Flyin' Monks | Adelbert's Brewery

Adelbert's Brewery
Texas, United States
adelbertsbeer.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Conditioned on oak cubes used by Spirit of Texas Distillery to age their Pecan Street Rum, this ale has complex sweet oak, rum flavors with a warm alcoholic finish. Pair with dark chocolate desserts or bold cheeses.
The power of flight can be achieved through Zen-like focus and concentration. This ale will not help.

Added by Mora2000 on 10-18-2012

4.81/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.68/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled on 12/10/2013
Appearance:
Medium khaki colored head which fades away rather quickly, minimal head retention most likely due to its high alcohol content. Dark chocolate brown color body.
Nose:
Amazing! Chocolate, maple, sugary, caramel, toasted malt and nutty notes come through strong and weave in and out as well as come forth at different points during the pint.
Palate:
I was initially hit with a complex and distinguished array of flavors that burst forth. As you take a drink, the ABV lets you know it’s there, not by taste but by a delightful warming sensation that is welcomed as you sift through the flavors. I noted: Fruits, apricots, plums, roasted coffee and chicory. It has a huge full bodied mouthfeel and a slight bitter finish that turns into a rich sugary-sweetness that lingers for some time.
Overall:
I’m writing this on a cold, blustery night and I had opened this bottled after a long day of being outside in the cold. Once I popped the cork from this bottle I couldn’t be happier with my selection for the evening. This beer definitely needs to be tried and is easily the best quadruple I have ever had the good fortune to drink.

-BeerandWhiskeyHQ.com

4.6/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.59/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.54/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.52/5  rDev +16.8%

4.39/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I was really impressed by this one. I'd had one other by the brewery that wasn't bad but wasn't quite my taste. This one was a standout for its richness of dark fruit flavor, caramel, raisin and maybe a bit of nuttiness. Really nice dark Belgian quad.

4.38/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml Corked & Caged Bottle ($14.62) 10.9%ABV Bottled on Nov. 6, 2014
Quadrupel Aged with Oak Rum Cubes Brewed & Bottled in Austin, Texas
Poured into an Ommegang Brew Stem

Look: Dark reddish brown murky colour. Looks really decadent & rich. Lots of little campagne bubbles erupting from the very bottom of the stem. If poured quickly into the stem you'll get a 1" thick creme brulee coloured head, that dissipates some what quick, leaving a nice 1/8' ring of foam around the glass.

Nose: No mistaking the booziness of this one, along with deep dark sour cherry aromas, mixd in with black raisin, hint of cinnamon. If you let it warm enough (recommended) you may even notice some deep dark chocolate notes. All mixed in with slight malty breadiness. You'll know this is a heavy one.

Taste: When served chilled, as recommended, initially, strong sour cherry notes, more than I care for. There is no doubt of the alcohol content in this. For some, it may seem even more than the stated 10.9%. This needs to warm in order to acheive some balance, letting other flavors of raisin and cinnamon come through. As it warms more of the rum imbued oak cubes come through. Some sweetness comes through as well, as it warms. Very comlex brew!

Feel: WOW! This is a HEAVY one (IMO)! Very thick, heavy, almost chewy quality to it! This is why we like quads, right? Almost a cognac or really good oporto quality to it, as far as feel.

Overall: Although it is very strong sour dark cherry, upon initial chilled pour, a bit much for me, I enjoy how it balances out a bit as it warms up in temp. I imagine this will pair very well with, say, a filet mignon seasoned moderately with black pepper, or any other "earthy" entree. It'll also pair with a deep dark chocolate and real earthy cheeses in my estimation. Very good brew!

4.32/5  rDev +11.6%

4.31/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

$ 12.00 (Including tax)/25.4 oz bottle ($ 0.472/oz) at Spec’s Liquor Store 14623
Batch 11 bottled 7/20/15 (purchased 3/7/16) at 42 degrees allowed to warm to 55 degrees into a hand washed and dried JK snifter
Aroma initially very strong of rum and alcohol, quickly fades to a more demure date/plum wafting
Head large (Maximum 5.5 cm, aggressive pour), light brown, thin and frothy, diminishing to a three mm ring and partial layer
Lacing - none
Body – deep brown with some hints of red, clear as seen around the edges but so dark as to be opaque through the diameter of the glass
Flavor – fruity, slightly sweet, mostly date-, plum-, fig-ish types of dark fruit flavors, well blended
Palate – full, bordering on syrupy, soft carbonation after some initial fizziness

“I like big beers and I cannot lie” and that’s the extent of my ability to parody songs – time to call Weird Al. Quads are one of my favorite styles of beer and this one is pretty good. After the initial “POP” of the cork, followed by no foaming and a blast of in-my-face rum and alcohol gust, the aroma settled to a pleasing generic “dark fruit” balm. As I poured aggressively, the head threated to overflow the lip unless I paused. I did, and allowed the cascade of froth to slow down before I continued pouring. The head was thin and ephemeral, lacking the mousse-like density of a good Belgian quad - it rapidly returned to CO2 and liquid. The flavor cannot be faulted – it captures the essence of a well-crafted quad – dark fruit phenolics and esters abound, a pleasure for the taste buds. There is no vanillin from the oak cubes – if the label didn’t tell me, I wouldn’t have known they were ever used, except for the initial rum assault. A little syrupy to my palate, but still a pleasing and highly drinkable offering from Adelbert’s.

Appearance 3.75, Aroma 4, Flavor 4.5, Palate 4.25, Overall 4.5.

4.28/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.27/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Well a truly a great example of a no frills Quad. All the classic boxes are checked for this: color, foam, aroma, taste, mouthfeel, and finish. Only mark against I would give is the booze comes through a smidge too much for my liking when I first sipped but did subside as it warmed thankfully. I would definitely get another if I could but am keeping one for a couple years to see what happens.

From the bottle into two New Belgium snifters with etchings.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25