't Gaverhopke Extra | Brouwerij 't Gaverhopke

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by NeroFiddled on 08-17-2009

1.18/5  rDev -69.4%
look: 1 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

330ml bottle. Beer is gushing everywhere on the table and the carpet. Saving two fingers, aroma is of tart vinegar and sugary caramel. Watery. Taste presents infections.

1.5/5  rDev -61.1%

1.68/5  rDev -56.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Bad sugary aroma and taste. Lot of alchool. Unbalanced

1.69/5  rDev -56.2%

No freshness date carved. Bit of beige head and dark brown beer with tons of big haze particles. Nose is very sweet and infact whee and unfresh vegetables. No this is far from fresh and hard to put myself over the point to still try this brew. Wellporty, oxidised, straw, phenolic bitterness a to me a nightmare. No this is too strange to me and can't imagine it was ment to taste this way... though all beers from gaverhopke go in this direction.

2.24/5  rDev -42%

Thanks for sharing, Bobby.

A: The pour is hazy brown in color with a small khaki head.

S: The nose starts off with a light fruitiness with some toasted bread. There is a touch of tart fruits, mostly raisins and plums. Initially it is somewhat metallic which only gets worse as it sits for a moment. There is also a little bit of grass.

T: From start to finish, this is very metallic and minerally. There is some sweet toffee and bread, but that's about all the positive things I can say about it. It's lightly tart with some lemon and green apple. A touch of booze, too.

M: Medium bodied with full carbonation.

O: Poor aroma and flavor, very disappointing.

2.5/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

33cl bottle @ the Diester Bierfestival on 20 Oct 2012, labelled as 'Den Twaalf.'

Dirty washing up water brown: scummy head, not a good start.

Strange farmyard esters: fruity, yet with a grubby feel to the smell.

Semi-sour moving towards vinegarous in the taste and mouth feel: did I try a bottle with a yeast infection? No according to a couple on my table it had been the same when they'd had it elsewhere and many months before. Tried to enjoy it, but failed.

A long way from being a good quadrupel on the evidence I had in my glass: the wife didn't like her portion either!

2.73/5  rDev -29.3%

So...been wanting to try this for a while now...hmmm.
Appears a transparent ruby red with a small white cap that quickly fades into a gentle collar. Spotty bits of lacing.
Smell is sweet prune juice, red raspberries, jam, juice, red wine, wineberries.
Taste...oh, boy. I applauded their efforts here. Very sweet with caramel and intense berry jam like a big Pinot noir. Interesting but I'm just not feeling it. Starts sweet, finishes sweet.
Mouthfeel is full bodied, chewy, syrupy, with a plastic flavor clinging during the swallow. Man, just too much going on and way too sweet with too much heat. Can't do it. Just can't even finish it. Leaving my glass here. Bummer. :(

2.75/5  rDev -28.8%

2.85/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

I picked up a bottle of Brouwerij 't Gaverhopke's Extra a couple months ago for $4.69 at The Lager Mill. I was picking up a few different Belgian beers and I thought I would take a chance on this one, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 11.2oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, but it's pretty simple looking and it isn't that eye catching. It poured a dark red brown color that took on more of a dark red hue when held to the light with pretty much no head at all just some bubbles that clung together for a little bit and it didn't leave any lacing behind. This wasn't the best looking beer, I wish it had some head and lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a low amount of high sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart a grainy, toasted, caramel, bready, bread crust and wheat like aromas followed by a big sweet and fruity aroma with some dark fruit and slight cherry like aromas seeming to stick out. Up next come a lighter vinegar like aroma with a strange nutty aroma towards the end. The aroma was ok, but it was a little strange.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a weird watery fruit flavors that reminds me of watered down juicy juice and there also an acidic lighter vinegar flavor. Up next comes the malts which impart all the aspects that I got in the aroma with toasted, grainy, caramel, and bread crust flavors seeming to stick out the most. On the finish there's a somewhat lighter amount of medium tartness, with some grainy and toasted flavors showing up in the aftertaste. This was an ok tasting beer, I think the flavors seemed to clash a little and it was almost as strange as the aroma.

M- Not the smoothest, a little acidic, not crisp at all, on the somewhat lighter side of being medium bodied with a very low amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't that great, it needed some carbonation.

Overall I wasn't a big fan of this beer and I didn't think it was a good example of the style, it didn't really have most of the aspects that I look for in the style and If I tried this blind I think there would be no way that I would guess this was a Belgian Strong Dark Ale, to me it's a little similar to Flanders Red or something like that. This beer didn't have good drinkability, the alcohol was hidden very well and it wasn't filling, but the taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention and I think half the bottle is enough for me, the acidity might start to wear on me after more than that. What I like the most about this beer was how well the alcohol was hidden, I was really surprised that hardly any alcohol showed up in the flavor and aroma. What I liked the least about this beer was the how the flavors clashed, to me the toasted, caramel and grainy flavors didn't work well with the acidic vinegar like flavors. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I wouldn't recommend it either. All in all I didn't really enjoy this beer, it was had an odd combination of flavors and aromas that didn't work that well together. This didn't make for a good first impression for this brewery and I'll be thinking twice before I think about buyinh any more of their beers. Better luck next time guys, this one just wasn't for me.

2.89/5  rDev -25.1%

Pours no head so there is no lace. Murky brown color, ton of yeast left in bottle. Very light carbonation and medium bodied. Sour fruit nose and flavor is sour fruit, no sweet malt as some raters have mentioned. Not my idea of a BSDA. High ABV is hidden. $5.99 for a 330ml bottle from Julio's Liquors Marlboro, MA.

2.95/5  rDev -23.6%

I poured this one from a stubby Belgian 11.2oz brown bottle into a Duvel tulip snifter.

A= This ale poured a red-brown color with an odd mixture of clarity and huge chunks of sediment. Seriously, this beer sat immobile in my fridge for months so the floaties should have settled and been at a minimum yet there was a swirling cloud of chunks present. The head rose just 1/2" and quickly settled down to a thin ring. No lace to speak of.

S= Smelled very much like...shit. Seriously, this really took me by surprise as I was expecting a Belgian strong dark ale that smelled malty and sweet and what I got was a sour smelling oud bruin with some serious infection/funk aromas.

T= Well, it was better than the smell, I'll give it that. Mostly sour tart flavor up front, with some dark malty sweetness peeking out from underneath every now and then. Slight fruitiness midway, but the sourness carried through to a tart and dry finish.

MF= Medium bodied with a spritzy effervescent carbonation feel.

D= This was really a disappointment. Either it is something other than advertised or this had an unintentional wild yeast infection that simply ruined the flavor. Even if I was looking at this in the style of Belgian sour/wild ale I wouldn't think it was very drinkable.

Bottle from pipe n pint in gso. Pours a murky, muddy brown very typical for the style. Aroma is a lot of raisin and a little earthy. A touch of other fruity esthers in there too. Flavor is very fruity with some cherry, prune and raisin. A bit of a gritty texture to it. Pretty quick on the finish and a little touch of alcohol on the back of the palate. Goes down pretty easy but nothing compared to the complexity of many of the standouts in this style.

3.27/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours a clear ruby, crowned with an inch of downy white head. Lighter and clearer than the stand-outs in this style.

There's a huge banana smell balanced with some caramel sweetness. There's a slight acidic quality on the nose, but not enough to be off putting. I'm not getting the broad complex spiciness that would cause me to loiter over the smell.

Mouthfeel is lighter and more carbonated than I like to see in this category.

There's more complexity on the tastebuds. The massive banana flavors are accompanied by coriander, dark bread, sweet molassess and a slight citric tang. Not as sweet as most of the headliners in this style. Without that sweet backbone, the hop bitterness come through more on the finish than I am accustomed to.

3.31/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not a big fan, winey, boozy, has a metallic aftertaste, very disappointed

3.32/5  rDev -14%

Pours chestnut brown with a very small tan head and just a slight amount of lacing. Aroma is caramel candy, toffee and malt. Tastes of candy apples, and very sweet dates, with sugar-coated raisins. Not much hops leaves the malt abit unbalanced, so that sweetness dominates all aspects of this one. Alcohol is not well hidden.

't Gaverhopke Extra from Brouwerij 't Gaverhopke