocoa depth, sweetened with some vanilla bean and some dried milk on the finish. Slight chocolate bitterness.

M: Milky, very smooth feel, oats? Nice warming chocolate bitterness on the inner cheeks. Very smooth carbonation. Light dried bitter chocolate powder coating on the tongue remains.

O: Overall a nice spike of rich milky chocolate and cocoa with marshmallow highlights the open with very good results and strength. A very fine example and rich drinkability. Impresses on the first sip and finishes strong and outstanding per style. Nice powdery chocolate-marshmallow lacing.

4.07/5  rDev +1%

EBF sample pour. Pours dark brown. Smell is goddamn chocolate milk. Nails it's intended purpose. Milk chocolate with some coffee and cream. Flavor is the same. A glass of chocolate milk with a strong of chocolate syrup. Some softer coffee flavors. Coffee with a lot of cream. Lactose. Body is light but the feel is creamy. Executed very well here. 4 Hands has quickly become a brewery that caught my attention. Good job again.

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%

12 oz Can. Pours a dark almost black with a tan head. Huge chocolate aroma, some cream and coffee. Taste is lots of dark chocolate, dark chocolate bitterness too.

4.09/5  rDev +1.5%

3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

4.17/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This beer has the most flavor for any 5.5% abv beer there is. It chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate! Delicious session beer, comes in 6 pack of cans and very available in the fall.

Chocolate Milk Stout from 4 Hands Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 90 out of 100 with 729 ratings