Framboise Noir | Draai Laag Brewing Company

4.2

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

4.39/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had the latest batch tonight. Maybe I just hyped it up too much from when I last had it but it was way different than I last remember it. Much more Chocolate this time and much less sour Raspberry. Honestly would be hard to quantify as a Framboise in its most recent incarnation. Good beer but falls short of the almost unfair hopes that I had for it.

4.31/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep amber with red hues towards the shallow part of the snifter. No sediment but not clear; the way many chocolate ales are. Unique aroma of cocoa, berries, barley and dark fruits. The flavor is surprisingly tart with sweet chocolate essence tempering that slightly. 10.5 percent alcohol is hard to notice, so much flavor here. Malty, sweet and sour. Chocolate raspberry tart. Full bodied, smooth and well carbonated. One of the most unique beers produced by Draai Laag, and that's saying something.

4.09/5  rDev -2.6%

4.02/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Aged with Nebbiolo grapes. Has a very mild tart tone to it. Either that or my gauge has been so blown out of proportion that I can't tell what is sour and what isn't anymore, as it is described as tart by the proprietors.

Spiced tones on it with fig tones do seem to be there, as noted. Chocolate and raspberry are quite evident as well since they were added during the process. The flavor profile is thick. Honestly, I think this one could be aged down quite a bit to bring some character out. However, that ain't gonna happen. These guys can't make it fast enough, it seems. And as this is my first beer from them, I can see why.

Edit, in addition: got a sample of this for a non-beer-lover and she liked it better than the Belgian beer samples I got for her at Sharp Edge.

Framboise Noir from Draai Laag Brewing Company