Chocolate Milk Stout | 4 Hands Brewing Co.

Chocolate Milk StoutChocolate Milk Stout

4 Hands Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
4handsbrewery.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Our chocolate milk stout pours black as the night sky with aromas of dark chocolate, chocolate malt, & more chocolate. With a firm, tan head & a rich velvety mouthfeel our Chocolate Milk Stout is a perfect addition to the change of seasons. Brewed with two pounds of cacoa nibs per barrel this beer is a chocolate lovers dream!

Added by JoEBoBpr on 12-29-2012

Reviews: 81 | Ratings: 624
Reviews by Knuckles_Nuclear:

4.56/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4 Hands is one of, if not my absolute favorite brewery in my home state of Missouri. I've yet to have a beer from them that I didn't enjoy and this is no different. I've always been hesitantly curious about chocolate beers, so its only been recently that I've decided to get over that and try them. This was the first one that made me get on board. Its a dark beer (black/dark brown) with a very sweet milky/chocolate scent. To me I pick up a slight hint of coffee as well. Taste is similar as well, with the back end tasting something along the lines of Hershey's chocolate syrup. It is not overly heavy, which is something I enjoy, so this one will be in my lineup during its season with us.

4.35/5  rDev +10.4%

It's odd with 4 Hands BC - we get distribution here in PA, but it is scattered to the point that I CAN find some in PHL, some in LNC & still others were returnees with me from CHI. I dig the graphics on the CANs & I am anxious to CANduct a horizontal tasting/review of their CANned beers. When it is over, if you know of a CAN of theirs that I missed, let me know. How bizarre that tone77 got one from me when I just bought a CAN at The Fridge yesterday!

From the CAN: "Grade A"; "Food Pairings: Chocolate - Grilled Beef"; "Stout with Cacao Nibs". The label is reminiscent of Elsie, the Borden Cow, but dressed in a Milkman's cap & bowtie. If that is the case, the pairings seem a little sad. Milk chocolate? Sure! But Grilled Beef? Ya gotta kill the cow to get the meat. Aw. I am not a vegetarian, but that just seems inCANgruous if they are going to prominently feature a cow on the label.

The Crack! revealed yet another brimful CAN & released a spray across my fingertips. I could not bring myself to turn the cow upside down for an inverted Glug, but she really began to low when I did an agitating swirl! Sorry, but it raised a finger of foamy, deep-tan/light-brown head with decent retention. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44) with just enough light penetration to keep it from being solid Black, plus there were cola highlights at the edges. Nose was rich with smoke, dark chocolate and a nuttiness, almost like peanuts. In fact, my initial thought was a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup! Mmmm. Now, I wish that I had some Tastykake Peanut Butter Tandy Takes to go with this. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but close. I really swear, it tasted like a liquid peanut butter cup! I have had other porters & stouts that were intentionally going for this taste, but I do not think that such was the case here. This is an amusing beer that was quite easy to drink with half of it disappearing before I noticed. My only reservation/hesitation was its sweetness. I am a self-avowed hophead and I generally eschew sweets, so this was outside of my wheelhouse and as such, one was plenty. I am not going to dun it, but it was worth pointing out.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

4.07/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

4.11/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours deep black in color with little head. Smells of chocolate and tastes of it as well. Not my favorite chocolate stout but very drinkable.

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

3.18/5  rDev -19.3%

Dark and a bit thin looking. Resembles Coke. Minimal head. Strong chocolate nose with a little bit of coffee. Fairly mild coffee flavor with definite sweetness. That sweetness is just kind of sugary and hollow, though. Bit of a coffee finish.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark black color with a fingers worth of dark tan head. The smell is sweet and chocolatey. The taste chocolate and malt, very good balance of the two. The mouthfeel is very creamy like you'd expect a milk stout to be. I enjoy this beer very much.

3.99/5  rDev +1.3%

Black in color with no light penetrating this brew. A fingernail of khaki colored head rests on top. Brussels lacing. I smell lactose,chocolate, and dark malt. The flavor is bitter dark malt in the front of the palate. There's a restrained amount of chocolate and lactose present. The mouth is smooth and creamy.

4.56/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3.77/5  rDev -4.3%

4.17/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.69/5  rDev +19%

Omg. This tastes like chocolate in a glass. Dark and sweet. Its like drinking a cool chocolate milk. WOW. Best chocolate stout I have ever had. Wonderful.

Chocolate Milk Stout from 4 Hands Brewing Co.