Chocolate Milk Stout | 4 Hands Brewing Co.

Chocolate Milk StoutChocolate Milk Stout
4.01/5
Chocolate Milk StoutChocolate Milk Stout

4 Hands Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States
4handsbrewery.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Our chocolate milk stout pours black as the night sky with aromas of dark chocolate, chocolate malt, & more chocolate. With a firm, tan head & a rich velvety mouthfeel our Chocolate Milk Stout is a perfect addition to the change of seasons. Brewed with two pounds of cacoa nibs per barrel this beer is a chocolate lovers dream!

Added by JoEBoBpr on 12-29-2012

3.81/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.7/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.25/5  rDev +6%

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

3.57/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

4.13/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

2.68/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Dreadfully shallow.

3.96/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a lighter brown shade, huge billowing tan head of foam, fairly long lasting retention also. Halo of delicate lacing in the glass, looks pretty nice.

Milk chocolate aromas, some husky black malt underneath that.

Very light bodied, authentic chocolate flavors mingle with roasted malt and coffee flavors. Initial natural sweetness and lingering dry roast, clean feel. Deceptively simple, though more than the sum of its parts.

Thanks to Mark & Kathy for this one!

3.84/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.12/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Opaque, jet-black color with a one-finger,light brown head of foam. It left sticky rings of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of sweet milk chocolate and cocoa nibs.

T - Good chocolate flavor like cocoa nibs, some roastiness and just a touch of bitterness.

M - It was crisp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with a clean finish.

O -This is a really delicious beer. I can't say enough about how much every 4 Hands beer impressed me. Keep 'em coming.

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

4.14/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

An interesting beer to have while making supper. Thanks to rudzud for giving me this to try.

Pours a dark colored fizzy 1 finger head that fades slower than I expected from the many bigger fizzy bubbles, but still a med pace, decent frothy lacing, just about pitch black beer.

Nose just erupts with cocoa and chocolate, milk chocolate and a creamy lush chocolate, cocoa nibs and a little baker's choc, even a bit fudgey, I think a hint of lactose through that, and a little doughy cookie note, bit of a chocolate chip cookie.

Taste is more of the same, lots of chocolate and cocoa, quite a creamy milk chocolate, even a little chocolate milk but not a lot as a bit of lactose comes through. Again a mild doughy cookie malt center with hint of caramel and more chocolate chip cookie, mild dry cocoa powder too. Hint of an acrid like roasty malt as well with touch of coffee. Finish is a little sweet but quite dry, lactose dry finish, with a little more lush chocolate and cocoa, mild bitterness, and that's about it.

Mouth is med bod, fairly creamy and lush, nice carb.

Overall not bad, lots of great chocolate and cookie dough, nice cocoa and lactose milk chocolate, even a hint of roasted malt too, pretty tasty and enjoyable. Thanks Matt!

3.85/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

4.25/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.14/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours mahogany with a thumb of mocha colored head. Great lacing & head retention, great looking beer

S: Chocolate & a little roastyness

T: Follows the nose, a touch of mocha notes as well up front. More of the same as this warms, roastyness,with just a touch of woody hops. Finishes dry, roasty & with some serious mocha flavor

MF: Fairly creamy, medium bodied

True to its name, nice cocoa presence in this, drinks easy

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

It's odd with 4 Hands BC - we get distribution here in PA, but it is scattered to the point that I CAN find some in PHL, some in LNC & still others were returnees with me from CHI. I dig the graphics on the CANs & I am anxious to CANduct a horizontal tasting/review of their CANned beers. When it is over, if you know of a CAN of theirs that I missed, let me know. How bizarre that tone77 got one from me when I just bought a CAN at The Fridge yesterday!

From the CAN: "Grade A"; "Food Pairings: Chocolate - Grilled Beef"; "Stout with Cacao Nibs". The label is reminiscent of Elsie, the Borden Cow, but dressed in a Milkman's cap & bowtie. If that is the case, the pairings seem a little sad. Milk chocolate? Sure! But Grilled Beef? Ya gotta kill the cow to get the meat. Aw. I am not a vegetarian, but that just seems inCANgruous if they are going to prominently feature a cow on the label.

The Crack! revealed yet another brimful CAN & released a spray across my fingertips. I could not bring myself to turn the cow upside down for an inverted Glug, but she really began to low when I did an agitating swirl! Sorry, but it raised a finger of foamy, deep-tan/light-brown head with decent retention. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44) with just enough light penetration to keep it from being solid Black, plus there were cola highlights at the edges. Nose was rich with smoke, dark chocolate and a nuttiness, almost like peanuts. In fact, my initial thought was a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup! Mmmm. Now, I wish that I had some Tastykake Peanut Butter Tandy Takes to go with this. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but close. I really swear, it tasted like a liquid peanut butter cup! I have had other porters & stouts that were intentionally going for this taste, but I do not think that such was the case here. This is an amusing beer that was quite easy to drink with half of it disappearing before I noticed. My only reservation/hesitation was its sweetness. I am a self-avowed hophead and I generally eschew sweets, so this was outside of my wheelhouse and as such, one was plenty. I am not going to dun it, but it was worth pointing out.

3.79/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.37/5  rDev -16%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Despite thr description, it is not black as the night. Deep brown. Collar of foam and a single tentacle of foam.

Smell - Really chocolatey. Impressive milk chocolate aroma. Slight peanut butter aroma.

Taste - Less impressive, but still decent. Milk chocolate. Less intense. Not much else going on. Not a lot of lactose, which I like. Still has a bit of peanut butter to it.

Mouthfeel - Very light and thin. Medium carbonation.

Overall - Nice chocolate. Maybe I had this beer too late in the tasting, but I don't get a lot else out of it.

Chocolate Milk Stout from 4 Hands Brewing Co.