Simon Girty | Draai Laag Brewing Company

Added by OneDropSoup on 02-22-2012

2.5/5  rDev -34%

2.5/5  rDev -34%

2.63/5  rDev -30.6%

I hate to be critical of local brews, but after I tried this beer something needs to be said. I think this is the first beer that I have ordered in a bar and could not finish it. I will be objective and professional in my review.
First, the best thing this beer has is it's looks. Tight, lacing head that is neither to much nor too little for this style. Smell is of slight chocolate, alcohol, sweet cedar and some fruit. This is where it gets ugly-the most important factors of a good beer is where this beer totally misses the boat.
The taste, agree with person below that this beer is extremely unpleasant to put down. There is a significant imbalance between the alcohol and the dry, toasty fruit hits that attempt to mask the brutal sting of the alcohol. If I did not look at the bottle, I would guess this beer comes in at 16%. I was shocked to find out that this beer is only 8%! It goes down like 151!
Mouthfeel was slightly better as some of the smells manifested into some of the flavor. It was a medium to heavy bodied beer which is prime for this style, however, the imbalances are too overwhelming.
Overall, this beer was a poor representation of a strong Belgian dark. I will give the hometown benefit of the doubt, but I can not tell a lie and would be lying if I said this beer was worth your time or dollar with so many better examples of this style available.

2.75/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.89/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Had this on 2016-11-25 in Pittsburgh, PA from a 500ml bottle.

Not what I expected. It was sour with orange and chocolate flavor. Didn't appeal to me at all.

3.28/5  rDev -13.5%

Draai Laag - Simon Girty Dark Belgian Strong Ale - Brewed with cocoa, honey and orange peel
-- %8 ABV.
This was had from a 12 ounce bottle purchased at the brewery and poured into a nice curvy tulip glass.
As a dark Belgian style ale I was thinking it might be comparable to a Leffe Brown, or a Corsendonk Abbey Brown. Anyways, as it poured from the bottle there was already a hazey cloudyness to the beer. Oh my gosh, that could mean good things for me since I love a good unfiltered beer right? I gave it an aggressive pour and got a crazy ton of tan foam head. There is a milk chocoalte brown color to this beer and it is cloudy as all get out. You can not see a thing through this one even in strong light. Tiny fast bubbles are seen close to the top of the glass.
Taste: Kind of got that abbey ale tastes that a monk would brew, but there is alot of other things going on. It has sweet and sour tastes at the same time. There are some citrus characteristics and grapes. I don't taste honey, or cocoa. If there were any of those to begin with the sour aspects of the beer take over and bash them into the abyss. It is actually dangeously close to tasting like a sour sparkling wine, or champagne. I get the same alcohol notes that go with wine and the sourness that comes with a wild ale, or sour beer. They use the wild yeast and it certainly has made an impact with this beer. I just kind of wish that it tasted more like Leffe Brown with more booze. I think for me Belgian style beers bring back moments of happiness for me of days gone past. Maybe I am just a sentimental bastard, but I don't like my Belgians too sour. This one was a bit too sour for me, but it has some nice things going on.
Feel: chunky unfiltered, well carbonated, right for the style

3.38/5  rDev -10.8%

12 ounce SN style stubby here. 8% abv, with honey, cocoa, and orange peel. Pours dark mahogany ruby tinted brown with a big khaki tan head forming thick. Fine even lacing, surrounds my chalice. Aroma has big phenolic fruitiness, with hints of cocoa, honey, and orange peel citrus notes. Deep vinous layers of fruity with herbal earthiness, I'm getting raisins and tart apples. Flavor big alcohol assertive up front with dark fruit, more vinous grapes/raisin sweetness with dry cocoa bitterness weighing heavy with dark roasts on the palate. Also honey hits with sweetness and the citrus peel bitterness almost overwhelms the palate. As I add the rest of the yeast sediment the dry chalkiness subdues some of the harsh flavors and it melds a little better than my first few initial sips. Most of honey ferments out in this one very few residual sugars are left behind, a bit cloying still with the cocoa and bitter orange peel clashing together. Carbonation is mellow body is medium to full, and it just doesn't go down with ease. Complex yes, adventurous yes, a beer I want to try again, not sure. I did love their Belgian style golden ale, very creative thus far, keeps me open to try more of their beers maybe just not a huge fan of this one.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours a deep amber color with an off white head. In the aroma, orange citrus all day. In the taste, dry orange citrus with notes of cocoa. A spice like bite and a medium bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry note of cocoa in the aftertaste. A bit too sweet for me, especially with the mix of orange and cocoa all the way through.

3.57/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.59/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Honey and cocoa and Belgian do not mesh well. Nice flavor but just all over the place.

3.63/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.64/5  rDev -4%