Fiddlehead IPA | Fiddlehead Brewing Company

Fiddlehead Brewing Company
Vermont, United States
fiddleheadbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

This medium bodied American style IPA has an alluring golden glow and beautifully blends three strains of hops. While strong citrus notes ambush your taste buds halfway through the palate, the beer finishes very crisp and dry.

Added by Brad007 on 01-01-2012

Reading older reviews makes me think this beer has changed over time. I had this on tap at two locations, then visited the brewery twice, and both times shared a 64oz over pizza, then filled 3x 64oz growlers, so I've had lots of it.

Fiddlehead's IPA is my 2nd favorite IPA after Treehouse's Julius. It's incredibly well-balanced, very fruity, and juicy. Break down:

A - Hazy orange unfiltered goodness. Pours with a one finger head if you're careful, or a bigger head if you're not.

S - Starts with grapefruit and some tropical fruit. As the beer warms it becomes much more flavorful and I smell guava, passionfruit, and mostly peach juice.

T - Follows the nose. I regularly drink high IBU (>100) beers, so the bitterness on this one barely registers. Mostly tastes very fruity - sharper citrus when cold, and opens up wonderfully as it warms until it tastes like a juice box. By the end of each glass it tastes like peach juice mixed with other tropical juice.. In fact, my group called this IPA 'Juicy Juice' by the end of the trip. I'm not sure where others get 'crackers', 'biscuits', 'earthly', or 'grassy' as I didn't get any of that at all. Everyone's different, but it makes me thing they've been working on the hop profile with a very positive result.

M - Perfect.

O - A fantastic IPA. If I could get my hands on it, I would always have this in my fridge!

I love this beer!!

4.99/5  rDev +23.2%

This s the perfect IPA for me. I love this beer. Mouthfeel is tremendous. I wish I could get my hands on it more often. Perfect perfect Perfect. I must go to northern VT more often.

4.99/5  rDev +23.2%

One of my favorite beers. The citrusy aroma is followed by a bitter starting taste, that transitions into a citrusy burst of tropical flavors to balance the brew. It goes down easy and is great after a day of skiing or hiking in the Green Mountain State.

4.98/5  rDev +23%

Unfiltered, cloudy look. Strong hops, not to much citrus.

4.95/5  rDev +22.2%

4.91/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fiddlehead IPA - Tap from "Growlette"

The other day it was my wife's birthday and one of the things we did was go over to Fiddlehead. Our daughter goes to school with the owner's son and it was long overdue. Nice operation he has going there, hard to believe it's only been less than two years.

Look - Pours a hazy golden with just a twinge of amber. Moderate, bubbly head that dissipates at a medium pace. Good lacing. Minimal carbonation. (Latest edit, look is about the same, this latest batch had great lacing).

Smell - Citrus (grapefruit) hops and slight smooth malts, floral, mouth watering and fresh. (Latest edit, this again but a bit more oomph, if that makes sense, super super juicy and dank Galaxy hops).

Taste - Spices with a pinch of malt comes in first, then hops rest on the palette. Super smooth and crisp. (Latest edit, juicier than before, almost has a puckering effect which is excellent)

Mouthfeel - Rests bitter hoppy but not overbearing, casual drinkers would enjoy (as well as seasoned craft drinkers). Alcohol is detectable but it is not overly boozy. (Latest edit, a little warmer than before but also a lot smoother and more drinkable).

Overall - Interesting focus on hops instead of malt or malt blending. Great brew made by a friend, if you are in the Burlington, VT area, stop by and have a few of their samples, they have three different samples at any given time. (Latest edit, this is now one of my favorite beers, the careful ingredient selection has really refined this into an amazing brew)

EDIT: October 13th, 2013

The dankness and freshness of the hops in the latest batch skyrockets this brew for me up to the top of the list, it has been slowly evolving over the past year or so and I now think it deserves a spot at the top of my list.

4.91/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.84/5  rDev +19.5%

4.84/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

What a fantastic IPA! Really tasty & well-balanced! On tap at Longhorn Steakhouse in Burlington, VT!

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

4.79/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Very dank, smells like weed

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fiddlehead IPA from Fiddlehead Brewing Company