Chocolate Milk Stout | 4 Hands Brewing Co.

Chocolate Milk StoutChocolate Milk Stout
4.01/5
Exceptional
Chocolate Milk StoutChocolate Milk Stout

4 Hands Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
4handsbrewery.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Our chocolate milk stout pours black as the night sky with aromas of dark chocolate, chocolate malt, & more chocolate. With a firm, tan head & a rich velvety mouthfeel our Chocolate Milk Stout is a perfect addition to the change of seasons. Brewed with two pounds of cacoa nibs per barrel this beer is a chocolate lovers dream!

Added by JoEBoBpr on 12-29-2012

2.17/5  rDev -45.9%

2.67/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

2.68/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Dreadfully shallow.

2.75/5  rDev -31.4%

2.8/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Poured into pint glass, hazy brown head with large bubbles finished off into a cracker-thin brown head. Body - dark, but when put up to the light you can see it is a dark, dark, tobacco brow.

S: Dark Chocolate right off the bat. Notes of coffee, and toasted malts faint scent of dried apricots/cherries.

T: Chocolate cover cherries, with a dry hop finish. Interesting

M: Perhaps the weakest part of the experience. Thin, light, effervescent with not what I was expecting. I will be honest disappointed. I wanted that thick, milky experience - this beer just did't have it.

O: Eh, I wanted to like this beer. But in the end it taste like a brown ale with cacao nibs added. I wouldn't recommend this, especially four the price.

2.84/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

To thin and carbonated for me, i like a nice rich creamy milk stout, this is not that.

2.91/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Holy balls, this smells just like chocolate milk. Creamy lactose and rich dark chocolate notes eventually give way to...not much. Maybe a touch of roast, I suppose. I like the chocolaty qualities, but where's the beer? Drinking this, it reminds me of a smaller version of Choklat, without the subtle stout notes that made it work so well. Here's what I get: some cream, and dark chocolate. That's it. It's also very thin in feel, though also easy to drink. Still, it gets REALLY sweet - too sweet for me. I though this was great at first sip; near the end of the can, I was pretty damn sick of it.

2.91/5: There's a beer somewhere in here...I think

2.95/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Tasted 16 February 2013.

Pours black in the glass, deep brown at the edges. Half-finger of pale tan head, relaxes to a thin ring around the surface, and a touch of lacing.

Smell is a light milk stout topped with woody cacao and coffee. It's thin; fortunately the lactose adds some body and smoothness. A touch of smoke leaks in from the dark roast. But mostly it's bottom and top, and hollow in the middle. Lacking body, oomph, robustness.

Taste is thin, a bit flat, and dominated by a char bitterness and wood. I get very little milk or chocolate, which is disappointing. This beer isn't terrible, but I'd have a hard time calling it good.

Mouthfeel is fine. It's a low-ABV stout, so it's not super surprising that it's thin. But the milky feel isn't there, and it's even thinner than I'd expect. Carbonation is fine.

Nothing impressive about this one. As I said above, it's not terrible. But I'm not loving it.

3.02/5  rDev -24.7%

3.06/5  rDev -23.7%

Cool label! That's about the highlight of this beer for me. Frankly, I don't even taste chocolate ... I taste and smell burnt espresso beans. Also kind of watery. I expect a stout to feel/taste thick and rich ... this one seems thin and weak. There is so much potential for a beer like this but it seems this brewery (and many others like it) are just trying to ride the profit wave with uninspiring products. Too bad. I suppose there's a chance it somehow became skunked? Bottled on 3/25/14.

3.12/5  rDev -22.2%

3.15/5  rDev -21.4%

3.16/5  rDev -21.2%

3.18/5  rDev -20.7%

Dark and a bit thin looking. Resembles Coke. Minimal head. Strong chocolate nose with a little bit of coffee. Fairly mild coffee flavor with definite sweetness. That sweetness is just kind of sugary and hollow, though. Bit of a coffee finish.

3.25/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -19%

Chocolate Milk Stout from 4 Hands Brewing Co.